Savefile Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Re: Savefile Character / Map Editor

Post by raverdave2k »

xolotl wrote: Yeah, if you want your mod to have custom items, or otherwise do some stuff which simply isn't possible using the global map files, what you'd probably want to do is start a new game, maybe use the character editor to give yourself a powerful character, and then just go visit the maps you need to edit, and quit the game immediately after entering the map. Then you'd make a copy of both the .map and .ent and edit those however you like, and those would be the ones you'd distribute. That way, you're starting with a completely "fresh" map, without any entities killed, etc.
Thats exactly how I go about it though I must rember next time to keep a permanent backup of the original save game maps.

It also helps to pop a script on an object at the starting point and use several activate_qt commands to enable all the quick travel points.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Minsk wrote:Would it be possible to just add a teleport to 32.map and if player x copys the mod files he only gets the teleporter to 32.map and everything else will stay the same for him (killed enemys, destroyed doors ect.) ?
Nope, basically what you're trying to do isn't possible. I'd recommend that you just add the teleporter to either a global map file or a "fresh" savegame file, and put up a sign or something saying "Don't go through here unless you've finished the main game." You might just be stuck hoping that your audience is abiding by the honor system.

One thing you could possibly try is using a condition which checks for, say, the last ingame quest... You might be able to toggle some kind of door or barrier which will only open up at or near the endgame.

In summary again, though: if you ship a new .map or .ent as a savegame, it will completely overwrite the map that the player has in their own savegame - there's no merging. Likewise, once the player has a savegame of a map, Eschalon will never re-read the global map file.
Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

Thanks for that xolotl, now i understand what you mean.
So i will just use "new" savegame .map and .ent files.

By the way, it looks like it is impossible to get back to other areas after you placed the Crux of Ages at the holder.
Also, i cant load the bs.map from a savegame after placing the Crux of Ages, the loading stops halfway through and gets stuck.

Oh, and every save has a "char" and a "savename" file, can you copy them straight to another save to change your charakter in the save ?

EDIT:
Some other questions:
  • In Crakamir you cant quick travell and at some places you cant rest (camp).
    Is there any way to make sure you can/can not quick travell or can/can not rest on a custom created map ?
  • Code: Select all

remove_npc <entnum>
    and

Code: Select all

npc_die <entnum>
    Do they both only remove or kill the NPC on the current map or on all maps ?
    Lets say i add another Omar NPC to my custom map and now use one of those commands, will this only affect the Omar on the current map or generally ?
    Or if the player already killed Omar in his save and i place a new one on my custom map, will this "new" Omar be alive and will he react to those both commands correctly ?
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

Minsk wrote: Oh, and every save has a "char" and a "savename" file, can you copy them straight to another save to change your charakter in the save ?
Only need to move the char file, the savename file just contains the time and date you last saved the game and the name of the save that appears in the Save / Load windows.

Be aware, I believe the char file also contains the map and co-ords you were at when you saved so if you copy them to another slot that is were you will appear when you reload.
Minsk wrote: In Crakamir you cant quick travell and at some places you cant rest (camp).
Is there any way to make sure you can/can not quick travell or can/can not rest on a custom created map ?
Hmm, in the book 2 editor these are both selectable options in the Map Properties screen, not there for Book I though, so unless the value of the 'Outside' field has some effect on this it would appear to not be possible at the moment, I'll run an experiment shortly.
Minsk wrote:
  • Code: Select all

remove_npc <entnum>
    and

Code: Select all

npc_die <entnum>
    Do they both only remove or kill the NPC on the current map or on all maps ?
    Lets say i add another Omar NPC to my custom map and now use one of those commands, will this only affect the Omar on the current map or generally ?
    Or if the player already killed Omar in his save and i place a new one on my custom map, will this "new" Omar be alive and will he react to those both commands correctly ?
I think your going to have to do a little bit of trial and error to find the answer to that one out.
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Minsk wrote:Do they both only remove or kill the NPC on the current map or on all maps ?
I'm pretty sure that those commands only affect entities on your current map. Entities on any other map would remain unaffected.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

raverdave2k wrote:
Minsk wrote: In Crakamir you cant quick travell and at some places you cant rest (camp).
Hmm, in the book 2 editor these are both selectable options in the Map Properties screen, not there for Book I though, so unless the value of the 'Outside' field has some effect on this it would appear to not be possible at the moment, I'll run an experiment shortly.
Right, I've had a play with the following options:

Map Properties > Outside: As was already known setting this to 0 will prevent quick travel as this sets the map as being inside a dungeon. This is no good for disabling QT on an exterior map though as it states that you are in a dungeon when you try and also disables the day / night cycle.

