Unusable pentagrams

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Post Reply
salsaman
Initiate
Posts: 11
Joined: February 22nd, 2014, 4:39 pm

Unusable pentagrams

Post by salsaman » March 9th, 2014, 7:51 pm

There are a few pentagrams in the game which transport you to other places - for example in the witch's lair.

However there are some which seem to have no function:
- north of Rockhammer
- northwest of Macross point (+ shaped)
- underground in a sealed room in Moonrise dungeon

What was the idea behind these ? It seems odd just to have them for decoration. Were they planned to be used ? Are they there for expansion packs ?

User avatar
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1371
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Re: Unusable pentagrams

Post by SpottedShroom » March 9th, 2014, 8:29 pm

salsaman wrote:There are a few pentagrams in the game which transport you to other places - for example in the witch's lair.

However there are some which seem to have no function:
- north of Rockhammer
- northwest of Macross point (+ shaped)
- underground in a sealed room in Moonrise dungeon

What was the idea behind these ? It seems odd just to have them for decoration. Were they planned to be used ? Are they there for expansion packs ?
The first two are decorative. The one near Omentor is supposed to contribute to that dungeon's creepy external appearance, I think. The one in Rockhammer BW has specifically said is for expansion/mod use. The third one does do something, but you may not want to find out what it is. Let me know if you want a spoiler.

salsaman
Initiate
Posts: 11
Joined: February 22nd, 2014, 4:39 pm

Re: Unusable pentagrams

Post by salsaman » March 9th, 2014, 10:09 pm

Thankyou for the explanation.

I have played through the game, so a spoiler would be fine.

User avatar
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1371
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Re: Unusable pentagrams

Post by SpottedShroom » March 10th, 2014, 2:25 am

salsaman wrote:I have played through the game, so a spoiler would be fine.
[+] SPOILER
If you annoy the dimensional eye guardian of the repository, he will teleport you into the cell. It's possible to escape, but only with careful planning.

Morgan Terror
Steward
Posts: 65
Joined: August 12th, 2012, 6:13 am

Re: Unusable pentagrams

Post by Morgan Terror » March 12th, 2014, 12:09 pm

There's another one behind a destroyable fence in a secret area in the rockhammer region. It's got two levers, but i've never managed to flick the one on the right. It's got a letter S written on it, apparently, but it means nothing to me.

raverdave2k
Senior Council Member
Posts: 224
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 6:06 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Unusable pentagrams

Post by raverdave2k » March 12th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Morgan Terror wrote:There's another one behind a destroyable fence in a secret area in the rockhammer region. It's got two levers, but i've never managed to flick the one on the right. It's got a letter S written on it, apparently, but it means nothing to me.
[+] SPOILER
You can only ever flick one or the other of those levers (unless you use a certain spell) S gives you an extra skill point at the next level up, A gives an extra attribute point.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here

User avatar
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1371
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Re: Unusable pentagrams

Post by SpottedShroom » March 12th, 2014, 12:53 pm

raverdave2k wrote:
[+] SPOILER
You can only ever flick one or the other of those levers (unless you use a certain spell)
[+] SPOILER
Good point! I always get this secret way before I know Supernova, but probably a powder keg would work, too.

User avatar
IJBall
Major
Major
Posts: 1684
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 11:07 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Unusable pentagrams

Post by IJBall » March 12th, 2014, 12:57 pm

SpottedShroom wrote:
raverdave2k wrote:
[+] SPOILER
You can only ever flick one or the other of those levers (unless you use a certain spell)
[+] SPOILER
Good point! I always get this secret way before I know Supernova, but probably a powder keg would work, too.
This should be considered a 'bug' though, yes?

I'm personally not comfortable with Supernova spell (or power kegs) being "exploitable" that way... :oops:

User avatar
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1371
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Re: Unusable pentagrams

Post by SpottedShroom » March 12th, 2014, 2:50 pm

IJBall wrote: This should be considered a 'bug' though, yes?

I'm personally not comfortable with Supernova spell (or power kegs) being "exploitable" that way... :oops:
Good point. I had a bug open for the Wizardtorium already, but it should be generalized to include this. Probably the right fix is to process the scripts for switches one at a time, even if more than one is switched in a single turn. In other words, right now the order is "flip switch 1; flip switch 2; process script 1; process script 2". It should be "flip switch 1; process script 1; flip switch 2; process script 2" - except that in this case the second flip will fail as a result of the first script.

john1v6
Apprentice
Posts: 24
Joined: February 23rd, 2014, 6:32 pm

Re: Unusable pentagrams

Post by john1v6 » March 12th, 2014, 4:26 pm

I tried a powder keg, placed equidistant to each lever. Only one switch worked.
There are two kinds of people in the world: Us and Them

Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]
Posts: 381
Joined: June 30th, 2008, 8:50 pm

Re: Unusable pentagrams

Post by Farwalker » March 13th, 2014, 3:24 am

I tried that too, multiple attempts some with more than one powder keg. There doesn't seem to be a way to trigger both levers using powder keg explosions.

Never tried supernova though.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests