Complete Puzzle List [MAJOR SPOILERS]

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Complete Puzzle List [MAJOR SPOILERS]

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

He always ambushes me on the way to Vela. Then I kick Mercenary butt. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Jinx
Apprentice

Post by Jinx »

Dr. G wrote:Here are some of my comments:

1. Portcullis Killing: It is better to kill salamanders with this trap, as when you kill thm you only get 8 exp, but with the trap 25 exp, with the bloodsippers it is either way, cause killing them you also get 25 exp.

2. Killing Lilith: Yes you can laugh a lot.... but later on the game the guy finds you... (He found me near Aridell) and you get to fight him and 3 other Mercenaries (a pretty good fight I must say) and get a lot of exp. regretably being a thief you would expect a great drop.

3. About the levers, there is another post around that has the exact combination.

4. Gems in the Cave: lots of them, suggestion get a Hawkeye ring (spot hidden+3) if you have enough money get two SH+6 and you will probably find all of them, I personally found 4 Big Gems (2 red ones 2 green ones) lots of the small ones, not sure if there is afixed number, or if it is randomly set.

5. 6 coffinsoutside the ossuary: no intention at all, just fun descriptions (some ones are pretty sad as well)

6. Some general gameplay suggestions on my behalf:

- Don't pay to get things identified, identification costs almost half the price of the object, and then you can sell it (if you have some skill in mercantile) for half the price +10 or 20% the most, so you don't earn almost anything, it is better to find or buy a Lore master ring and the identify evertytihng for free, and then sell every thing.
- Keep unidentified objects in safe places: such as the drawer in the room you sleep at Aridell, both drawers in Blackwater, cause if you carry everything with you... won't get very far...
- Some skills that are not very useful IMHO:
- Lore (you can get 2 Loremasters rings (lore+12 nothing can stand that)
- Mercantile (not preceptible diference in prices unless you get a very high skill, there is an amulet that gives you +3)
- Spot hidden, at the begginning helps you find important stuff that you can sell and get money, but besides that, and detecting traps (which you can do if you have 1 skill and move around a lot) it has no other use... (two rings +6)
- Dodge IMHO (I got this skill and put a lot into cause was playing an alchemist/fighter and sounded cool got an amulet +6, but in the end did not feel much difference as when I was not wearing the amulet)....
- Cartography, can be learned, there are sandals +3 an amulet + 2 but if you change them, then you forget what you had before on your map, a bit dull this is. and there are many levels 17 to max out, and as another post mentioned, differences are not very perceptible.
These are all IMHO

I can't think of any more suggestions right now.... but if I get anymore ideas I'll get back to this post.
Nice, great info here. I'll incorporate these into my original post (with credit included of course) when I get back from a short vacation. Unfortunately, I never found that shady character. I tried revisiting him to get another quest, but no luck. That's rad that he finds you. Yet another touch that adds so much depth to this game.
Dr. G
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Dr. G »

Culmination: It was not precisely in Aridell, but to the north, I don't remember what the regions name is exactly, bu it is where you meet the woman who lost her husband... I was wondering around a bit to the north, and all over sudden the guy appeared with his lackeys.... and it was a pretty god fight, cause he is not an ordinary thug.

I read Kreador foun him on his way to Vela, so maybe it is not predetermined
Yeliu
Apprentice

Post by Yeliu »

Wow, these are awesome. I loved discovering things for myself, it was really thrilling :)

And one part I especially liked was early on in the beginning of my game, just above Aridell where there is that "thug shortcut" place... I saved the game, and decided to go in to see what was in, though I knew it would be something bad. Suddenly there appeared the 5 thugs, and I was like... "Woah... I can barely kill ONE without dying..." (They were sooo hard to kill at first, I kept having to retreat and regenerate over and over)...

So I loaded my saved game and ignored it... then near the end of my game (when I had all Adamantium Plate Armor, Sword, Assassin Rings [I love those :D]), I wandered back just exploring, trying to figure out the next part... and, I found the shortcut was like, "Cool! I'll kick those guys that killed me earlier. XD" so I went it, and thrashed 'em. It was so fun. :D

And, on topic, I had made a list of all alchemy things... and I wanted to make a few other lists, but I never got around to it.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

soybostero93 wrote:
Dr. G wrote:Culmination: It was not precisely in Aridell, but to the north, I don't remember what the regions name is exactly, bu it is where you meet the woman who lost her husband... I was wondering around a bit to the north, and all over sudden the guy appeared with his lackeys.... and it was a pretty god fight, cause he is not an ordinary thug.

I read Kreador foun him on his way to Vela, so maybe it is not predetermined
Unfortunately, you are confused.

That guy who appears north of Aridell (I think he is called "Vidar the Knife") isn't the one that gave you the quest to kill Lilith. That "Vidar the Knife" thug is another one, who doesn't appear anywhere else in the game.
If you want to find the shady character and his thugs, exit Blackwater and go north. Follow the mountains to the east until you get to an opening there. If you try to cross, you'll be ambushed. The opening is near the north-east corner of the map (Blackwater Region).
Soybostero, Vidar and his buddies will also jump you at the crossroads on the map one east of Blackwater. In fact, unless it was patched in 1.05, you can kill them at the mountain pass ambush and they will reappear to jump you at the crossroads (and vice versa). But, yes, the guys on the map north of the woman looking for her husband are a different band of bandits.
---

Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

Actually to clarify things here, I think "Vidar the Knife" was the guy north of Aridell, he ambushes you with a group of thugs in the "shortcut".

The "Shady Character" I don't believe ever gives you his name and he ambushes you in one (or both if that bug still exists) of two places either East of Blackwater at the Crossroads, (not too far from the quick travel point) or north in the mountain path on the way to Vela. He always ambushes with a group of Barrea Mercenaries.
PKodon
Initiate

Post by PKodon »

Okay, I know this is supposed to be where you post quests you've found, but now I've got a question...

I went to the pub and talked to the Shady Character, and when I told him Lilith was my friend and he could go take a flying leap, he picked a fight with me. I had to kill him then and there, but then I got the following message (may not be word-for-word, as I'm typing this from memory):

"A quest has been removed from your Quest Log because it can no longer be completed. You may still be able to finish the game."

And the quest notebook flashed.

Now, I reloaded and looked at the quest log, both before and after having this conversation with the Shady Character. I could find no difference in the quests listed. Is this just removing the "Kill Lilith" quest from the list of possible quests (even though it's not been given to you yet), or does the Shady Character give you another quest later if you kill Lilith and give him the amulet (without raiding her chest in the Repository)?

From what I'm reading, everyone seems to raid the repository before giving the amulet to the Shady Character, then end up killing him later when he ambushes you. (BTW, it was quite comical to meet up with him when I had enough Hide in Shadows skill to hide in the middle of nowhere after dark - his mercenaries were wandering around me wondering where I was hitting them from - pity he doesn't drop a bag with the amulet in it, and possibly some other cool stuff when he dies).
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

The Shady Guy just has the one quest. But you net more experience by emptying the vault first and meeting up with him to kill him too when he finds out.
greencero
Pledge

Post by greencero »

Jinx wrote:

Easter Eggs: There are 3 easter eggs. Upon retrieving all 3, placing them in the candelabra thing in Shadowmirk will level you. For the record, sadly, I had to look up the "apple" part of that quest. I thought it was looking for the acorn, but I turned that in for the quest and I thought I may be out of luck.

*j
can you guys tell me where this eggs are , i play eschalon book 1 for 2 years and i can't find it (please tell me) :oops:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Posted reply in your other topic.
---