Grammar and Spelling Mistakes - Part I

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Grammar and Spelling Mistakes - Part I

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I will do this for you.
You're awesome. Thanks!
Would you like a list of every change I make?

Nope. I trust you.
Or perhaps a list of changes I cannot make because they are hard-coded into the game or come from images?
This would be very helpful to me. Thanks again.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

A request to PM:

I know you prefer things like "400 gold pieces" spelled out as "four hundred gold pieces", but can you hold off on those kinds of changes until others weigh in on that topic? I know I personally prefer the "numerical" form in something like Eschalon, even if it is "less correct" grammatically.

I think I haven't had any other problems with your suggested changes outside of this "numbers vs. words" issue.

Oh, one other thing: I vote for making "Geomarker" one word in all instances where it is used.

Thanks! :)
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:I know I personally prefer the "numerical" form in something like Eschalon, even if it is "less correct" grammatically.
I too would actually generally prefer the numerical form over the written-out version, though I'd be unlikely to notice if it did change.
Oh, one other thing: I vote for making "Geomarker" one word in all instances where it is used.
Agreed here, as well.

And yes, many thanks for taking the time to go through all this!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Sticking with the numerics, in this case, is also much better for our friends who aren't native English speakers, and it will make that portion of the translations that much easier. One needn't keep with full Strunk & White grammar for something like this. The first goal is clarity, and in this case numbers will be more clear than words.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Sticking with the numerics, in this case, is also much better for our friends who aren't native English speakers, and it will make that portion of the translations that much easier.
I really agree with this. Even with minimal understanding of the English language, numbers are still (for the most part) numbers. 400 is easier to understand than "four hundred".
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

OK, PM - spell description grammar and spelling fixes and suggestions are now up in the forum, here.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Hey there - one more potential hard-coded typo might be the use of a "smart" apostrophe in the title of "A Bar Brawler's Guide." All the other apostrophes used in items are regular ASCII apostrophes, but the one in A Bar Brawler's Guide is of the sort very commonly found on Windows systems.

I'm not actually sure if it would count as a bug, since "smart quotes" are used in at least one other item's script, but it probably does make sense to be consistent with the other items. (And, for modders editing "global" map items, using an ordinary apostrophe might be better anyway.)