Eschalon: Book III Walkthrough

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

It's been 1 year. I was cleaning my files up on my computer about a week ago when I found this. I decided that releasing it on the first anniversary of Book III would be better than never doing so. So I worked hard for the last three or four days, and finally finished it.

Warning: This guide is full of spoilers! I suggest you only use this if you absolutely have no idea what to do.
This is certainly not the only, or necessarily best way to beat the game. It is however, a step-by-step guide on one way to beat the game.

This guide contains:

-The Basics
  1. Hotkeys
  2. Saving/Loading
  3. Equipping your character
  4. Camping
  5. Leveling Up
-Challenges
  1. Speed Run
  2. True Thief
  3. True Mage
  4. True Warrior
  5. True Ranger
  6. True Healer
  7. Journeymaster
  8. Untouchable
  9. Alchemist
  10. Immaculate
  11. Wealthy Lord
  12. Hellbringer
  13. Pacifist
  14. Jack of All Trades
-Main Quest
  1. Civilization
  2. The Reunion
  3. Moonrise
  4. Old Moonrise
  5. Genocide
  6. Macross Point
  7. Omentor
  8. A Barrean Warlord and his Prisoner
  9. The Last Battle
-Side Quests
  1. Exterminator, At Your Service
  2. Collecting on a Debt
  3. A String of Pearls
  4. A Hammer for Seamus
  5. A deal with Logi
  6. Goblins Afoot
  7. The Recovery of Miss Bimbles
  8. A Tough Nut to Crack
  9. The Curious Case of Edgar
  10. The Missing Magpie
  11. The Missing Magpie, Part 2
  12. Cleaning up the Riff Raff
  13. The Teeth That Bite
  14. A Hunting We Will Go
-Other
  1. Quick-travel Locations
  2. Gildedmoon Pendants
  3. Named Weapons
  4. Seawarden’s Guild
  5. Rockhammer Mine, level 2
  6. Modding
Last edited by Vroqren on February 14th, 2015, 9:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Basics

Post by Vroqren »

The Basics
This section is merely here to help those who maybe are new to the game, or need a refreshing of how to play. Feel free to cut to the chase.

Hotkeys
There are many hotkeys that can be used to speed up gameplay. Pressing F1 will bring up the shortcut key menu, which can be a useful reference ingame. I will refer to controls using these hotkeys later in the walkthrough, so it can be useful to know each of them.

Saving/Loading
As seen in the list of hotkeys, F2 can be used to automatically quicksave, and F3 can be used to bring up the ‘Load Saved Game’ menu.
To save a game in a slot other than quicksave, open the game menu by pressing ESC. Under ‘Save’ there should be 20 slots that all say “EMPTY” with the exception of the very top, which says “Quicksave”. Click on any one of the “EMPTY” slots, and type what you wish your save file to be called. You will have the opportunity to change that file name every time that you save. Then press “ENTER” to confirm the save.
Additionally, you may simply click on the Quicksave slot, without the need to type the title of your save file or press “ENTER” when done.

Equipping your Character
The hotkey to open up your characters equipment screen is ‘E’. Upon pressing this you will see a vague outline of your character with several boxes to place items in. You can access the items you can equip by pressing “I” for inventory. Click once on the item you wish to equip, move it over to the box you wish to equip it in (you can only equip an item in the proper slot), and click again.

Camping
When out of combat, camping is a great way to restore health or mana quickly. It can also allow you to skip the night time so that you have a higher toHit chance, or even skip the daytime so that enemies have a lower toHit chance.
In order to camp, press the hotkey “C” to open a dialogue box. It will ask you if you want to camp. Press “R” for rest, to confirm. To end camping at any point, press ESC. Note that in certain regions, while camping for too long, monsters will ambush your tent, waking you in the process.
Also note that you cannot camp too close to any NPC, even if said NPC is friendly or passive.

Leveling up
When you have gained enough experience to advance to the next level, the plus sign on your icon bar will begin to flash green. Upon clicking on this you will be brought back to the character creation screen, and, under normal circumstances, be given 3 skill points and 3 attribute points to use however you would like (you can even save them). Note that it takes 3 skill points to learn a new skill, and that you cannot put more than 5 skill points into a single skill during any given level up.

