Damage Resistance and Weapons

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
rayres
Apprentice

Damage Resistance and Weapons

Post by rayres »

I started playing recently and have a question about damage types. Are there any enemies that resist or are immune to bludgeon? Also, I started out with the bludgeon skill and haven't found a better weapon yet. Will I eventually be able to BUY a bludgeon weapon made of material better than wood? I have only explored Hammer Rock, as far as cities go. I read that the treasure gives out only copper weapons, so I assume that this applies to better materials for bludgeoning weapons? I had a steel battle axe made by the guy in Hammer Rock which is damage base 5, but which is cleaving. I am deciding if I should cut my losses and put points into cleaving instead of bludgeon. (My bludgeon skill level is 3.) I could wait to get a skill trainer for cleaving. I just learned cleaving from a book.

Thanks.

Rob
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Damage Resistance and Weapons

Post by MyGameCompany »

There are some good bludgeoning weapons out there. But usually the merchants near the start of the game have a pretty weak weapon selection for most weapon types. This is true for Books 1 and 2 as well.

The best thing to do is start putting points into your bludgeoning skill. When you get the skill up to 10 points, you gain the special feat that allows you to do extra damage.
[+] SPOILER
By the way, there's a very special bludgeoning weapon in Rockhammer Mine level 2, so it's possible to get this fairly early in the game. But you still need a high bludgeoning skill in order to use it the most effectively.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

There are the salted fungus that take half damage from bludgeoning weapons.

The named bludgeoning weapon can be obtained about level 9.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Why didn't you ask Seamus for a bludgeoning weapon? I thought he could make any kind of weapon, but I could be wrong.
I wouldn't buy a better weapon, something better will come along, but personally I've always preferred to fight with a cheap weapon anyway, since the costs to maintain a weapon are relative to their market value. It can easily amount to hundreds of gold each time to have your equipment repaired, while only a relatively small part of the damage you're doing comes from your weapon, most comes from your attributes and weapon proficiency. I personally don't find the extra cost of a better weapon worth it. Of course I'm assuming having weapon wear on, because it's possible to turn it off.

Bludgeoning weapons deteriorate less quickly than other weapon types, so you have that advantage.

If you're interested in receiving training in a skill, it's better to avoid reading the book, because the lowest levels are the cheapest to receive training in. It's better to first get some levels from a trainer and only then read the book.
rayres
Apprentice

Post by rayres »

I didn't see the option for Seamus to make a bludgeoning weapon, but maybe I missed it.

Thanks.

Rob
dundonalddub
Senior Steward

Post by dundonalddub »

Seamus can only make armor, sword, and axe, none of very high quality. They all show a value of 50, if I remember correctly. :(
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

There is a chance of steel studded vest that is worth the most, 195.
Ssschah
Council Member

Post by Ssschah »

dundonalddub wrote:Seamus can only make armor, sword, and axe, none of very high quality. They all show a value of 50, if I remember correctly. :(
The values may vary. In most cases, they aren't all going to be 50.