Eschalonian Darwin Awards

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
john1v6
Apprentice

Eschalonian Darwin Awards

Post by john1v6 »

So there I was, facing off against Baizel. I was standing in a doorway, so I could shoot her and her entourage, but still back up and make a one-monster bottleneck if needed. I was launching Fireballs at her, trying to pick off the nearby skeletons, and she was advancing toward me. Suddenly, my character screamed, and I got the "You have died" screen. Right before the screen came up, I figured out my error:

The "doorway" I was standing in was an open portcullis. As Baizel got closer, the blast radius from my Fireball tripped the lever controlling said portcullis, and it came down and crushed me. :oops:

Anyone else gotten yourself killed in a spectacularly stupid way? Want to share how it happened?
There are two kinds of people in the world: Us and Them
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Eschalonian Darwin Awards

Post by Randomizer »

In Omentor Temple I was facing a swarm of undead that I was fireballing away when I died. I was within the area of effect of my own fireballs. So I fried myself.
Calathon
Marshall

Post by Calathon »

I once blew up myself with a powder keg. I intended to look into a certain direction by holding SHIFT+cursor but unfortunately I overlooked the keg and SHIFT-klicked it... :shock:
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Calathon wrote:I once blew up myself with a powder keg. I intended to look into a certain direction by holding SHIFT+cursor but unfortunately I overlooked the keg and SHIFT-klicked it... :shock:
I carry around a powder keg just so that I can do that any time I get a disease (force restart). Immaculate's actually pretty easy, even with the game settings all on. I did eventually have to start carrying around two of them though in my hammers build. One wouldn't kill me.

But, for my addition: Luring a skeleton archer into the trapped throne room underground in the Castle Ruins and having him step on a pressure plate.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
john1v6
Apprentice

Post by john1v6 »

I had another close call last night, barely catching it at the last moment:

First pick up the powder keg you're standing next to, then cast Supernova
There are two kinds of people in the world: Us and Them
Ssschah
Council Member

Post by Ssschah »

If we include book II, I surrounded myself with a dozen+ bonebiter's in the final area and attacked korren. They witnessed me commit a crime and ate me alive lol.
Weird Heather
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Weird Heather »

Randomizer wrote:In Omentor Temple I was facing a swarm of undead that I was fireballing away when I died. I was within the area of effect of my own fireballs. So I fried myself.
I've done that in Book II, and I didn't learn my lesson and did the same thing again in Book III. I don't remember for certain who the enemies were; they may have been goblins. I didn't quite go far enough to die, but I came out of the situation badly damaged.

I also stood too close to a keg while blowing open a container, and I got to see the death screen as a result. I'm sure this one is a common mistake. Also, I remember that in Book II, I attacked one with a melee weapon because I didn't have any ranged weapons or spells available at the time, and I promptly blew up.