Unusable pentagrams

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
salsaman
Initiate

Unusable pentagrams

Post by salsaman »

There are a few pentagrams in the game which transport you to other places - for example in the witch's lair.

However there are some which seem to have no function:
- north of Rockhammer
- northwest of Macross point (+ shaped)
- underground in a sealed room in Moonrise dungeon

What was the idea behind these ? It seems odd just to have them for decoration. Were they planned to be used ? Are they there for expansion packs ?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Unusable pentagrams

Post by SpottedShroom »

salsaman wrote:There are a few pentagrams in the game which transport you to other places - for example in the witch's lair.

However there are some which seem to have no function:
- north of Rockhammer
- northwest of Macross point (+ shaped)
- underground in a sealed room in Moonrise dungeon

What was the idea behind these ? It seems odd just to have them for decoration. Were they planned to be used ? Are they there for expansion packs ?
The first two are decorative. The one near Omentor is supposed to contribute to that dungeon's creepy external appearance, I think. The one in Rockhammer BW has specifically said is for expansion/mod use. The third one does do something, but you may not want to find out what it is. Let me know if you want a spoiler.
salsaman
Initiate

Post by salsaman »

Thankyou for the explanation.

I have played through the game, so a spoiler would be fine.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

salsaman wrote:I have played through the game, so a spoiler would be fine.
[+] SPOILER
If you annoy the dimensional eye guardian of the repository, he will teleport you into the cell. It's possible to escape, but only with careful planning.
Morgan Terror
Steward

Post by Morgan Terror »

There's another one behind a destroyable fence in a secret area in the rockhammer region. It's got two levers, but i've never managed to flick the one on the right. It's got a letter S written on it, apparently, but it means nothing to me.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

Morgan Terror wrote:There's another one behind a destroyable fence in a secret area in the rockhammer region. It's got two levers, but i've never managed to flick the one on the right. It's got a letter S written on it, apparently, but it means nothing to me.
[+] SPOILER
You can only ever flick one or the other of those levers (unless you use a certain spell) S gives you an extra skill point at the next level up, A gives an extra attribute point.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

raverdave2k wrote:
[+] SPOILER
You can only ever flick one or the other of those levers (unless you use a certain spell)
[+] SPOILER
Good point! I always get this secret way before I know Supernova, but probably a powder keg would work, too.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:
raverdave2k wrote:
[+] SPOILER
You can only ever flick one or the other of those levers (unless you use a certain spell)
[+] SPOILER
Good point! I always get this secret way before I know Supernova, but probably a powder keg would work, too.
This should be considered a 'bug' though, yes?

I'm personally not comfortable with Supernova spell (or power kegs) being "exploitable" that way... :oops:
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

IJBall wrote: This should be considered a 'bug' though, yes?

I'm personally not comfortable with Supernova spell (or power kegs) being "exploitable" that way... :oops:
Good point. I had a bug open for the Wizardtorium already, but it should be generalized to include this. Probably the right fix is to process the scripts for switches one at a time, even if more than one is switched in a single turn. In other words, right now the order is "flip switch 1; flip switch 2; process script 1; process script 2". It should be "flip switch 1; process script 1; flip switch 2; process script 2" - except that in this case the second flip will fail as a result of the first script.
john1v6
Apprentice

Post by john1v6 »

I tried a powder keg, placed equidistant to each lever. Only one switch worked.
There are two kinds of people in the world: Us and Them
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

I tried that too, multiple attempts some with more than one powder keg. There doesn't seem to be a way to trigger both levers using powder keg explosions.

Never tried supernova though.