Last edited by Vroqren on February 15th, 2015, 5:08 pm, edited 12 times in total.

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Challenges

Post by Vroqren »

Challenges
Speed Run
In the original release of the game there were quite a few skip-able places in Book III, making speed runs not only doable, but relatively easy. In the most recent, the only easily skip-able area is the Witch’s Lair.
It’s really easy to get pacifist this way. I suggest you go for 0 kills actually, as fighting really slows you down. From what I can deduce, this is the fastest way to do it:
Head straight from the spawn point to the gem store in Rockhammer, then to the ship with the first widget. From there immediately to Lilith. Pick up Baizel’s Gildedmoon pendant and go to her vault immediately. After that head south around Rockhammer to Mirkland, grab the widget and get out. Go into the Castle by the Sea to get the final widget. Head a region west of Macross and straight into Omentor. Quickly go through, then head straight to Alundar’s Domain, and use another powder keg to destroy the wall from behind his room, and flip the lever. Then go into the dungeon. During the final fight siding with Malkur is probably safer as his troops can defeat the others easier without your help (If also trying Pacifist). I do suggest that you take the time to level up whenever your character gets enough experience. You can be pretty fast if you know exactly where you want to put your points.

True Thief
Eschalon: Book III wrote:You cannot bash any locked door or chest open; only use lock picks or the appropriate key on locked items.
You must successfully spot all hidden traps before they are triggered; this challenge is failed if you are unintentionally caught by a trap. Failing to disarm a trap successfully does not affect this challenge.
No NPC can ever catch you in the act of committing a crime.
This challenge its not too hard, and can even be completed on builds not designed to fit it without too much added effort. Spot hidden can help you avoid walking on traps that you haven’t discovered. Pick Locks can be very useful for this challenge as well.

True Mage
Eschalon: Book III wrote:You must never strike a creature or bash an object with a physical weapon. Use magick spells only.
You must never equip heavy armor; light armor is acceptable.
This one is pretty easy if you’re actually playing as a mage. Just note that throwing a stone at something does count as bashing it, while shooting something with an arrow [/b]does not[/b].

True Warrior
Eschalon: Book III wrote:You must never cast a spell of any kind, nor perform alchemy.
You must never equip magickal rings or amulets, however magickally enhanced weapons or armor are acceptable.
The hardest part about this is the inability to use rings and amulets. I have done it once or twice, but for the most part the advantages of using rings outweighs the challenge in my case. Note that you also can’t use Elemental or Divination to boost your abilities.

True Ranger
Eschalon: Book III wrote:80% of all kills must be made with a bow. If ever you allow your total kills with bow to drop below 80%, the challenge is failed even if you bring this percentage back up above 80%.
You must never purchase food. All food must be found, gathered from the wilderness or harvested from kills. Creating food via magick is acceptable as well. (Food and Water rule required to be in effect for this challenge.)
This challenge goes hand in hand with the Journeymaster. Not being able to buy food means that you need to walk around to gather food (using foraging). Also note that in order to keep the challenge from the very beginning, your first 4 or 5 kills must be made with a bow. The fewer kills you have total, the less it takes to drop you beneath 80%.

True Healer
Eschalon: Book III wrote:You must never seek healing from a priest; all healing must be self induced. This includes poison, disease and curse removal. Potion use is acceptable.
You must never kill a friendly aligned NPC, even if being attacked.
You must never allow a friendly aligned NPC to die via another creature or evil aligned NPC.
This is arguably the most challenging of all challenges in Book III. You cannot complete the quest concerning Edgar, and you must be extremely careful in the final fight. It has been suggested that in the final fight you run straight into the middle of combat to take all of the hits right at the beginning. A high level in Constitution and armor will also help during that final fight.

Journeymaster
Eschalon: Book III wrote: You must never use Quick Travel. In-game teleporters and portal spells are acceptable to use, as well as purchasing travel between two remote locations.
This one is easier if it’s not your first time playing through the game because you’ll then have a better knowledge of where each area is. When going for this challenge, I tend to not even grab to geomarkers to avoid the temptation (or even habitual transportation). This goes really well with Foraging and the True Ranger. Consider the portal spell also.

Untouchable
Eschalon: Book III wrote: You must not wear any armor. Your Armor Rating must come solely from your physical attributes. Magical protection is acceptable.
This challenge is actually not too hard, but it’s probably not going to work out with True Healer. Avoiding armor use is especially beneficial for Rogues.

Alchemist
Eschalon: Book III wrote: You must never cast a magick spell.
You must never purchase a potion of any kind. All potions that you use must be created or found.
As weird as it may seem that you can’t cast spells, it’s the way it is. This one isn’t too hard, though some ingredients, namely Anise are extremely rare.

Immaculate
Eschalon: Book III wrote:You must never contract a disease or a curse throughout the entire game. Poisoning is acceptable.
This is the easiest of the challenges, and I get it every single playthrough. Unless you’re being absolutely hardcore, just reload anytime you get sick. Even if you’re playing with the game rule that you can’t, carry around a powder keg, and be prepared to punch it when you contract tape worms.

Wealthy Lord
Eschalon: Book III wrote: You must end the game with 80,000 gold pieces worth of gold and/or equipment in your possession.
Again, this one isn’t too hard in Book III. Take advantage of Lucky fairly late in the game to get the most out of that. Even just a few points in mercantile can make a huge difference. Loot every dungeon.

Hellbringer
Eschalon: Book III wrote: You must kill at least 400 entities throughout the course of the game.
Also not too hard. From my experience, 400 entities is not too far under the total number of baddies in the game. You probably won’t have to rely on camp encounters too much.

Pacifist
Eschalon: Book III wrote:A pacifist can only kill under exceptional circumstances. Total game kills must be less than 20. Employ non-lethal offensive and defensive measures.
A challenging, but very fun playthrough. One area to be careful about though - if you enter the Akadai underground at all, you will not be able to exit without at least two kills (unless you already have the gems needed to get through the gate, at which point you only need 1 kill minimum). Also note that there are several quests that can’t be completed without at least one kill.

Jack of All Trades
Eschalon: Book III wrote: You must obtain at least 20 separate skills and raise them to a minimum of Level 5 during the course of the game.
This one isn’t too bad. I tend to put plenty of points into Mercantile so that I can buy as many other skills as possible. Be careful about putting too many points into any one given skill though. You may want to raise at least one combat skill to 10 for the feat, and I actually tend to raise all melee and ranged skills that high.

Last edited by Vroqren on February 15th, 2015, 5:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Main Quest

Post by Vroqren »

Main Quest
Civilization
You’re in the middle of nowhere. You really don’t want to be in the middle of nowhere. Start by walking immediately east of your current location, and looting the remains you see there. From here head south until you find more remains, and loot them for a key. With the key in hand, walk west and open the chest. Go back to the remains with the key, and head further east from there. The path from here is pretty self explanatory, with a couple more areas of loot. Follow the path north and cross the region boundary. Going even further north will take you into the first city, Rockhammer.

The Reunion
In the northernmost building of Rockhammer you will find a gem trader named Arima. While speaking with her you will learn some more about the the Crux of Fire in your possession, and also that Lilith has come looking for you, and left a message with her. You learn that you need to head to the Baasilt Dunes to meet her. The Baasilt Dunes are two regions to the west, past swarms of insects, bandits, and slimes. On your way, make sure to grab the Titanium Gear Widget from the second floor of the crashed ship.

Moonrise
Lilith tells you to head to Moonrise. Everyone in every other town tells you that it's a shady place though, and to avoid it at all costs. You must now decide whether you want to go there or not (I suggest that you do). Moonrise can be found just one region north of Lilith, but to get to it you must head around the long way. Head back into the region east of you, and then go north. That will put you in the Elderoak forest. After running past (or killing) the wolves, and following the path leading west, you will find the region border that leads into Moonrise. The very first building in Moonrise is the tavern. The owner of that tavern (Shelta) wants you to deliver a message for her, so she can know whether or not to trust you. She tells you not to open it. If you decide to ignore her you’ll learn that this letter is nothing but instructions to kill you if the letter is opened. So don’t open it. Head back into the Elderoak Forest with the letter. You’ll have to go almost all the way back. Just before crossing the bridge by the region border (to your south) you’ll see one, maybe two light posts. Look around those for a very small path into the trees by the water. This path gets easier to find every time you return. After delivering the letter to Ranimer you will be sent back to the tavern in Moonrise. Shelta will then tell you how you can get to Old Moonrise.

Old Moonrise
There are four places you can find a Sigil of Fire. A corpse in the Southern Boglands, a clam in the southern Baasilt Dunes, the ceramic jar in the Witch’s house, and a cabinet at (72,73) in Moonrise. While wearing one of these speak with Shepherd Nickolas in the Moonrise chapel at midnight. tell him you wish to be baptized by fire. If you’ve already sold all four Sigils, don’t despair - there’s another way into Old Moonrise. There’s a building in Moonrise close to Kirk’s shop with a locked back door. Past that is a hidden path into the graveyard by the chapel. Turning one of the gravestones will open the entrance into the Gildedmoon repository and Old Moonrise. Once into the town, speak with the Tavern owner Dannia. She’ll suggest that you bring Alundar the head of the Akadai Kingspawn.

Genocide
Head to the Deadman’s Strand, south of Rockhammer. To get to it you must got to the southern end of the region west of Rockhammer. Here you will find a combination lock. The combo can be found in ‘Maggot’s letter’ found in the Seawarden’s guild. It is 8723. Pass through the bottom corner of the Rockhammer region, and go south into Deadman’s Strand. On the southern end of the continent there is a raft on which you can sail to Mirkland.
Mirkland has a lot of Akadai. You can run past them, or kill them all. You must kill 2 creatures once you enter the crypt though, in order to get out. I suggest exploring the whole island in a counter-clockwise path. During your adventures you should find a copy of The Snows of May. That’s important later (though you don’t have to keep it). Near the very end of your searching you’ll find the Akadai Kingspawn, but he won’t be aggressive. You can talk this through with him. You can continue in the plot regardless of your choice. Note that siding the the Akadai will fail the quest A King’s Head, but his quest does offer 3000 experience opposed to 2000 from A King’s Head (though you don’t get the experience from killing the King and his Lackey’s). Definitely a better choice for Pacifists. However you obtain it, take your Akadai gland down to the strange tree in the south western end of the island. This will take you down to the underground. In this area there are three gems spread around (one of them is a drop by an Akadai. If going for The Pacifist challenge, I suggest killing them one at a time and reloading until you find the one that drops what you’re looking for). One of the gems is in a tomb that also contains an Akadai head. You’ll probably want to take this head, even if you did kill the king - it’s a few pounds lighter than the king’s head. While in the tomb be sure to grab the Tungsten Bracket Widget. After obtaining the Crux of Terra, you’ll need to kill one of the grubs and use its drop to get back out.

Macross Point
There are two ways to proceed from here. I suggest you read both ways before proceeding.
Remember that note that Ranimer found, with the poem?
“When comes the Snows of May,
darkness springs anew.
Seek was comes after day,
and the trees shall see you through.”
This riddle is actually referring to the book called The Snows of May. A copy of this book can be found in the rentable rooms just inside of Old Moonrise, and another in MIrkland if you want it. You’re looking for the word right after ‘day’ is written in the book, which happens to be spirits. Put that word into the book on the pedestal outside of the Witch’s house. All you need to do is return to Ranimer and tell him what you’ve found. You can now go through the Witch’s lair into the northern part of the Elderoak forest.
Alternatively, while at Deadman’s strand you can head further east into the next region. You’ll be greeted by goblins, which you might not be able to fight yet. Just head two regions north and you’ll be at Macross point, which is two regions east of the exit from the Witch’s lair. Note that if you take this path you will need to return to the Witch’s house at eventually to obtain the Gildedmoon Pendant 13 from her ceramic vase anyway. In that vault you will find the Chromium Spring Widget, which is needed later on.
Unless you’re confident fighting lots of Goblins, or are attempting a speed run, now is a good time to do some side quests - you’ll really want to feel sure about your goblin fighting abilities.
Regardless of how you get there, head to Macross point, and start killing the goblins to the south. Their encampment stretches down three regions. In the final one of these regions is the Castle by the Sea. In here you will find the third or fourth Widget, the Platinum Bolt. Once you have obtained all four, you are ready for Omentor.

Omentor
In the region between Ulgolek and Macross Point there is evidence of a scary ritual having happened. North and a little bit west of that the sparse forest grows more dense, and forms a path. Following that path will lead you to a temple built underneath a gigantic skull. Omentor consists of four main challenges - one for each widget.
The path you should take for the first challenge is pretty obvious. You also don’t really have an alternative choice. Once you get past the intersection you will be brought to a pool of lava. You’ll notice that every square you can step on to avoid the lava is trapped. The traps are in layers - the closer they are to the side you start on, the less dangerous they are. It is possible to disarm each one for a safe path and experience, but if you have enough health, or elemental resistance, walking on the lava shouldn’t be a problem. Around the corner there are two explosive barrels. Upon reaching a certain proximity a primed barrel will appear in between the two of them. Back up at this point to avoid all damage from that explosion. Continuing further will lead you to a lever (and a big baddie). Pulling the lever flips which gates are open at the intersection, allowing you to continue (to another big baddie). Clicking on the strange machine will place the Gear Widget into it.
The second area is a little less straightforward, but still not difficult. Head to the chest in the southern end of the first room. This chest is trapped, but has an important key in it. Head around the room to the lever. The key will unlock this (You can pick it for experience, but it is a level 9 lock), and pulling it will open the portcullis near the first chest. Follow the path back around, and then pull the lever in the recently unlocked room. This will flip another intersection. Heading north will lead you to a graveyard with what looks like a Crux stone on its pedestal. It isn’t though. Taking it will spawn several zombies. Take it anyway, and put it inside of the chest in the south-western end of the room. That will open up the portcullis in the eastern end of the room, leading to the next strange machine.
Head up to the third sector and destroy the empty barrel blocking your path. Following the path will lead you into a big room with a chest and a lever. In the chest is a key to unlock the lever. Pulling the lever releases all the monsters, one of which drops the key to the door to the north. Past that there is a lever in the torture chamber that opens the portcullis in the square room with the chest and lever. Past this is the third strange machine.
The fourth puzzle is mostly a maze, but it isn’t too hard. At the first intersection head south, then south again, and then you’ll get to a pretty straight stretch. Following this will lead to a pool of lava with two levers. Flip the first lever to get a path across the lava. Then flip the second lever and your path will disappear. You can throw or shoot something at the first lever to make it reappear, or just walk across the lava. Walk back out to the entrance of the small maze, and the wall blocking the machine should be gone. Place your Bolt Widget in the final machine and walk out to the surface.

A Barrean Warlord and his Prisoner
The Astral mountain range is big and may seem confusing, but all paths either lead to a dead end or up to Alundar’s domain. There are a couple of ways to get into Alundar’s prison. You can speak with him, negotiate, maybe pay some fees, grant some offerings. Or you can simply go behind is room, use a powder keg to blow the wall to smithereens, and flip the lever yourself. Once in the prison there are two doors that need unlocking.
In the branch from the main hallway leading to the north is a book on a pedestal that states: “The Great Book of Valka tells us that the way through the first Gate of Immortality is the sum of a man’s valor.” There are three rooms branching off from this, each with a lever and a painting in them. The descriptions of those paintings will each have a number in them, and adding them all together will give you the code to the first door. If you’ve done your math right (or don’t want to do you math) the number is 3551.
In the branch from the main hallway leading south is another book on a pedestal that states: “The Great Book of Valka tells us that the way through the second Gate of Immortality is the removal of all fear from the totality of valor. Again, there are three rooms, each with a lever and a picture. To get the code to the second gate, subtract all of these numbers from the total received in the other room. If you’ve done your math right (or if you’re still too lazy to do your math), the number is 2783. Go speak with Karamiklan.

The Last Battle
You can finish the game regardless of which side you choose to fight for. Each team attacks in waves that are a predetermined number of turns apart from each other. The waves are as follows:

Code: Select all

Wave # Erubor’s                     - Malkur’s
1      Dwarven Loyalists            - Goblin Hackers & Archers
2      Rangers of Elderoak          - Taurax
3      Dark Steel Mercenaries       - Skeletal Archers & Marauders
4      Dwarven Loyalists            - Phoenix & Taurax Spearmasters
5      Dimensional Eye (Etherplane) - Dimensional Eye (Realm of Flame)
Last edited by Vroqren on February 15th, 2015, 5:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Side Quests

Post by Vroqren »

Side Quests
Exterminator, At Your Service
Your Quest Book wrote:You have agreed to enter the Rockhammer Mine and find the Matron roach near the winch room. Kill her and all her offspring, then report back to Morwen in Rockhammer.
The roaches can be found all over the first level of the Rockhammer mine. If you’re attempting The Pacifist challenge, it is possible to bring all but the Matron roach into the office of Logi. He will kill them for you very easily.

