Just to Let you Know... (Minor Spoilers)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Gegorty
Initiate

Just to Let you Know... (Minor Spoilers)

Post by Gegorty »

If anyone wants to know where to get the ultimate EVERYTHING, just read here.

1. Ultimate Sword:
Divine Ore Great Sword:
Kill Lilith and take the amulet she drops, Then go to the underground repository in Blackwater and use it to open a chest with the sword inside.

2. Ultimate Bludgeoning Weapon
Skullsplitter
It's in a chest in the Goblin Citadel where you have to set the slider lock to 66. A friendly goblin named Gruzz can tell you this and he's in the Whistling Cave, but I haven't been able to find him

3. Ultimate Cleaving Weapon
Executioner
You get the Executioner by going into the Mysterious Cave and going all the way to the end and getting out of a chest guarded by about 5 Barrea Mercenaries. There's also the divine ore that Gunther asked for in a chest next to it. And if you are one of those confused people who don't know how to get past that part with all the obelisks (I know I was stuck for AGES...) all you have to do is bring about 10 torches with you and put one in each sconce and step on the pressure plate.

4. Ultimate Bow Weapon
Recurved Composite Great Bow
You get this from a coffin in Tangletree Ossuary, and you can easily find it as it's just about the only room with light in it. There's a slider lock on it, and you can crack it by talking to Oosaleph and doing his quest. He will tell you the code. And I'm not sure what the code was, but I think it was 167 Correct me if I'm wrong...

5. Ultimate Arrow
Diamond Head Arrow
I don't know how to get this. I just used regular arrows on my ranger, and entered the citadel with flight arrows. The best I ever had were assasin arrows, and I bought 7 of them, cause that's how much was in stock. So yeah. Sorry bout that.

6. Throwing Weapons
Flask of Incinerator Fuel
You get this from Hesham, the guy who works in the Eversleep Crypt when you complete his quest and bring him the 10 hive larvae. You should get one, as you are probably going to have to go to the Whistling Cave and fight the Hive Queen for Lilith, and there's like 15 larvae behind the queen, so you should have no trouble finding any (But you don't have to go to the cave, because the first time I played I just went straight to Blackwater and stumbled upon the Repository by accident, and they still accept your passkey!). You should save it to fight Dirachnid, as it's the only one you'll get in the game. I forgot to use it when I fought Dirachnid though. Still won!

7. Ultimate Shield
Adamantine Great Shield
I'm sorry, I used a ranger to finish my games, so I don't do shields. I don't know where this is.

8. Ultimate Light Helm
Steel Chainmail Coif
You can basically get this anywhere. I got mine in Elderhollow when I looked in a barrel.

9. Ultime Heavy Helmet
Adamantine Great Helm
Probably the easiest to get. Unless you're a magick user, then you should get an unknown item from the chest in Sonya's House of Pain in Blackwater. If you have high level Lore spell like me, then you should identify it as the Adamantine Great Helm.

10. Light Torso
Diamond Studded Jerkin
Not sure where to get this. I think I saw one for sale in Bordertown.

11. Ultimate Heavy Torso
Adamantine Plate Armor
This is in a chest in the middle of Crakamir, and it's guarded by loads of goblins and Taurax, so watch out!

12. Gloves
Adamantine Plate Gauntlets
Yup, I do not know where to get this one either. I went through the final stages of the game with gauntlets of the warlord.

13. Belts
Warlord's Plated Belt
Not sure where to find this one. Sad. It's eluded me.

14. Ultimate Leggings
I'm terribly sorry, but I don't know WHAT the ultimate leggings are. Maybe someone could post them here?

15. Ultimate Boots
Adamantine Plate Boots
I think you can get these randomly. I've gotten 2 pairs of them in the whole game, one in Tangletree Ossuary, and one in the lighthouse. I'm not really sure if they're SUPPOSED to be there though.

16. Rings
Ring of the Assasin
Now this might not be the best to healers or mages, but it's worth the most price wise. You can buy it at stores late in the game.
crazybecky
Initiate

Re: Just to Let you Know... (Minor Spoilers)

Post by crazybecky »

I don't know, this is all pretty subjective. Given that you can imbue your weapons and armor and this chart doesn't take into account all of that, I would doubt that everybody is going to agree with you. Plus, there are a whole lot more armor items that give you skill that many people prefer (e.g. the cartography sandals, the rope belt of the healer, the ranger's gloves that add to your dex score, the helmet that boosts your intelligence, etc.). Typically I would use these and just imbue them for extra protection. People usually have a weapon preference as well -- and actually with imbuing you can get a lesser "native skilled" weapon to either deal the same damage and have the same ability to hit as the weapons you listed, or even greater.

