Best Spell in the World

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Gegorty
Initiate

Best Spell in the World

Post by Gegorty »

If you are a mage or healer, I seriously recommend you get supernova or mass boil. I've started my mage and find supernova really useful. It can help with all sorts of monsters in various stages. Like in Shadowmirk, you can basically kill everything inside Shadowmirk (Excluding Walter and Erubor and the Dimensional Eye) without getting hit once! On the Necromancy Studies, just hide behind the door and keep casting Supernova to hit the skellies! In Arachnid Chamber, hide behind a wall and do the same thing. And the easiest is the proving chamber. Why bother opening the porticullis and risk getting hit when you can just cast supernova?

Also, there are many more ways in which the spell is useful. In dungeons, when monsters are hidden behind porticullis, and you can even get thrown into the pit in the underground repository and not care! Why? Because you can simply kill the dimensional eyes with supernova or mass boil beforehand!

Supernova and Mass Boil also help with the final stages of the Goblin Citadel. With the Taurax in the maze easily gone (Thanks to supernova), you can go to Gramuk and pick the lock on one of the doors. THen kill Gramuk and hide while repeatedly casting supernova or mass boil. Since Dirachnids can't open doors, you are perfectly safe!

Finally, if you've gone to Whistling Cave, and killed the queen, well, you seriously better watch out. There's going to be like 20 hives after you at once. But you don't have to worry if you had supernova like me! And supernova and mass boil at high levels also make getting Destroyer ending incredibly easy. Fortify your mana and pack up lots of mana potions, then drink an invisibility potion and cast away as the dumbfounded spire guards are hit again and again without even realizing where you are. It also looks very nice when so many are hit at once.
Krampf
Pledge

Re: Best Spell in the World

Post by Krampf »

I have not finished the game yet, but I have a different choice for "Best Spell in the World". Portal! This spell is so powerful that it feels like cheating. Examples:

1. Before you camp to rest, anchor a portal about 30 spaces away, and then snooze in peace. If anything goes bump in the night, open the portal, and suddenly you are behind them, ready to blast away. I find myself dreaming of large packs of thugs and goblins, with their goodies to drop.

2. When you find your mana running low in the middle of a quest, anchor a portal. Then blink back to town (you did put an anchor there too, right?) Sell any loot, buy any supplies, go outside for a refreshing nap (Don't forget an anchor there too as in #1), and then blink back to the quest. All the nice little beasts will be right where you left them, ready for you to continue the slaughter. As long as you keep enough mana for that one blink (make it your first anchor, so it only takes 6 points), you can take a coffee break in the middle of the nastiest battle.

3. Put an anchor next to an empty chest. If you get cursed and don't have the spell to remove it, suddenly all that expensive armor is too heavy! If you don't want to drop it in the desert, blink back to your chest. Deposit the armor. Get uncursed. Then go back to the chest, get rearmored, and then go back to get the critter that cursed you.

4. Unlike quick travel (which also feels like cheating), portal works even if you are poisoned.

Now, I have not finished the game. If I was designing it, I would put a few nasty places where the portal spell did not work, specifically for people like me that get too used to it. :D
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

Fun glitch I found with portal at one point I didn't quite have enough MP to cast the spell but tried anyway. It worked and my MP went into negative digits.

Not really a problem but it was pretty funny though. I should note that I'm still using version 1.04 so 1.05 may not have this bug. Also I've never tried it a second time so I don't even know if it's consistent perhaps I'll try it again at a humane hour of the day. (1 AM here)
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

At least Entangle is fun on lower levels.

Wack! "Meep!", struggle. Wack! "Meep!", struggle.

Sort of sad, in a way. But it's their fault for attacking me.

Also, ever since I've been playing a fighter w/o spellcasting ability, I've been realizing just how much I miss Air Shield whenever I get swarmed and can't take use my usual retreat-to-narrow-space tactic.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Krampf
Pledge

Post by Krampf »

Well, I just won the game for the first time, and am even more convinced that portal is WAY too powerful. It made the final battle far too simple. Set a level 2 portal anchor before you go in, blast away until you are low on mana, portal outside (level 1 anchor in a safe spot) for a nice nap, portal back in and continue blasting. After getting portal, I have no use at all for healing or mana potions, besides selling them.

For Book 2, it would be a bit more of a challenge if creatures healed with time too.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Krampf wrote:For Book 2, it would be a bit more of a challenge if creatures healed with time too.
If you look at the description of the Mire Troll on the Book II page, you'll see that your prayer may be answered, in a "be careful what you wish for" manner. :)

http://basiliskgames.com/monster2.html
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Krampf
Pledge

Post by Krampf »

If you look at the description of the Mire Troll on the Book II page, you'll see that your prayer may be answered, in a "be careful what you wish for" manner. :)

http://basiliskgames.com/monster2.html[/quote]

Cool! I love a good challenge!
Poxx
Initiate

Post by Poxx »

Invisibility is definately the best spell in the World for me. It turned a hard fight ( Gramok ) into something too easy for words. It's definately too powerful. You can do anything you want ( even attack ) while invisible and the monsters will just ignore you.