Other Resources: Github | Sourceforge
Latest Release: v1.0.1 April 15, 2014
Windows Installer: eschalon_utils_1_0_1_setup.exe (sig)
Linux/Source .tgz: eschalon_utils-1.0.1.tar.gz (sig)
OSX .dmg: Eschalon Utils 1.0.1.dmg (sig)
Other/Source .zip: eschalon_utils-1.0.1.zip (sig)
Quite awhile ago, I got to be curious about the structure of Eschalon Book I character savegame files, and wrote up some quick code to do some introspection and poking around for my own benefit. It wasn't long before it developed into a fully-fledged GUI character editor, and later on a map editor as well. When Book II was released, it wasn't too long before support for that got added in as well.
For much more extensive information, including a lot of information which you'll need if you want to do any serious map editing, see the documentation at the utility's homepage. Some things to note here, however:
- This should be considered beta software; make backups before you use it on your files.
- This was developed in Linux using Python/PyGTK/Glade, but should work on both OSX and Windows. Ever since 0.5.0 I've provided a Windows EXE, and there are instructions for installation on OSX at the webpage.
- Most attributes you'd want to edit are available, but there's still quite a bit of data in the files that I haven't deciphered yet.
Known Book I Modifications built using this editor: (Let me know if I've missed any.)
- Thaermore Revisited, by Jedi_Learner
- Elderhollow Rebuilt, by King_ov_Death (unfortunately, no downloads for this were ever made public, though. Some nice screenshots, though.)
- Raver Dave's Book I Mod, by raverdave2k
Book II Editor Thread
Book III Editor Thread