BOOK I COMPLETE SPELL LIST (Possible Spoilers)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

BOOK I COMPLETE SPELL LIST (Possible Spoilers)

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Here is a complete list of all the spells in Eschalon: Book I, with the descriptions as printed within the game. Possible spoiler for people who like to discover new spells on their own (which is why this list was not printed in the User's Manual). Green represents first level (easy) spells, Yellow second level (moderate), and Red is third level (difficult) spells.

The spell information listed here should be considered more accurate than the spell description in the game. Due to balance adjustments, a few of the in-game spell descriptions may not be 100% accurate.

DIVINATION SPELLS
Bless
This incantation bestows upon the caster a divine blessing, increasing the caster's ToHit and Maximum Damage. The effect of blessing is +1 ToHit probability and +1 Damage per casting level, lasting 100 rounds.

Cat's Eyes
Gives the caster cat-like vision in low light. Duration of spell is 40 rounds per Casting Level.

Detox
Removes poisons from the bloodstream of the caster. The higher the casting level, the more powerful the detoxification effect is.

Divine Heal
Upon casting, you are bathed in divine light which binds your physical wounds. Heals 3-6 Hit Points for every casting level. Does not cure disease or remove poisoning.

Entangle
Causes vines and tanglebrush to rise from the ground, ensnaring a target. Spell duration is 4 rounds per Casting Level. Large or very strong creatures may cut the spell's duration in half.

Fleshboil
A ranged spell which bathes a single target with divine energy, causing blisters and lesions upon exposed flesh. Effect is 2-4 hit points of Magick damage per casting level.

Leatherskin
Causes the skin of the caster to become thick and leathery, increasing the caster's Armor Rating and reducing the effects of physical damage. Casting level determines amount of effect and duration is 100 rounds.

Lore
Used to identify unknown items. Effectiveness of the spell is determined by the casting level.

Poison Spray
Sprays the target creature with a vaporous mist of toxic fumes, causing the target to become sickened with poison. Casting level determines the potentcy of the poisonous effect.

Nimbleness
Temporarily increases the Dexterity of the caster, improving any stat affected by Dexterity such as combat accuracy or base Armor Rating. The effect is +5 Dexterity points per casting level, the duration is 160 rounds.

Ogre Strength
Temporarily increases the Strength of the caster, improving any stat affected by Strength such as combat damage or encumbrance limit. The effect is +5 Strength points per casting level, the duration is 160 rounds.

Charm
Charms a single creature, causing it to turn and fight any other creature attacking the caster. The duration of the charm is 60 rounds. The charmed creature will not follow the caster around, but as long as the charm is active it will attack any other creature nearby that is aggressive towards the caster. The casting level determines the level of creature that can be charmed.

Cure Disease
Cures any disease that may be inflicting the caster. Each casting level represents a certain chance for the disease to be eliminated, with the highest casting level (6) being a guaranteed removal of the disease.

Enchanted Weapon
This spell, while active, temporarily enchants any weapon placed in the caster's hand. Enchanted weapons deliver an additional 2 points magickal damage upon striking a target. The target may save versus Magick to avoid this extra damage. The spell's duration is 30 rounds per casting level.

Haste
Causes the caster to move at increased speed, allowing him to perform an extra action per round. The duration is 4 rounds per casting level.

Sunder Flesh
Casting upon an ememy causes their flesh to rip apart, inflicting 5-7 points of magick damage per casting level.

Stoneskin
Causes the skin of the caster to become hard like stone, greatly increasing the caster's Armor Rating and reducing the effects of physical damage. Casting level determines amount of effect and duration is 160 rounds.

Turn Undead
Causes an undead target to be repulsed by the caster; at lower casting levels, there is a chance that the spell may fail. At higher casting levels, the spell works every time and additionally may distress the target to the point of causing physical damage as well.

Mass Boil
Much like the spell Fleshboil, Massboil causes all living creatures in view (except the caster himself) to be bathed in searing divine light, causing blisters and lesions. The effect is 3-5 points of magick damage per casting level.

Smite
The caster lays his hands upon his opponent, channeling a higher power to inflict terrible damage into the target creature. The effect of the spell is 6-10 points of magick damage per casting level.

Dehex
Removes any curses or hexes that may be plaguing the caster.

ELEMENTAL SPELLS
Dancing Lights
Causes some enemies to flee in fright of the magical display of lights. Larger or more intelligent creatures require a higher casting level for the spell to be effective.

Air Shield
Creates a bubble of dense, high-pressure air around the caster, shielding him from most projectiles. Duration is 20 rounds per casting level. Note: Air Shield works only when the source of the projectile is greater than one space away. It does not prevent damage from melee weapons or point-blank (adjacent square) shot projectiles.

Fire Dart
Causes a searing hot ember to shoot from the caster's hands towards the target. Effect is 2-4 hit points of fire damage per casting level.

Gravedigger's Flame
This spell creates a magickal torch that floats above the caster's head, illuminating the darkness around him. The duration of the spell is based on the casting level.

Element Armor
Gives the caster an increased level of protection from elements (fire, cold, electricity). Duration of the spell is 75 rounds and the effect is +10% Resistance to Elements per casting level.

Reveal Map
This spell grants the caster +3 points of Cartography Skill per casting level, and the duration of the spell is 10 rounds per casting level.

