Can I store stuff safely in chests?

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
istara
Initiate

Can I store stuff safely in chests?

Post by istara »

Just wondered if it was safe to store stuff in chests. I'm a complete pack rate and have barely any more space in my pack to horde stuff.

Thanks for any advice/info!
istara
Initiate

Re: Can I store stuff safely in chests?

Post by istara »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Taking stuff from chests generally causes nearby NPCs to become hostile if they see you doing it because they think you are stealing from them.

The three chests south of Morwen in Rockhammer is a good place to start your hoard as it is isolated. Barrels are a good alternative too.
Thanks! I had broken into and looted the room across from the Inn and the Weapon Dealer in Rockhammer, and put some (lower value) things in the chest there, without being detected, but if that could cause problems in future I'll remove them!

Just so long as they don't expire/reset over time.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

istara wrote:Thanks! I had broken into and looted the room across from the Inn and the Weapon Dealer in Rockhammer, and put some (lower value) things in the chest there, without being detected, but if that could cause problems in future I'll remove them!
As long as you make sure to close the door behind you when you're opening and closing that chest, it shouldn't be a problem - townfolk can only see you "commit a crime", such as opening a chest, if the door is open and you're in the NPC's direct line-of-sight.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Townspeople don't care if you place things in an open barrel. I use the barrel in the blacksmith's shop in Rockhammer all the time. It's accessing closed chests that irritate the NPCs.