E:B1 Version 1.05

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: E:B1 Demo version 1.05 [beta]

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Hmm...has this bug increased in frequency with 1.05? Seems like it...
I've never seen it at all, before the 1.05 demo.

Could it be a consequence of the version update of the programming language?...
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I saw the save and reload in a different place bug again in v1.05 revised. It seems to appear about 5% of the time.

In v1.04 it appeared less than 0.1% of the time, and I reloaded 10 to 20 times per container loot farming. :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Let's try this again....

There is a new Windows version of 1.05 posted in the first link. [ BETA 3 ]

With this new version there is a slightly different [save_game] function- the key to it is you need to be loading a game that was SAVED by THIS version to test it. If you are loading a game that was saved with a previous version 1.05 or lower, then you might see the misposition error occur. I didn't want to break old saved games, so the "fix" to this will only be seen if you are loading a game that was saved by this very latest version.

I hope this makes sense. :?

I will try to get a new Mac version up tonight.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

My save and reload was with a brand new game just saved on that version after playing on it. I don't know if there was any contamination from older games that had been saved in that slot in the Documents folder. Spiderweb games had some problems with old information from previous games not being deleted when the file is overwritten.

Edit - My first 3 times it occurred was in a demo only game with a new save game folder so it couldn't be caused by older games or using an older version than 1.05.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Randomizer- to clarify, there is a new Windows version (this is the third version posted, we'll call it BETA 3) posted Tuesday evening with the new save routine. Are you using this brand new version?

I have gone back through my posts and labeled which beta version is which. Unfortunately there is no way to identify this within the game.

Again- anyone who can test BETA 3, please start a game, make multiple saves and try reloading these saves. If you use BETA 3 to load any game from BETA 2 or earlier (including 1.04) then it will use the old load routine known to cause strange positioning occasionally. What I need to know is if BETA 3 can save and load BETA 3 games without the positioning errors.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

To clarify -

Mac v1.05 Beta 1 - New character generated with Beta 1 version and saved only in new game folder generated by this beta. 3 reload errors where character appears in area that can't reach the regular playing area: out to sea north of Aridell, trapped in woods southwest of Aridell and south of the river, in North Parish at the south loading zone barrier with no character visible.

MAc v1.05 Beta 2 - New character generated with full version of v1.04 and saved in v1.04 game folder. Played in beta 2 with fewer reloads. 1 error where character appears in sea east of fungal slime swamp near game border.

It doesn't appear to be the same problems as Spiderweb games since the next reload is okay. I'm wondering if there is file information contamination in board memory with other programs that are running since I usually have Safari running to keep windows open.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

@ Randomizer: Oh, you are using the Mac version. No problem- I'll get a Mac 1.05 BETA 3 up later today.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:@ Randomizer: Oh, you are using the Mac version. No problem- I'll get a Mac 1.05 BETA 3 up later today.
I don't think anyone has reported this issue on the Windows (or Linux) version, have they?

I was getting the impression that only the Mac demo was doing the 'random location reload' thing. (Hopefully, if I'm wrong about this, someone will let us know!)
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

What's weird is that all the reported reloads in a different spot have been places that are out of the normal playing area: in the water, beyond the walls of Eversleeping Cemetery, etc.

Has anyone reloaded in a normal place that wasn't where the character should be?

Edit - I had another one dropping in the water near the border in the Eastern Salted Coast zone.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Okay....BETA 3 for Macintosh and Linux has been posted. BETA 3 for Windows has been up for a few days.

To recap: we are trying to hunt down the reason for the occasional glitch that causes the character to be positioned oddly on the map. Some of you have said this happens as much as 5% of the time when you reload an old game.

To test: Start BETA 3 and make several saves in several locations. Try reloading those saves and see if you experience the glitch where you are "teleported" to some odd location (i.e. middle of the ocean) upon loading.

Beware! If you use this version to load any save that is earlier than BETA 3, you will be using the OLD load function and may experience this glitch. Make sure you know which version of saved games you are loading. This test means nothing if you say that BETA 3 is glitchy when you've actually been loading BETA 2 or BETA 1 saved games. We need to know if this BETA 3 version can save and load other BETA 3 games without the glitch.

Finally...thanks to all of you who have helped out over the past week or so. If anyone has wondered what beta testing is like, hear you go- It's generally repetitive and boring.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Lewis the Beta Fighter

Lewis wakes up with a start; and almost falls on his face. Whoa, must've fell asleep standing up again. Wait.... again? He looks around in confusion. He attempts to look around, that is. Wha... am I blind all of a sudden or is it just really dark in here. Just where is here? His eyes are wide open, but it is pitch black with zero visibility. He holds up a hand in front of his face to verify. Well this is certainly a predicament that I'm in.

The "ground" beneath his feat feels solid, yet extremely flat. Tentatively, he takes a couple steps. A sudden lurching sensation comes over him... it feels as though his stomach is trying to leap up out of his body. Then a sensation of being frozen in place... an image of a sign floats in front of him, or perhaps it is in his mind. He doesn't recognize the language, but for some reason he can read the word "Loading..." Just as suddenly everything returns to normal... If being stuck in a black void can be considered 'normal' anyway...

Lewis takes a step forward. Nothing happens. He takes a few more. Still no change. He starts walking, not really sure where he is or where he's going. Sure beats just standing around... hopefully there's no sudden drops...

"I suppose it could be worse," he says aloud to the nothingness. "I could be surrounded by some giant ugly lizards that want nothing more than to gnaw on my limbs." A sudden chill ran down his spine. Giant lizards?? Why the hell did I say that?

Okies, here's what happened:

I downloaded 1.05 Beta 3

Uninstalled 1.05 beta 1

Renamed my 1.04 save games folder.

Installed 1.05 Beta 3.

Created Lewis the Beta Fighter... screenshot 1 illustrates where I started.

Tried moving, and screenshot 2 is where I landed.

Uninstalled 1.05 Beta 3.

Deleted save games folder.

Installed 1.05 Beta 3

Created Lewis the Beta Fighter... same problem.

Uninstalled 1.05 Beta 3.

Deleted save games folder.

Installed 1.05 Beta 1

Created Lewis the Beta Fighter... worked fine.
Oh noes!!!!! What'd you dooooooooo?!?!?!?

And this is all on Windows XP, mind you. I'm surprised this hadn't been noticed earlier... has anyone else used Beta 3 on Windows???
The Noid
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by The Noid »

I'll test the Linux version this weekend.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

CrazyBernie wrote:Created Lewis the Beta Fighter... worked fine.
Oh noes!!!!! What'd you dooooooooo?!?!?!?
Ah, crap.

As soon as I read this (rather creative) bug report, I tried it out on Mac. Yep- same thing. The new code breaks "fresh starts".

If anyone else is reading this....don't bother with BETA 3. She's broken.

BETA 4 will be posted soon. :x :? :cry:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

...And the fun never ends! :D

BETA 4 for Windows is up. Check the first post in this thread for details. We are still testing the "weird positioning upon load" anomaly. We will try to get Mac and Linux posted later today.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:...And the fun never ends! :D

BETA 4 for Windows is up. Check the first post in this thread for details. We are still testing the "weird positioning upon load" anomaly. We will try to get Mac and Linux posted later today.

Oh well. :) I'll try again later. Heh, got all excited when I saw that beta 3 was up then read the furthur posts here and went, sigh. Waiting.... :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!