Grammar and Spelling Mistakes - Book III Spells

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
IJBall
Major
Major

Grammar and Spelling Mistakes - Book III Spells

Post by IJBall »

The following, originally planned for use by BW and now intended for use by PM, is a list I've found of the errors (or suggestions for improvement) in spell descriptions in Book III.

If a spell is not listed here, it is because its spell description is considered (by me) to contain no errors.

Errors I consider to be really serious are marked in Red; following PM's formatting, most errors are marked in Blue; suggested improvements are shown in Orange (in general, I think most of these suggestions should be adopted, for reasons like gender-neutral language, etc.):

DIVINATION SPELLS:

Cat's Eyes
Gives the caster cat-like vision in low light. While it can be used as the sole method of visual aid, [it's (should be its)] real power comes from how it enhances other light sources. Under the effects of Cat's Eyes, a common torch seems to produce almost as much light as daylight. Duration of spell is 50 rounds per Casting Level.

Divine Heal
Upon casting, you are bathed in divine light which binds your external physical wounds. Heals 3-6 Hit Points for every casting level. The spell does not heal the [fibre (should be fiber)] of the body which may be infected with disease, or remove poisons which may course through the blood.

Entangle
Causes vines and tanglebrush to rise from the ground, ensnaring a target. Spell duration is 4 rounds per Casting Level. Large or very strong creatures may cut the spell's duration in half [or resist its effects entirely].

Guiding Light
The spell casts a magickal blue orb that floats above the caster's head, illuminating the darkness around him [or her]. The duration of the spell is 70 rounds per casting level.

Malachi's Gruel
Malachi was a cleric who wandered the lands of Eschalon during the [F]irst [A]ge. He carried no supplies on his travels, and devoted himself to mastering this spells which [bares (should be bears)] his name. It draws on the organic elements around the caster[_]- the tiny insects, moss, fungi, seeds and spores[_]- which combine together into a sticky, lumpy paste. This guard can be eaten to keep the caster alive when no other food is available. [The casting level determines the amount of gruel created.]

Charm
Charms a single creature, causing it to turn and fight any other creature attacking the caster. The duration of the charm is 60 rounds. The charmed creature will not follow the caster around, but as long as the charm is active it will attack any other creature nearby that is aggressive towards the caster. The casting level determines the level of creature that can be charmed. [However, the most powerful creatures may completely resist the Charm spell.]

Protection From Curses
The spell shields the caster from the effects of cursing by surrounding him [or her] with a divine aura. The duration of the spell is 10 rounds per casting level.

Turn Undead
Turn Undead causes an undead creature such as a zombie, or an ethereal being such as a wraith, to be repulsed by the caster. The undead creature can Save [vs.] Magick to avoid being turned, though casting this spell at higher levels reduces their chances of rejecting the effects. At higher casting levels, the spell can distress the target creature to the point of causing physical damage as well. If turned, the undead will remain repulsed for 15 rounds per Casting Level.

Mass Boil
Much like the spell Fleshboil, Massboil causes all living creatures in view (except the caster himself) to be bathed in searing divine light, causing blisters and lesions. The effect is 5-7 hit points of [magick damage] per casting level.

Mystic Hammer
The caster summons a crushing hammer of divine energy to crush one opponent with terrible fury. Damage is 10-15 [Hit Points] per casting level.

ELEMENTAL SPELLS

Draw Water
This spell draws water from humidity in the air. The water automatically fills any water skins present in your inventory. The spell[']s effect draws 8 ounces (0.5 pounds) per casting level.

Gravedigger's Flame
This spell creates a magickal torch that floats above the caster's head, illuminating the darkness around him [or her]. The duration of the spell is 70 rounds per casting level.

Reveal Map
Upon casting Reveal Map, a subsonic 'ping' [is (kill word here!)] radiates from the caster which maps the surrounding area. The higher the casting level, the greater the size of the mapped area and the more detail [that] will be included.

Enkindled Weapon
This spell, while active, temporarily imbues any weapon held in the caster's hand[, or the caster's hands themselves if no weapon is equipped,] with bonus fire damage. The effect of the spell is 2 points of fire damage per casting level. The spell duration is 50 rounds.

Portal
This spell allows the caster to set an anchor point anywhere in the world, and then later recast the spell to open a portal back to that anchor point. Each casting level represents a different portal anchor point, so the more locations you wish to anchor, the more Mana [Points] it costs to teleport back to that location.
Last edited by IJBall on March 31st, 2014, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Grammar and Spelling Mistakes - Book III Spells

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
IJBall wrote:It draws on the organic elements around the caster[_]- the tiny insects, moss, fungi, seeds and spores[_]- which combine together into a sticky, lumpy paste.
Everything from your list has been changed save for this because I don't understand what you suggest. Could you explain it again please?

And IJBall, you missed a couple. :wink:
I believe he's noting a spacing error in those descriptions. There should be spaces before and after the em-dashes, but the descriptions only have them after, if I'm reading his notes correctly.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
IJBall wrote:It draws on the organic elements around the caster[_]- the tiny insects, moss, fungi, seeds and spores[_]- which combine together into a sticky, lumpy paste.
Everything from your list has been changed save for this because I don't understand what you suggest. Could you explain it again please?

And IJBall, you missed a couple. :wink:
I believe he's noting a spacing error in those descriptions. There should be spaces before and after the em-dashes, but the descriptions only have them after, if I'm reading his notes correctly.
^^ Yes, this!! :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:And IJBall, you missed a couple. :wink:
Heh - added!! :lol:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

IJBall wrote:Enkindled Weapon
This spell, while active, temporarily imbues any weapon held in the caster's hand[, or the caster's hands themselves if no weapon is equipped,] with bonus fire damage. The effect of the spell is 2 points of fire damage per casting level. The spell duration is 50 rounds.
Huh, I never thought about this before, but - Doesn't this spell make the Firetouch spell redundant?! :shock:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

IJBall wrote:
IJBall wrote:Enkindled Weapon
Huh, I never thought about this before, but - Doesn't this spell make the Firetouch spell redundant?! :shock:
Do they stack? And would using this on the caster's hands invalidate the True Mage challenge (since he'd have to strike the enemy) while Firetouch may not?
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.