Eschalon Trilogy Post-Mortem

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Eschalon Trilogy Post-Mortem

Post by Painted Lady »

I, for one, am thrilled that you are planning on making more games. This is wonderful news. I was worried you might be abandoning Basilisk Games because you have been so quiet lately. Whew!!
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I should have switched over to a new engine after Book II and made a different game, and only now be starting on Book III with a fresh engine.
I suppose hindsight is 20/20... I might be misremembering this, but I seem to remember you mentioning after Book II that you were looking forward to not having to do significant engine work and just focus on content. :)
I dislike Kickstarter, so I am looking into private financing.
I don't dislike Kickstarter itself, but I do think that it's often not a great solution for funding video games, for various reasons. Hope your search goes well! We'll be looking forward to whatever's next!
Calathon
Marshall

Post by Calathon »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:You're a funny guy, PM.
What, do I amuse you? Do you think I'm a clown? :(
Sounds like "GoodFellas" to me. ;-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWINtUCshxY
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I regret promising three games from the start. I should have switched over to a new engine after Book II and made a different game, and only now be starting on Book III with a fresh engine. I am sorry to all you hardcore fans that I did not do this- it would have been a great way to end the trilogy.
I'll take the liberty to see this differently. Okay, it proved problematic to keep going with the same engine for 10 years, all sorts of technical developments are going very fast, and the limitations of Eschalon's engine were felt more clearly towards the end.
But surely it weren't the hardcore fans who were complaining about engine limitations. They just wanted Book III, and they wouldn't have liked to wait another year or two because of a switch to a new engine. It were newer players who didn't understand the history of the game much and didn't understand how a game of 2014 could come in a fixed resolution.

I think you did it the right way, now you have a clean sheet for doctoring out the next game. Eschalon is history. You promised a trilogy and delivered. In a hectic world like the gaming world this isn't a small achievement.
I hope you're able to get some fresh air in your mind, though, before starting on a next project.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

What KillingMoon said. The world of video game making is littered with the titles of vaporware projects. You did what you set out to do and did it very well. Of course, I can't imagine all the other work I could have completed over the last many years if not for getting lost in Eschalon... ;-) I'm looking forward to getting lost in your next world, as well.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Just want to add my voice to the others. I have thoroughly enjoyed your games, and continue to play them and replay them. The Eschalon games are my all-time favorites. As a former indie game developer myself, I know the incredible amount of effort it takes for one person to make a game on such a big scope, and I really appreciate the resulting games. Please take some time to unwind a bit and relax, so you don't get burned out like I did. I look forward to playing more games from you in the years to come.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland