Trapped in Atrox Deep, and with no earlier savegames

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
bruno321
Initiate

Trapped in Atrox Deep, and with no earlier savegames

Post by bruno321 »

The monster in Atrox Deep teleported me to the prison, I killed the lizard, got out, and because I am too stupid and too quicksave-friendly I saved while inside of the prison.

Earlier savegames are too far back, so that's not an option. I didn't leave the portcullis in the correct positions so I can't get out.

What can I do? Is there any in-game way out? If not, is there any way to modify the save game in order to open the portcullis?

Thanks.

P.S. I am stupid, I agree, but god, I hate dead-ends in games where I don't expect them.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Trapped in Atrox Deep, and with no earlier savegames

Post by Vroqren »

I did this the first time through too actually. It was a little frustrating to me that I had to plan ahead before going to jail...
If earlier saved games really are not an option, then as far as I know no, there really isn't another option. They say you're never supposed to delete a map file while you're in the map... has anyone actually ever tried it?

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
bruno321
Initiate

Post by bruno321 »

Vroqren wrote:I did this the first time through too actually. It was a little frustrating to me that I had to plan ahead before going to jail...
If earlier saved games really are not an option, then as far as I know no, there really isn't another option. They say you're never supposed to delete a map file while you're in the map... has anyone actually ever tried it?
Really? I thought there would be some editor or something that savvy-people use...

Well, it was good while it lasted. I don't have the patience to play again through a chunk of the game I just played.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

There is likely a way to do it with an editor, but I've never used the editors. Don't give up yet - I'm just not the one to help you out.

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
mbrowne
Steward

Post by mbrowne »

Yeah. That trap seems oddly out place within the overall design of the series... But be that as it may, you are definitely stuck. If you prefer not to load a save, editing your save game is the only option. Xolotl and SpottedShroom have developed some pretty awesome editors for each game. Unfortunately the information is pretty hard to find in the forums. Here is a link to the latest version I believe:
http://dx4.org/~ekenda2/eschalon_utils_1_0_2_setup.exe

Good luck!
bruno321
Initiate

Post by bruno321 »

Thanks! Easy as pie. Actually I'm on a Mac, so that version didn't work, but there is a Mac version too.

I just opened the savefile and changed the X and Y coordinates of the character to be on the other side of the portcullis, and voilà. I am once again a free man.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Glad you got it worked out, and didn't have to quit the game!

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

There was a discussion about Atrox Deep and how to avoid getting trapped in there. BW and I had completely different methods for avoiding it with his being the permanent one of exploding a keg of powder to blow the gate away. But everyone assumed that players would have a save from before they got trapped.

You had the same problem in Book 1 with having a Repository where you couldn't get out unless you had a portal spell set up in advance. BW made the portal spell useless in Atrox Deep in Book 3.
bruno321
Initiate

Post by bruno321 »

I'm not against dead-ends dogmatically. I know older games have them in abundance, but when I play older games, I know what I'm up against, so I will most certainly not be quicksave-friendly.

To throw just one dead end far on into the story on a newer, gentle RPG, when you are not expecting it, that's what really seems unfair and unjustified for me.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Anyone remember when Book II was patched to stop players using the switch next to the teleporter in Hammerlorne Mine more than once so they couldn't escape? Atrox Deep has obviously been designed poorly and is a good example of how inconsistent Basilisk Games are when it comes to support. People shouldn't have to use a third-party tool to fix something like this.

Did none of the alpha or beta testers not bring this up? Or did Basilisk Games simply brush it aside like they have with so many things?
lol why are you bitching all the time? Even Baldurs Gate had bugs like that. I dont remember the details but something about killing both the white dragon and the daemon gets you stuck in dark elf fortress or something similar.
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole