Darkford gate

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
rocketman28
Senior Steward

Darkford gate

Post by rocketman28 »

when i got into darkford there was a gate at the end of the hall how do i get into it.
rocketman28
Senior Steward

Re: Darkford gate

Post by rocketman28 »

then what is the key in the chest for
rocketman28
Senior Steward

Post by rocketman28 »

sorry :cry:
NinjaGremlin
Initiate

Post by NinjaGremlin »

Culmination wrote:You cannot pass the gate.
unfortunately correct, I even lured the drunken commander to the gate, because the sign says:
opened only in companion of commander (or so),
but may be it meant: "dry" commander :D

seeU
NinjaGremlin
Dr. G
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Dr. G »

Regretably true, I also lured the commander, and nothing happened, then I killed him :twisted: , but still nothing happende, I earned 150 exp points tough
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Yes, this is something I've been wondering: Assuming I can't get through Darkford anyhow: I suppose I might as well go ahead and kill the Captain? Am I to assume there will be no repercussions (since it seems obvious he won't deliver the letter anyhow, and the guards don't even hear the battle)?

I mean... the man is sort of asking to be killed, although I do sympathize with him being a lush, and all, just not if you're a captain during wartime. Of course: holed up in that place with nothing to do ('officially' speaking) would probably drive anyone to drink. But at the end of all the rationalizing: for 400 XP, how can I resist?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Mongolian
Marshall

Post by Mongolian »

Luckily part II will have reprucssions for your moves. A big pet peeve when playing a game like this to me if doesn't exist.
Asgard The Elder
Senior Steward

Post by Asgard The Elder »

Mongolian wrote:Luckily part II will have reprucssions for your moves. A big pet peeve when playing a game like this to me if doesn't exist.
You know that there is always the way in which you view yourself. Are you a good guy or just down right evil :twisted: I have played the game as a virtuous individual from start to finish and am now doing an evil run through. Deliver the letter to the captain, go steal the key and anything else laying about then run him through....He Hee Heee :twisted:
There is another way to get south of the gate however. Someone said in one of the posts above you can't get south..oh .. how about a bit of ectoplasm and mercury added in a certain location..? that will get you way south of the gate.
The Wizard Works Wonders to Behold
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Sure, you can imagine yourself as good or evil while playing Tetris. But without the story support, it just doesn't feel real.

...Assuming, of course, that you can also imagine a story in Tetris....

The point is that, as I've always argued, with dazzle-free games that concentrate on substance -- this being story and character -- the story and characters should be elaborated as much as possible without stressing yourself out. Not to criticize Riegsecker's excellent work... I just hope that there's a little bit more expansion in these areas in Book II.

I mean, it's things like this, for example: If you go rummaging through Maddock's chest in his presence, he attacks you. But if you start picking locks in the Aridell merchant's backroom, she doesn't even bother checking, and when you go back to her with the stuff you just stole from her private chest, she's just as chirpy as before and is quite eager to identify the stuff for you and then buy it back.

I'm sure you can rationalize that the stash you recover is simply a representation of a larger stockpile that she's not going to have memorized... but you get the point.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

Evnissyen wrote:Sure, you can imagine yourself as good or evil while playing Tetris.
Ha ha! Fall my pretty blocks fall! Spin into position and crush the townspeople below! :twisted:
jon_27
Initiate

Post by jon_27 »

Asgard The Elder wrote:
Mongolian wrote:Luckily part II will have reprucssions for your moves. A big pet peeve when playing a game like this to me if doesn't exist.
There is another way to get south of the gate however. Someone said in one of the posts above you can't get south..oh .. how about a bit of ectoplasm and mercury added in a certain location..? that will get you way south of the gate.

I need more of hint than that. I went to the gate with Ectoplasm and Mercury but where should I mix it up? Also, if I don't have anymore Ectoplasm, where can I get some?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

jon_27 wrote:
Asgard The Elder wrote:

I need more of hint than that. I went to the gate with Ectoplasm and Mercury but where should I mix it up? Also, if I don't have anymore Ectoplasm, where can I get some?
Ectoplasm can sometimes be purchased from the merchants in Blackwater, and you almost always get one from killing a poltergeist.

As for the other ways of getting to Crakamir, I believe Asgard was talking about a certain underground lab way up north and the ingredients needed to add to the alembic there. The other way into Crakamir just requires flipping 4 switches and killing a bunch of skeletons and a poltergeist.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
jon_27
Initiate

Post by jon_27 »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:As for the other ways of getting to Crakamir, I believe Asgard was talking about a certain underground lab way up north and the ingredients needed to add to the alembic there. The other way into Crakamir just requires flipping 4 switches and killing a bunch of skeletons and a poltergeist.
I wasn't talking Crakamir, I was talking about the Darkford Gate
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Darkford Gate is impassable and the remark about it doesn't look like it was meant to be opened was the clue to it. The place exists for a quest reward and to get the Gate key for later use.
jon_27
Initiate

Post by jon_27 »

I'm still curious as to what might be behind it-more of the castle perhaps? Another map allowing use access to the capital? Also, if not could this be created in an add-on for the game?