Collecting on a Debt
Your Quest Book wrote:Logi, the Dwarven foreman of the Rockhammer mine, owes the local tavern owner 300 gold pieces. Collect this money and return it to Leisle at the Weeping Dragon Tavern in Rockhammer for a 1/3 cut. Logi is likely to be in his office, inside the mine.
Unfortunately, you can’t complete this quest with your own three-hundred gold, it has to be Logi’s for some reason. He’ll only be willing to give you this money if you complete his quest A Deal with Logi. When you get his gold you have two choices: You can keep it all, or give 200 of it to Leisle in exchange for experience and a completed quest.

A String of Pearls
Your Quest Book wrote:Arima, the owner of the mineral shop in Rockhammer, needs 10 pearls. You must collect them from the giant clams which nest on sandy beaches.
The quest book really says it all on this one. There are a total of 14 pearls in the game (not counting any that might spawn in stores), and 12 of those are really easy to get to early in the game. They are at:
[+] SPOILER
1x A Wrecked Ship Level 2 (56,120)
5x Baasilt Dunes (37,49) (36,32) (49,182) (47,185) (37,98)
2x Moonrise (89,174) (90,181)
4x Deadman’s Strand (20,53) (3,8) (87,96) (56,169)
Thanks to Farwalker and his field journal for these!
A Hammer for Seamus
Your Quest Book wrote:Seamus, the tool maker in Rockhammer, has agreed to make you a weapon or piece of armor in exchange for a Crafting Hammer. Find a Crafting Hammer and return it to him.
There are two places to find this crafting hammer. The easier of the two is an oak chest in the first level of the wrecked ship. The second option is another oak chest in the second level of the Rockhammer Mine.

A Deal with Logi
Your Quest Book wrote:Logi, the foreman of Rockhammer Mine, said that he would give you the gold to pay off his bar tab if you can kill all the Cave Scorpions in the southeast section of the mine. Return to him when all the scorpions are killed.
This is an easy quest. The scorpions are all in the first level of Rockhammer mine, around the souther section. If you’re trying to get The Pacifist challenge you can even lead the scorpions to Logi himself, where he will deal with them.

Goblins Afoot
Your Quest Book wrote:A dying man has told you he saw Goblins coming ashore to the east. He used powder kegs to blast the canyon pass closed for fear they may be coming west. He asked you to inform Morwen, the general manager of Rockhammer, of what he saw.
This is indisputably the easiest quest in this game. After retrieving it talk to Morwen in Rockhammer. He’ll get a little mad, and then quest complete!

The Recovery of Miss Bimbles
Your Quest Book wrote:Madam Gilda's kitten, Miss Bimbles, was stolen by a thug who likely took the animal back to the Seawarden's Guild, located in the Southern Boglands. You offered to locate and return the kitten to Madam Gilda, at her cabin in the boglands.
Some monster locked a cat in a chest with a cup of milk and some scraps of meat. The kitten is indeed pretty deep in the Seawarden’s guild. Upon bringing it back to Madam Gilda she will offer to train you in various skills.

A Tough Nut to Crack
Your Quest Book wrote:Mitza, a Magick Shoppe owner in Moonrise, said she would pay you very well if you could retrieve a nut from a special flowering tree, found only on the mountainous slopes of the Astral Range.
Once in the Astral Range (which can only be reached by traveling through Omentor) head one region east. In this region there is a branch to the north pretty quick. Don’t take it, but fight the spiders just to the east of it. North of the spiders is the tree.

