Is there a way to tweak the item degradation settings?

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Gwendo
Apprentice

Is there a way to tweak the item degradation settings?

Post by Gwendo »

I've tried the demo but I've quit, because I found out it was really ridiculous and boring the rate of degradation of my weapons. Having to bring 3 or 4 swords with me to explore a mine is too annoying and promotes a playstyle I don't like.

I would like to know if that's something that can be tweaked in some file or modded?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to tweak the item degradation settings?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

- Turn off weapon wear in the rules when you start a new game.

- OR -

- Buy/find weapons that are made of harder materials so they done wear out as fast.
- Raise your skill in that weapon category (Swords in your case); more skill means you don't damage your weapons as easily in battle.
- Learn the Repair Skill and fix your weapons as you camp.
- Don't use things like swords for bashing doors and chests; use hammers or axes.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Rings which give you +1 Repair are rather common in the beginning areas, I always just make sure to grab one. With the gear you'll have available at the beginning, the one point is generally quite sufficient. (The repairing takes place while you camp, btw.)
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

If you have one point in unarmed combat you can bash barrels, chests and locked doors with your bare hands without incurring loss of health points. :D
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

In real life, you can dent a copper sword by hitting a rock with it. So it's not completely ridiculous.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

It's fine from a real life point of view, but the opening poster used the words 'boring' and 'playstyle I don't like'.
It can become a bit much indeed to have to run back to the smithy after dealing with every other enemy, or having to carry 3 or 4 weapons.
It interrupts the flow of play, adds a repetitive type of micro management, and it gives mages another advantage, as they don't have to deal with this.

I would have liked it if the degradation only started after a certain amount of hits, maybe a random 8 - 15 hits or so. The frequency with which you have to mind the state of your weapon(s) is rather high.
I did consider turning weapon wear off, which in the end I didn't do, but I've been on the fence about it.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

The Feats causing extra wear is a big nerf on Rangers early in the game. Especially when the best bow you can find is a birch long bow and most of what you have is a pine short bow that will snap after three Feat shots if you can't repair it. But, it just means more care with how you do things. That's my view. It makes me think about what I can and can't take on early.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

I agree. I think the Feat weapon damage helps balance the power of the feats - especially once you pump enough points into your primary weapon skill and the feats recharge every 4 turns. You can't just keep smashing away at enemies by doing FEAT, step, step, step, FEAT, step, step step, FEAT, etc. While I liked the introduction of the feats in Book 2, I did find that it made the game too easy once you maxed out your primary weapon skill. Now you have to watch the condition of your weapon, and maybe carry a spare that you can swap.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

MyGameCompany wrote:I agree. I think the Feat weapon damage helps balance the power of the feats - especially once you pump enough points into your primary weapon skill and the feats recharge every 4 turns. You can't just keep smashing away at enemies by doing FEAT, step, step, step, FEAT, step, step step, FEAT, etc. While I liked the introduction of the feats in Book 2, I did find that it made the game too easy once you maxed out your primary weapon skill. Now you have to watch the condition of your weapon, and maybe carry a spare that you can swap.
Exactly. The first time I realized it was happening was when the birch long bow I'd just bought in Rockhammer shattered in my hands fighting fungus and I had no spare weapon in my inventory as I'd sold the short bow. Talk about your awkward moments. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.