Map Properties > Unknown Short 1: Tried various values for this but no effect on either camping or quick travel.

Tile Properties > Unknown:
Setting this to 1 appears to stop you setting up camp on the tiles to the left and right of given tile with the message about not having enough rooom but does not stop you camping on the tile itself or those above and below.

Obviously there is an option in there some where to disable camping as you can't camp near or in towns but I don't know if this is an as yet unfound value in the mapfiles or hard coded in the game.

xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

raverdave2k wrote:Tile Properties > Unknown: Setting this to 1 appears to stop you setting up camp on the tiles to the left and right of given tile with the message about not having enough rooom but does not stop you camping on the tile itself or those above and below.
Ah, nifty! I'll have to get that label updated for the next release, whenever that is. Thanks!
Obviously there is an option in there some where to disable camping as you can't camp near or in towns but I don't know if this is an as yet unfound value in the mapfiles or hard coded in the game.
It's been quite awhile since I've looked into the various unknowns... I'm currently under the impression, though, that it was the simple proximity to friendly NPCs which triggers that warning. Maybe try killing everyone in the town, and then see if you can camp in the middle? I seem to recall being able to do that, but it's been awhile.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

xolotl wrote:
It's been quite awhile since I've looked into the various unknowns... I'm currently under the impression, though, that it was the simple proximity to friendly NPCs which triggers that warning. Maybe try killing everyone in the town, and then see if you can camp in the middle? I seem to recall being able to do that, but it's been awhile.
It would appear that you are correct you can not camp near friendly NPCs, though exactly what the limits are I'm not to sure. I've jut done a test using a blank map and the Abygale NPC and the distance before I could camp varied from 8 - 18 tiles depending on which direct I headed, I've not yet experimented to see if it varies depending on which NPC it is.

Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

Quick question:
Is it possible to add some more tiles to the south or any other direction ?
I created a map but now saw that i would need some more space in the south and dont want to creat the whole map again from scratch...is there a solution to this ?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Minsk wrote:Quick question:Is it possible to add some more tiles to the south or any other direction ?
I created a map but now saw that i would need some more space in the south and dont want to creat the whole map again from scratch...is there a solution to this ?
There's no way to add extra space on any side, no... If I had some actual standard editor-like functions available to, like, copy+paste, or even just nudge the existing map in a given direction, then that would be a possibility, but unfortunately the editor doesn't actually support that, at the moment.

If you're willing to wait until the end of the week or so, I could see if I could hack something together that'd do that - perhaps not actually integrated into the GUI, but something that you'd at least be able to run to "nudge" your map up. The first half of this week is going to be pretty crazy actual-workwise, though, so I wouldn't be able to start on that until probably Thursday at the earliest.
Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

Thanks xolotl, that would be great ! :D
Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

I have a question about the map exit's:

If i leave one map (lets say south exit) i will enter the next map at the same tile that i leaved the map before is this correct ?
Othwise the game will do what ? Crash ?
So you have to be really carefull and make sure that if you leave map 1 to the south that you can enter the tile on map 2 (north)...
Or am i wrong ?

Oh, would it be possible to draw more then one tile ?
Like with a "bigger brush" so you can draw bigger areas in less time ?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Minsk wrote:If i leave one map (lets say south exit) i will enter the next map at the same tile that i leaved the map before is this correct ?
Yeah, pretty much.
Othwise the game will do what ? Crash ?
So you have to be really carefull and make sure that if you leave map 1 to the south that you can enter the tile on map 2 (north)...
Or am i wrong ?
I'm guessing you'd probably just get "stuck" on the tile and not be able to move. You have nothing to lose by experimenting with it, of course. :)
Oh, would it be possible to draw more then one tile ?
Like with a "bigger brush" so you can draw bigger areas in less time ?
Yeah, that's been on the wishlist for awhile - I'll see what I can do. I'm afraid I'm not going to promise anything about that one, though.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Savefile Character / Map Editor v1.0.0 (April 2, 2014)

Post by xolotl »

Probably everyone's already noticed on the Book III modding forum, but there's a new version of the editor out, version 1.0.0. This release mostly just adds Book III support, but there's a few more minor tweaks and bugfixes which impact Book I, so it's probably a good update to get anyway, if you're playing around with Book II files. Enjoy!
pickaxe
Pledge

Re: Savefile Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

Post by pickaxe »

when I tried to give myself some arrows I get a book called arrows instead. Please help.. John