The Curious Case of Edgar
Your Quest Book wrote:Shepherd Nickolas of Moonrise has asked you to locate a wraith by the name of Edgar who haunts an abandoned town named Wanderer's Glen. Edgar is distraught and so refuses to leave this realm. Destroy him and return to Shepherd Nickolas.
Wanderer’s Glen is one region east of Ulgolek. Upon speaking with Edgar you will be offered an alternate way to end his existence; he will be at peace if you bring him the devastating bow named Bittersting that he created. Note that is is possible to complete this quest and Edgar’s, The Curse of Bittersting if you complete Edgar’s quest first.

The Curse of Bittersting
Your Quest Book wrote:A wraith named Edgar who haunts the abandoned town of Wanderer's Glen said that he would finally be at rest if he knew the bow he crafted, 'Bittersting', was no longer in the hands of a murderer. Locate Bittersting and bring it back to Edgar.
In the Eastern Astral Range, two regions east of the geomarker, you can find Master Warren’s Crypt. To get into the crypt you must unscramble the words in the book (they spell ‘Dead Thieves Cant Steal’). After destroying the ceramic vase in Master Warren’s crypt grubs will spawn. With your newly obtained key, head to the Gildedmoon Repository in Moonrise. This key will open the largest vault at the very end of the bank system. In here you will find Bittersting.

The Missing Magpie
Your Quest Book wrote:A man at the Merryweather Spirits tavern in Moonrise said that the caravan is late arriving and he is concerned for his fiance, a girl named Magpie. If you should locate Magpie during your travels, give her the Love Letter that you have.
Magpie is in Macross point, in the far north-eastern region of the continent before passing into the Astral Mountain Range. Upon completing this quest you will be given the follow-up quest, The Missing Magpie, Part 2.

The Missing Magpie, Part 2
Your Quest Book wrote:Magpie asked you to return a letter to a man in the tavern at the Merryweather Spirits tavern in Moonrise.
Another very easy quest. The quest description tells you everything you need to know.

Cleaning up the Riff Raff
Your Quest Book wrote:In order to obtain a Deadly Skills Permit, you have been asked to clear out all the pirates and marauders from the Seawarden Guild in the Boglands area. Return to Shrock in Old Moonrise when the task is complete.
By the time you’ve reached Old Moonrise the Seawarden’s Guild shouldn’t be too hard. My first playthrough I had cleared out the entire area before even receiving this quest. If you’re struggling, consult my guide specific to the Seawarden’s Guild lower in the walkthrough.

The Teeth That Bite
Your Quest Book wrote:Valx Grayraven, a mysterious mage in Old Moonrise, has requested troll teeth for his experiments. He said a woman named Baizel, who lives in Elderoak Forest, might have some. Locate these teeth and return them to Valx at his shop in Old Moonrise.
While raiding Baizel’s dungeon in the Elderoak forest you will find the troll teeth in a ceramic jar. Bring them back to Valx to complete the quest.

A Hunting We Will Go
Your Quest Book wrote:Alexx, the leader of the caravan now stuck near Macross Point, has asked you to destroy the goblins that are loitering just south of their camp. After you destroy all seven goblins, return to her.
In order to complete this quest, you need only kill the seven goblins in the same region as Macross Point. If trying to fulfill The Pacifist challenge, it is possible, albeit difficult to get the goblins across bridges and up to the guards in Macross Point and have them kill the goblins for you.

Last edited by Vroqren on February 14th, 2015, 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Other

Post by Vroqren »