Everybody plays the game a little differently and prefers different stuff. Your list wouldn't work for every type of character (maybe a fighter type, but that's it.) :P
Artius
Initiate

Post by Artius »

crazybecky

You don't seem to take into account that these "utlimate" weapons can all be imbued as well (for both tohit and damage). How can the weapon with the highest base damage not be the best?

I agree with you on the armor though. It's usually best to get something with a skill or attribute bonus and imbue that, rather that just go for the highest base protection.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

Until someone mentions a better one

14. Ultimate Light Leggings
Mithril Studded Leggings, only ever found them randomly in a shop.

(Base armor of 4)
The Noid
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by The Noid »

Personally I prefer:
12. Ranger Lord's Mithril Bracers
Light Armor, Base Armor Raging: 3
+5 ToHit
+4 Bow Weapons

Of course imbued to +3 as well :)
crazybecky
Initiate

Post by crazybecky »

The weapon with the highest base damage isn't the best if you aren't proficient in using it. That's all I meant by subjective. If I have focused on getting a high skill in bows, it doesn't really pay for me to use "The Executioner" if I can't hit anything with it.
The Noid
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by The Noid »

Unclever title wrote:Until someone mentions a better one

14. Ultimate Light Leggings
Mithril Studded Leggings, only ever found them randomly in a shop.

(Base armor of 4)
I just found:
14. Diamond Studded Leggings.
Base Armor Rating: 5

Was in one of Gramuk's chests.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

The Noid wrote:I just found:
14. Diamond Studded Leggings.
Base Armor Rating: 5

Was in one of Gramuk's chests.
Yeah I had a feeling that one would exist.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

What's the Ultimate Short Blade (e.g. for mages)?

I know Stilettos are Damage = 3.

I think I once saw a dagger/short blade that was Damage = 4 or 5, but I don't remember what it was, or where I saw it. And I don't think I've ever seen a magic/imbued short blade for sale...
Gegorty
Initiate

Post by Gegorty »

IJBall wrote:What's the Ultimate Short Blade (e.g. for mages)?

I know Stilettos are Damage = 3.

I think I once saw a dagger/short blade that was Damage = 4 or 5, but I don't remember what it was, or where I saw it. And I don't think I've ever seen a magic/imbued short blade for sale...
I think it was the adamantine dagger in the chest in Lilith's house. I'm not sure though...
crazybecky
Initiate

Post by crazybecky »

I agree with the Adamantine dagger of Lilith's. On my first playthrough my character was a rogue and I used short bladed weapons. I think this is the best one the game makes. You can also buy these late in the game *very occasionally* in the stores when they show up.
Eschalonian
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Eschalonian »

Artius wrote:crazybecky

You don't seem to take into account that these "utlimate" weapons can all be imbued as well (for both tohit and damage). How can the weapon with the highest base damage not be the best?
I used to think to so too. But I discovered that these weapons have a huge drawback. They are way too heavy. The first time I played the game, I put points in Sword so that I can use the Divine Ore Great Sword. But next time, I will put points in Axe and use the Executioner instead.

For bows, for example, I would use one that's light enough to allow me to cast spells. Having to unwield it just to cast a spell is not fun for me. I would sacrifice a few points of damage for the convenience.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

Well these weapons are ultimate insomuch that they can allow the character the highest damage per hit (within their own categories) ignoring skill.

Just because a weapon is considered ultimate does not necessarily make it immediately useful as each weapon has it's own skill and attribute requirements before it becomes useful.

I would still consider these weapons ultimate if only for the fact that they are the weapons in the game that cause the most damage. Their desirability of course depends on the character the player is building.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Gegorty wrote:If anyone wants to know where to get the ultimate EVERYTHING, just read here.

14. Ultimate Leggings
I'm terribly sorry, but I don't know WHAT the ultimate leggings are. Maybe someone could post them here?
Just to follow up on this, Unclever Title is correct about light leggings:

14a. Ultimate (Light) Leggings
Diamond Studded Leggings (Armor: 5 Weight: 4.0 lbs)

But no one seems to have come up with the ultimate heavy leggings - they are:

14b. Ultimate (Heavy) Leggings
Adamantine Greaves (Armor: 6 Weight: 9.0 lbs)

The next best would be Steel Plate Greaves (Armor: 5 Weight: 10.0 lbs)

In addition, Adamantine Plate Gauntlets would be the ultimate Heavy Gloves, and Adamantine Plate Boots would be the ultimate Heavy Boots - there are 'ultimate' "Light" versions of both, but I'm not totally certain what they are (maybe Diamond Studded Leather Gloves and Diamond Studded Leather Boots?...).

Anyway, just clearing out some old Book I notes, and I thought I'd post them before I chucked them. :mrgreen:
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

IJBall wrote:Just to follow up on this, Unclever Title is correct about light leggings:

14a. Ultimate (Light) Leggings
Diamond Studded Leggings (Armor: 5 Weight: 4.0 lbs)
Credit goes to The Noid actually.