Predator Sight
This spell allows the caster to see the faint electromagnetic aura that all creatures emit, whether they are living, animated or extra dimentional. In daylight this has practically no effect, but in darkness the caster is able to see all creatures glowing green which clearly reveals their location. Using Predator Sight, a caster does not receive any penalty for attacking in low light conditions. Spell duration is 40 rounds per casting level.

Sonic Blast
This spell creates an intense subsonic wave which temporarily stuns all nearby targets, lowering their combative and defensive abilities. The casting level determines the overall power and range of the blast.

Compress Atmosphere
This spell creates a bubble of crushing air around several targets, inflicting 4-6 points of damage per casting level.

Enkindled Weapon
This spell, while active, temporarily imbues any weapon held in the caster's hand with bonus fire damage. The effect of the spell is 2 points of fire damage per casting level. The spell duration is 50 rounds.

Deep Freeze
This spell blasts a single living target with a sub-freezing ball of ice, inflicting a massive 5-8 hit points of freeze damage per casting level. However, the extremely cold temperature generated by this spell has no effect on inanimate objects.

Fireball
Caster projects a fireball towards his target. Effect is 4-7 points of fire damage per casting level, affecting both living and non-living targets. The concussion of the fireball's blast also produces collateral damage to surrounding creatures and objects.

Chameleon
Causes the caster to blend with the environment, making him harder To hit. Duration is 20 rounds per casting level.

Lock Melt
This spell concentrates heat onto the lock mechanism of a door or chest, softening the metal components of the lock and causing them to fail. Higher quality locks require a more powerful casting level as the quality of the metal and craftsmanship of the lock are less susceptible to heat damage.

Trapkill
When cast upon a trap or trapped object, waves of atmospheric pressure compress upon the trap forcing it into mechanical failure. Most traps, especially those of simpler design, are susceptible to these rapid fluxations of pressure and can fail or be remotely triggered through the casting of this spell. The stronger the casting level, the better chance there is of the trap being eliminated. This spell may be cast multiple times on the same trap in effort to disarm it.

Portal
This spell allows the caster to set an anchor point anywhere in the world, and then later recast the spell to open a portal back to that anchor point. Each casting level represents a different portal anchor point, so the more locations you wish to anchor, the more Mana it costs to teleport back to that location.

Invisibility
Renders the caster invisible by physically warping light around him, making him completely invisible and impossible to visually track by enemies. The duration of the spell is 5 rounds per casting level.

Supernova
Supernova sends a fiery blast that emanates from the caster causing 3-4 points of fire damage per casting level on every object and creature in the area.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
rocketman28
Senior Steward

Re: COMPLETE SPELL LIST (Possible Spoilers)

Post by rocketman28 »

thanks alot
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I appreciate it too! I haven't run across the supernova one yet! :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Supernova is fun (and another way to eliminate those Gazers in the Vault without having to be tossed in with them), but it chews up your Mana pretty quickly. Watching everything on the screen take damage can be pretty cool, though.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Maelstrom
Steward

Post by Maelstrom »

Dragonlady wrote:I appreciate it too! I haven't run across the supernova one yet! :D
All my characters manage to find it in the Magic guild at Blackwater. I thought it was a stock item for that shoppe. :?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

This thread should be a sticky!

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
CobraEye
Apprentice

Post by CobraEye »

This list is very helpful, thanks!

Is there any way to determine the time remaining for a spell? I know that spell duration is a function of turns and level of caster, but in melee or whilst wandering about or otherwise distracted I don't keep track of turns expended. I could imagine a caster at least having *some* sense that a spell is about to expire, so could prepare to cast another.

This might be a feature in Book II, for example, where the name of the spell displayed on the active spell screen might change to yellow or blink a few times.
elsol
Initiate

Post by elsol »

Errr...

So what's the highest Elemental level needed to cast 'everything'? I'm guessing Supernova at the highest level requires something pretty up there.

I'm playing a VERY balanced mage archer and I need to know if I cannot mathematically cast the highest spell in the game. (that would blow chunks! But I've made it a habit of starting over about 8 times already...)
Akark
Initiate

Post by Akark »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but 11 points to cast lvl6 of the first tier, 20 for lvl6 of the second tier, and 31 for lvl6 of the 3rd tier.

~Akark
TowneOfHounds
Pledge

Post by TowneOfHounds »

What about stats? I started a game recently, and found that I lacked the Wisdom to learn the basic healing spell. Is there a minimum stat requirement for each spell, or each difficulty of spell, or just to learn any spell? And what are these minimum stat requirements?

EDIT: Or maybe it was Intelligence, I don't remember now.
elsol
Initiate

Post by elsol »

Are the spell damages right for these?

I saw under 30 points of damage for compress where the min should be 36 (I only ever cast it at level 6.)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

elsol wrote:Are the spell damages right for these?

I saw under 30 points of damage for compress where the min should be 36 (I only ever cast it at level 6.)
You're right, elsol. The damage was reduced late in development and the description was not changed.

It should say 4-6 points per level. It is now updated.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Turtle
Council Member

Post by Turtle »

Do the shops ever carry the charm spell? As a second-tier spell, you wouldn't think it would be that hard to get, but I've never seen it.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

In my experience the charm spell is pretty rare, but both play throughs I've done so far I was able to buy it from the stores, but it's not as common as say stoneskin or fireball. If it does show up it will be in Blackwater (at least it was the times that I found it.)
elsol
Initiate

Post by elsol »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: You're right, elsol. The damage was reduced late in development and the description was not changed.

It should say 4-6 points per level. It is now updated.
Okay... so that explains why I noticed fireball was a better single target spell.

Thank you.