hostile townspeople (Minor Spoiler, Maybe)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
noname
Marshall

hostile townspeople (Minor Spoiler, Maybe)

Post by noname »

How do you change the attitude of people hostile? I've got 2 vital tradesmen in Moonrise and old Moonrise angry at me. I can't just kill them because they sell the needed spells and they seem to be the only ones who do. I don't have a save far enough back because I didn't know they were hostile untill I had played much further in the game. When I went back to see if they had any good spells they only attacked me. I can't use spark any longer as a pure mage I need something much more powerful. Whats' irritating is that they are hostile because I broke into the secret place in Moonrise, which is the only way to get in. And why is that magic shop owner in Old Moonrise mad at me? Please don't tell me that I've got to start over!
john1v6
Apprentice

Re: hostile townspeople (Minor Spoiler, Maybe)

Post by john1v6 »

I haven't tried it myself, but I've read on other threads that you can Charm them, either by spell or by flask. The other common answer I've seen is, "Delete the map files for that area," if you need a more brute-force solution. Good luck
There are two kinds of people in the world: Us and Them
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I believe that charming them does work, and I know that resetting the map file does. If you do reset the map file though, you could obviously abuse the regenerated items, etc. It's up to you.
I can tell you why the mage in Old Moonrise is probably mad at you:
After you stole copious amounts of money from Lucky, did you, by chance, kill him? If the store owner sees you attack Lucky, even though Lucky is attacking you, the store owner will turn on you.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Vroqren wrote:I believe that charming them does work, and I know that resetting the map file does. If you do reset the map file though, you could obviously abuse the regenerated items, etc. It's up to you.
I can tell you why the mage in Old Moonrise is probably mad at you:
After you stole copious amounts of money from Lucky, did you, by chance, kill him? If the store owner sees you attack Lucky, even though Lucky is attacking you, the store owner will turn on you.
Yeah, that explains it. I did have to kill Lucky but only because he became hostile when I won the gamble and his money. It was a fair deal and not a steal. I figured that if I didn't kill him every time I returned to that shop he would be near ready to attack. It doesn't seem right that people should turn hostile so easily.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

A flask of charm cloud or the charm spell is the only non-cheating way to make people friendly again, and it won't work on Valx, the mage in Old Moonrise, because he's too powerful. The cheating ways are to delete the 4849.* files from your save directory or to use the map editor to manually change their "friendly" value.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

SpottedShroom wrote:A flask of charm cloud or the charm spell is the only non-cheating way to make people friendly again, and it won't work on Valx, the mage in Old Moonrise, because he's too powerful. The cheating ways are to delete the 4849.* files from your save directory or to use the map editor to manually change their "friendly" value.
Thank you. You're right. After camping out for months trying to get the spell or a flask only to find out that they won't work with Valx. Looks like a bad design decision here. There seems to be no purpose for Lucky. If you gamble and lose, you lose so why bother. If you win he attacks you. If you just steal from his trunk he attacks. No point at all.
john1v6
Apprentice

Post by john1v6 »

The purpose of Lucky is to get a massive influx of gold. If you wait until you have ~20k or so, gamble and win, you'll have 40k. He's the "cheat mode" for beating the Wealthy Lord challenge. So what if he's a sore loser and attacks? If you don't want to kill him, run away quickly. Drop a powder keg on the way out to block the exit behind you
There are two kinds of people in the world: Us and Them
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

john1v6 wrote:The purpose of Lucky is to get a massive influx of gold. If you wait until you have ~20k or so, gamble and win, you'll have 40k. He's the "cheat mode" for beating the Wealthy Lord challenge. So what if he's a sore loser and attacks? If you don't want to kill him, run away quickly. Drop a powder keg on the way out to block the exit behind you
Interesting: I never thought of that. You would need 2 powder kegs though,one for each door. Pretty hard for a mage to carry 2 powder kegs. That's what I like about these games: there are so many possibilities to explore. Edit: My mistake- there is only one door.
Last edited by noname on March 10th, 2014, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

john1v6 wrote:The purpose of Lucky is to get a massive influx of gold. If you wait until you have ~20k or so, gamble and win, you'll have 40k. He's the "cheat mode" for beating the Wealthy Lord challenge. So what if he's a sore loser and attacks? If you don't want to kill him, run away quickly. Drop a powder keg on the way out to block the exit behind you
You should also be able to use Dazzling Flame spells to corral Lucky (I haven't tried it yet though). Casting that should prevent him from going outside, so you can kill Lucky out of the sight of nosy townfolk... (unless their seeing you is part of the current "far-sighted bug" that Book III NPCs currently have...).
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

IJBall wrote: You should also be able to use Dazzling Flame spells to corral Lucky (I haven't tried it yet though). Casting that should prevent him from going outside, so you can kill Lucky out of the sight of nosy townfolk... (unless their seeing you is part of the current "far-sighted bug" that Book III NPCs currently have...).
He might also be too strong for Dazzling Flame to affect. I confess I think it's a crappy spell and never learn it, so I'm not 100% on how it works.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

In my experience line of sight does not seem to matter when turning a townman hostile. They become hostile even when behind a wall and cannot see you. It seems to me that distance is the factor.I have never used Charm or Dazzlilng Flame either. They seem to be effective only on low level enemies and it is easier to just not get surrounded and use damage dealing spells instead. I'm never interested in prolonging a fight. I just blast them with everything I have.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:
IJBall wrote: You should also be able to use Dazzling Flame spells to corral Lucky (I haven't tried it yet though). Casting that should prevent him from going outside, so you can kill Lucky out of the sight of nosy townfolk... (unless their seeing you is part of the current "far-sighted bug" that Book III NPCs currently have...).
He might also be too strong for Dazzling Flame to affect. I confess I think it's a crappy spell and never learn it, so I'm not 100% on how it works.
If Dazzling Flame works on the Basilisk, my guess is that it works on any NPC or Mob in the game (though I will certainly test that now) - and, FTR, if that's true, I like that and would leave the spell as is (it looks like really powerful Mobs are only terrorized for 2-3 turns, rather than 20, so that seems like a really fair implementation of the spell...).

The spell that's useless, though, is Entangle - that doesn't work at all on lots of Mobs... :(
agnari
Senior Steward

Post by agnari »

I too beat lucky one game and tried the charm III potion I'd picked up. he was too strong and it didn't affect him.
Adventuring my way thru RPGs one pixel at a time.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

agnari wrote:I too beat lucky one game and tried the charm III potion I'd picked up. he was too strong and it didn't affect him.
I was really hoping it would work on him, since it would let you keep gambling with him ad infinitum.
Calathon
Marshall

Post by Calathon »

SpottedShroom wrote:
agnari wrote:I too beat lucky one game and tried the charm III potion I'd picked up. he was too strong and it didn't affect him.
I was really hoping it would work on him, since it would let you keep gambling with him ad infinitum.
A little off topic, but: I was wondering why Lucky has enough money to keep up with any amount the player brings in while he states that he went bankrupt after the closure of his gambling hall. :wink:
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."