Im a bit confused

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Im a bit confused

Post by VDK »

I am level 13 and have just finished the Akadai Underground. I have the Akadai preserved head, I have the 2 crux. The problem is I have looked almost everywhere and just want to advance the story. I have an idea of what is going on in the game. I just want to advance the plot and would like to know how to get to the map or even get on the trail for the map to Alundar.

I am really lost and would like to figure out at least what this entails tonight.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Im a bit confused

Post by xolotl »

VDK wrote:I am really lost and would like to figure out at least what this entails tonight.
You're doing better than I was when I had gotten totally stumped - somehow I had totally missed the easily-visible and right-out-in-the-open raft to Mirkland. I'd even noticed the fish-head spikes, but not the raft. Spent a few days in RL just kind of wandering around trying to figure out what the heck I had missed until stumbling across it again and going, "oh."

Anyway: what maps have you discovered so far? What quests do you still have active?
[+] SPOILER
Been to an area with a bunch of big nasty scorpion things, yet?
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

I havent but unless you consider the rockhammer mines with those creatures? I have finished the Elderoak forest bottom but have absolutely no idea what to do to get to opposite side. There arent really any areas to explore, at least not that I know of.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

VDK wrote:I havent but unless you consider the rockhammer mines with those creatures? I have finished the Elderoak forest bottom but have absolutely no idea what to do to get to opposite side. There arent really any areas to explore, at least not that I know of.
Naw, not the rockhammer mines.

Try exploring counter-clockwise around the map from where you took the raft to Mirkland. You should run into some unexplored areas soon enough!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

[+] SPOILER
Have you talked to the rangers in Elderoak? Once you solve the mystery of the note, you can get to the other side of the river. You can also do as xolotl suggested, but you'll run into some very nasty enemies.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

I've got the impression VDK has already been down in the Emayu witch lair, but can't get through there at some point.
How many machine parts have you got, VDK? Have you solved the chest puzzle in Baizel's hut?
Definitely when you have 4 machine parts gathered - and you would if you have explored all areas - it's time to follow the route Xolotl is suggesting.
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

I am going to break off for a little while. I had a tough time with the game and I dont really have any idea what is going on. I might restart the game but I am not sure. A few things I noticed-

-The game becomes immensely hard if you dont invest in mercantile. I really wish I had done that early on in the game. Its too late right now. I find that my character had no problems with melee and ranged attackers but the spellcaster and magic type like the blue guys-I couldnt take down a group of 4 until I was level 14!
-If I ever replay mercentile is a good choice because you get no items and chance to gain equipment like in Book 1 and book 2.

I was actually thinking of maybe making an evil character and slaughtering Moonrise, and Rockhammer because well, I think the 3rd game is meant for evil characters. Think about it, you got to do all this stuff book 1. And then even more in book 2. By book 3, my character in particular would just want to say fuck this.

If I replay it thats what I will do.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

VDK wrote:-The game becomes immensely hard if you dont invest in mercantile. I really wish I had done that early on in the game.
-If I ever replay mercentile is a good choice because you get no items and chance to gain equipment like in Book 1 and book 2.
I had noticed that it seemed like fewer enemies drop usable loot in B3, though it's been awhile since I've played B1 or B2, so it's possible I'm not remembering properly. I imagine that Mercantile is probably more important for "fighter" type characters who have a more immediate need of gear - when I played through B3 with my mage, I never had more than 1 point in Mercantile, and only felt constrained by gold for the first quarter of the game or so.
Its too late right now. I find that my character had no problems with melee and ranged attackers but the spellcaster and magic type like the blue guys-I couldnt take down a group of 4 until I was level 14!
The Blue Nidaria are tough, certainly. I had more trouble with them than any other group of enemies in the game. I had pretty terrible luck with merchant spell selection for a large chunk of my mage playthrough (I actually literally never saw Fireball for sale), and for the longest time, I literally didn't have anything which could even hurt them.
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

Book 2 was immensely good for fighters with or without mercantile. It really made a difference if you did random encounters. I got through Eschalon Book 2 on my 3rd time beating the game with 9 skill in piercing weapons. I had to scrounge every corner of the playing field for items and boosts to damage and to hit. I fought General Ghorr with this character who had 9 skill in piercing and it was more fun with my previous two characters with 48 skill in swords.
I was trying to find a location that has respawnables in book 3 but so far the wolves in eldercloak are the only one. The problem with them is that they are easy but Blue guys spawn there too. Thats a risky thing. This character can hit those guys but even with 60% magic, elemental and toxin resistance, they can critical on their attacks and cause 40 damage. There's currently 5 of them against one of me. When I do get close they die fairly quick but its still very tough.

Who knows, in another 2 levels I will have 70% resistance to magic and elemental. That might good for the castle or what not at lvl 16.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

VDK wrote:It really made a difference if you did random encounters....
I was trying to find a location that has respawnables in book 3 but so far the wolves in eldercloak are the only one.
There's actually quite a few; a list has been posted on this post, if you don't mind possible spoilers.

Oceana Lowlands (where the "main" goblin encampment is/was) and Castle By The Sea are good places for camping, actually, since the goblins will drop loot as well.

...errrrr, wait, actually, do they? I think I'm remembering that wrong. Anyway, that table I linked to should hopefully help out a little bit, regardless.

Edit: Okay, yeah - I had just been imagining the goblin loot drop (other than the archers, who'd drop arrows only). As that other thread mentioned, if you wanted to gather loot while camping, the Seawarden's Guild looks like your best bet.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:I had noticed that it seemed like fewer enemies drop usable loot in B3, though it's been awhile since I've played B1 or B2, so it's possible I'm not remembering properly.
No, I think the first statement is absolutely objectively true. Just one example - I believe non-Goblin Archers (i.e. Goblin "Warriors" in Book III, "Goblin Hackers" in Book I) dropped loot sacks in Book I, but not so in Book III. Ditto Thugs in Book I & Outlanders in Book II vs. Marauders in Book III. I don't know about usable loot - but I'd definitely say there just plain fewer types of Mobs that drop loot in Book III.

I would say that is one thing I would like revised in Book III, v1.02 - make it so more Mobs actually have the capability to drop loot sacks, even if the 'drop percentage odds' are kept low...
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

Ok I am loving game again and level 19. I currently am at two crossroads. I dont know how to get to Astral Range and have two avenues to take. 1 is to go with Emayu Horace the witch but that is shut because I dont have the key. Or 2 go with skull dungeon which also leaves me thinking.

How many ways are there to get to Astral range? I am loving the game but the enemies are too easy right now.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

There is only one way through to the Astral Range, but there is more to explore.
Weird Heather
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Weird Heather »

xolotl wrote:Oceana Lowlands (where the "main" goblin encampment is/was) and Castle By The Sea are good places for camping, actually, since the goblins will drop loot as well.
I like this one. Goblin bombthugs spawn in Oceana Lowlands. Although they don't seem to drop any loot, they are easy to kill and good sources of experience. You just have to be careful not to let them get too close, and this can be a problem if you are at a high level and five or six of them spawn. I like it when they are all together in a group, and when I destroy one, they all go up in flames.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Weird Heather wrote:I like this one. Goblin bombthugs spawn in Oceana Lowlands. Although they don't seem to drop any loot, they are easy to kill and good sources of experience. You just have to be careful not to let them get too close, and this can be a problem if you are at a high level and five or six of them spawn. I like it when they are all together in a group, and when I destroy one, they all go up in flames.
Yeah, I was wrong about goblins dropping loot - they don't. The Bombthugs are extremely satisfying to farm for XP, though (assuming your character has a ranged ability to deal with them).