Other
Quick-Travel Locations
All of the Geomarkers are identical in this game. They look like a square monument with a globe on top.
  1. Rockhammer: In center of town, just north of the tavern and east of Seamus’s shop.
  2. Seawarden’s Guild: North of the entrance to the guild, near one of the two wells used to open the guild.
  3. Elderoak Forest: In the very center of the region, in a little nook off the side of the path. North of the Rangers grove, east of Baizel’s home.
  4. Moonrise: By the docks at the very entrance of the town. East of the tavern Merryweather Spirits.
  5. Old Moonrise: Past the tavern, just north of Pike’s Head Weaponcraft, Shrock’s store. On a little dock east of Lucky.
  6. Mirkland: On small island north of the main island. After arriving at Mirkland on the raft, head around the island counterclockwise, following the coast.
  7. Ulgolek: Just next to the tree itself, immediately east of the stairs leaving Baizel’s dungeon. West of the trapdoor.
  8. Macross Point: South of the camp, at a fork in the road. Surrounded by lamps.
  9. Castle Ruins: North of the ruins, on the eastern coast of Wylderan.
  10. Western Astral Pass: North and a little bit east of the exit from Omentor. Just east (2 tiles) of a path leading north.
  11. Alundar’s Pass: In a large clearing south of Alundar’s encampment. Paths leading south and northeast.
Gildedmoon Pendants
There are five vaults within the Gildedmoon Repository that you can enter.
7: This vault is after the first right turn, and is the last one before the main chamber. The pendant can be found in the Seawarden’s Guild. Please notice that behind it there is a vault with nothing but a keg in it.
10: If your character makes two right turns he/she will reach the 10th vault. It’s in the north-eastern corner of the main room. The pendant can be found in the Castle by the Sea.
13: This vault is right across from the number 10 vault, on the second row in the main room. The key can be found in Baizel the witch’s house, in a ceramic jar that must be blown up.
22: This vault is the very last one, with only gold in it, in the hallway before Master Warren’s Chamber. The pendant can also be found in the Castle by the Sea.
Master Warren’s Chamber: The very end of the line, and lots of loot. See the instructions under The Curse of Bittersting to get the Diamond Key.

Named Weapons
There are six named weapons in Book III. A sword, an Axe, a Dagger, a Hammer, fifteen Spears, and a Bow.
The Sword, Maledge, can be found in the third sector of Omentor, after fighting (or avoiding) Bruiser the Blacksmith.
The Axe, Red Sunrise, can be found in a chest in the region South of Macross Point, in the earliest of the Goblin encampments.
The Dagger, Fishgutter, can be found in the Akadai Underground.
The Hammer, Bonedust, can be found in Rockhammer Mine, Level 2.
The Spears, Dreadnaught, can be found in the Underground of the Castle by the Sea.
The Bow, Bittersting, can be found in Master Warren’s Crypt.

Seawarden’s Guild
There are two wells that both need to be turned to open the gate to the Seawarden’s guild. The first is just south of the geomarker, right next to the building itself. The second is further south, across a path, and a little to the west. It is guarded by an archer. After fighting your way through the top level move down to the second level. What I often did was lure a single thug back to the staircase and fight him there. If I was in desperate need of health I would retreat up the stairs and sleep.
Note that the bedroom south of the great hall is purely extra loot. Once you have reached the intersection north of the great hall, head north east. Unless you have a ranged attack that can go through the metal grates, I suggest rushing the lever and getting into a doorway to attack the thugs one at a time. Past the archery targets is a room with another lever that opens up a gate. Heading back around will lead you to the Titanium Gear Widget.
Mrs. Bimbles is in the chest in the locked room just south of the intersection after the great hall.

Rockhammer Mine, level 2
After completing both the quests involving the Rockhammer Mine (Exterminator, At Your Service and A Deal with logi) you can enter the second level of the Rockhammer mine, which can be found in the very south-eastern corner of the mine.
There is a little bit of loot to the north. There is also a room that can’t be accessed - don’t waste your time covetting it. Past the portcullis there are guard dogs that really pack a punch, so be careful. There is loot throughout the dungeon, but at the southern dead-end is the real prize: Bonedust, and some very cool plot details that you’ll learn about later. Level three is opened up in a mod made by MyGameCompany.

Modding
Basilisk Games has encouraged modding in Eschalon: Book III. There are many items that could have a lot of uses, but don’t in the original game. I’m planning on compiling a list of all of the current mods, but have yet to do so. When I do though, I’ll be sure to post a link here. For now, check out the Modding Forum here!

Was there something you didn’t find in here that you wished you had? Send me a PM and I’ll see what I can do!
Be sure to check out the following:
Farwalker’s Field Guide (Massive Spoilers)
Unofficial Eschalon: Book III FAQ
Complete Spells list
Bug Tracking Thread

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Eschalon: Book III Walkthrough

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Great work, Vroqren!
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Some of my other Walkthroughs haven't been stickied either - I don't really mind. People can find them through searches and strategy centrals (where they exist).
If we could get this stickied though, that would be much appreciated.

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Stickied, irrelevant posts removed, and locked topic.

Thanks Vroqren. If you need to update this thread, let me know and I'll unlock it for you.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.