Just to Let you Know... (Minor Spoilers)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Just to Let you Know... (Minor Spoilers)

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

In an interesting addition, there's no mention here of the "ultimate cloak", and I'm sure each of us prefers the Priest's cloak or the Cloak of the Shadow depending on the character build, but for pure base armor, in my current game I found one I had never seen in the previous 6 games (even with a lot of rerolling). I picked up a Mithril-woven cloak, base armor 3, 1 pound.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Cloaks and Rings, followed by Hats/Helms, are definitely the most subjective of any of these - i.e. the most sensitive to which a Class you are.

In terms of Cloaks, I don't believe I've ever seen the Mithril-Woven Cloak, even after multiple play-throughs. I think the highest non-magical Cloak I ever saw was the so-called Heavy Cloak (Armor: 2(?)), which IIRC is actually considered Heavy Armor!

For Cloaks, I usually wanted the Cloak of the Shadow (which I'd usually imbue for +3 Armor) for my Rogue, Ranger and possibly Fighter character, while I definitely wanted the Priest's Cloak (again, later imbued +3) for my Healer, and even my Mage character.

Rings are even more all over the map. If you break it down by Class, you probably want:

Ring(s) of the Assassin - Fighters & Rangers (possibly Rogues too) for the ToHit bonus
Ring(s) of the Fire Master - Mages for extra Elemental Magic levels
Ring(s) of the Magi - Mages & Healers who want extra MPs
Ring(s) of the Harbinger - anyone who wants/needs extra HPs
Ring of the Shadow - Rogues (and anyone else) who wants high Hide in Shadows
Ring of the Hawk - anyone (mostly Rogues?) who want to be able to Spot Hidden (e.g. traps)

Which of these is the "ultimate"? Maybe none of them? Or maybe they all are! :wink:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

IJBall wrote:Cloaks and Rings, followed by Hats/Helms, are definitely the most subjective of any of these - i.e. the most sensitive to which a Class you are.

In terms of Cloaks, I don't believe I've ever seen the Mithril-Woven Cloak, even after multiple play-throughs. I think the highest non-magical Cloak I ever saw was the so-called Heavy Cloak (Armor: 2(?)), which IIRC is actually considered Heavy Armor!

For Cloaks, I usually wanted the Cloak of the Shadow (which I'd usually imbue for +3 Armor) for my Rogue, Ranger and possibly Fighter character, while I definitely wanted the Priest's Cloak (again, later imbued +3) for my Healer, and even my Mage character.

Rings are even more all over the map. If you break it down by Class, you probably want:

Ring(s) of the Assassin - Fighters & Rangers (possibly Rogues too) for the ToHit bonus
Ring(s) of the Fire Master - Mages for extra Elemental Magic levels
Ring(s) of the Magi - Mages & Healers who want extra MPs
Ring(s) of the Harbinger - anyone who wants/needs extra HPs
Ring of the Shadow - Rogues (and anyone else) who wants high Hide in Shadows
Ring of the Hawk - anyone (mostly Rogues?) who want to be able to Spot Hidden (e.g. traps)

Which of these is the "ultimate"? Maybe none of them? Or maybe they all are! :wink:
I always carry multiple sets of rings for varying situations, for instance, a couple Rings of the Hawk for wandering through the Whistling Caverns looking for gems. Also, of course, the Brewmaster's rings for when I'm imbuing/alchemizing. However, I have never seen the Ring of the Fire Master. Interesting.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
melth
Initiate

Post by melth »

Gegorty wrote: 10. Light Torso
Diamond Studded Jerkin
Not sure where to get this. I think I saw one for sale in Bordertown.

doesn't matter where you get it
because the adamantine studded jerkin is better.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Gegorty wrote: 13. Belts
Warlord's Plated Belt
Not sure where to find this one. Sad. It's eluded me.
The Warlord's Plated Belt is only armor rating 2, although it does come with +2 speed and +1 armor. For my money, a heavy plated belt (armor rating 3) with +3 imbued armor bonus is the better belt.

Also, since nobody has mentioned cloaks, I suspect that the best is the mithril-woven cloak, which is armor rating 3 heavy armor. At least, that's the best I've managed to find.

With a complete set of the best armor in the game - Adamantine Great Helm +3, Mithril-Woven Cloak +3, Amulet of Greater Protection, Adamantine Chest Plate +3, Heavy Plated Belt +3, Adamantine Plate Gauntlets +3, Adamantine Greaves +3, Adamantine Great Shield +3, and Adamantine Plate Boots +3 - I have Armor Rating 75 without buffs. That's enough for Tauraxes to have 2% chance to hit!
foo.png
foo.png (100.55 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

SpottedShroom wrote: With a complete set of the best armor in the game - Adamantine Great Helm +3, Mithril-Woven Cloak +3, Amulet of Greater Protection, Adamantine Chest Plate +3, Heavy Plated Belt +3, Adamantine Plate Gauntlets +3, Adamantine Greaves +3, Adamantine Great Shield +3, and Adamantine Plate Boots +3 - I have Armor Rating 75 without buffs. That's enough for Tauraxes to have 2% chance to hit!
Tauraxes? No such critter in Book 1. Goblins yes. :D The ones you mentioned are in Book 2. :wink:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Jedi_Learner wrote:The Taurax are in Book I, but they are few in number compared to the Goblins and they only use melee. No Spearmasters until Book II.
I'm going to have to go replay it..no, wait a minute..were they in the place you had to get 'special' water in the desert? It's been so long! :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

They were all over Crakamir The first ones you meet are in the destroyed city of Loneloft. There are some guarding the pure water at the oasis, and also some in the goblin citadel. And when you get high enough level, you get them for camping encounters.