Code for Wizardtorium

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Jtarz
Initiate

Code for Wizardtorium

Post by Jtarz »

One of the earlier posts suggests that you need the Reveal Map spell to get the code that opens the Wizardtorium. I haven't got it and none of the merchants has it either at this point. I don't want to spend hours walking around waiting for it to show up in a merchant's inventory. Is there another way to get it? (the suggestion of added brightness didn't work for me)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Code for Wizardtorium

Post by SpottedShroom »

Well, you could cheat and use the editor - either give yourself the spell or check the properties of the lock to figure out the combination.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Press ESC to open the game menu. Under 'Options', right click on 'Game Brightness' 20 times to bring it up to 100%. If it is not raining, overcast, or night time, you can see the combination without the need for this spell.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Jtarz
Initiate

Post by Jtarz »

Alas, the brightness fix in Options doesn't do anything for me, wherever the code is supposed to be showing. I'm on a Max running the current version of Max OS (10.9.2) with the display brightness at max in System Preferences.

And having installed XQuartz. I downloaded the "fixed" version of Eschalon Utils but it won't open for me either.

In any case, it certainly shouldn't be necessary to resort to an editor to solve a key point in the game. Add this to the bug list.

J
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

This is not a key point in the game, just a nice but small bonus area. It's not really a bug as you can see it with the use of in-game functions, though not every build can.
Here's where the code is:
[+] SPOILER
It's just north of the sign that says something along the lines of "The path is open to those who can reveal the way." It is a slightly lighter gray on the floor, and should be completely visible in daylight.

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Glossome
Apprentice

Post by Glossome »

Really? It was written somewhere on the floor? I just cast a Revel Map spell while standing in front of the lock and it was literally written as plain as day in the area on the map NW of where my character was. I had no idea it was on the floor. Heh.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Glossome wrote:Really? It was written somewhere on the floor? I just cast a Revel Map spell while standing in front of the lock and it was literally written as plain as day in the area on the map NW of where my character was. I had no idea it was on the floor. Heh.
That's what I meant by the floor - you can see it on the minimap, it's not part of a sign or anything.
So it wasn't on the floor of the hallway you're standing in, just on the floor of the void north of you.

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Update on this. I also have a Mac running 10.9.2 and even with the brightness booster all the way up I could not see the difference between the black and the slightly less black. HOWEVER, I did find a way to see it. Just turn on the tactical grid. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Calathon
Marshall

Post by Calathon »

The brightness booster does not do anything in my case as well, and I am running a Windows system. Maybe it has something to do with CRT or LED monitors? What helps with the code for the Wizardtorium is to make a screenshot when standing "beneath" the sign and then brighten it up (the screenshot) with an image editing program to see the code.

EDIT: @Kreador Freeaxe: How do you see the code by pressing TAB? I did see some grids but no code... :?:
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Calathon wrote:EDIT: @Kreador Freeaxe: How do you see the code by pressing TAB? I did see some grids but no code... :?:
If you look carefully at the patterns of those grids, you can work out what the code is. Not as clean and clear as with Reveal Map, but it's there.
---

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Calathon wrote:EDIT: @Kreador Freeaxe: How do you see the code by pressing TAB? I did see some grids but no code... :?:
If you look carefully at the patterns of those grids, you can work out what the code is. Not as clean and clear as with Reveal Map, but it's there.
After a playthrough where I combined Reveal Map and the TAB key, I have all of the possible codes in my notes. The only one that absolutely jumped out at me was the number 7. Incidentally, I have yet to see any numbers used but 5 through 9.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Painted Lady wrote:After a playthrough where I combined Reveal Map and the TAB key, I have all of the possible codes in my notes. The only one that absolutely jumped out at me was the number 7. Incidentally, I have yet to see any numbers used but 5 through 9.
Pretty sure it's entirely random, as I had a 2, 3, and 4 in the code in my current play-through.
---