Eschalon: Book I Version 1.05 FULL

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
poorfish
Pledge

Re: Eschalon: Book I Version 1.05 FULL

Post by poorfish »

I sent a second email several days ago and there is no response from Plimus. What do you suggest?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

You need to send the email to us at: info AT basiliskgames DOT com
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
DarkFoss
Pledge

Post by DarkFoss »

I just sent in my e-mail with the info. Thank you for making the upgraded version available :D
The beta worked fine for me on Mandriva 2009.0 x86_64 as does the full 1.04.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin 1755
enjay
Pledge

Post by enjay »

I emailed what I thought was my order number a couple of weeks ago... Thing is my lovely mother paid for the game and doesn't use the same email. I've got a forwarded copy of the order receipt if that's any help?

:D
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

enjay wrote:I emailed what I thought was my order number a couple of weeks ago... Thing is my lovely mother paid for the game and doesn't use the same email. I've got a forwarded copy of the order receipt if that's any help?

:D
Yes, just email the receipt but put your new email address in right up top so we don't miss it.
Akawrym
Pledge

Post by Akawrym »

Awesome nice to see a patch out! Email has been sent and I'm looking forward to getting back in.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Minor bug in Mac version - In the Outpost in the Burning Sands

The door at 25,26 is trapped but there is no trap type given and setting it off produces no damage or other bad condition.
vpak
Pledge

Post by vpak »

I had e-mailed my receipt to info@basiliskgames.com on Sat and haven't received a link to the updated version.

Can you please let me know if anything else is required?

Thanks,

Vic
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

vpak: Nope, that should be all you need! The weekend was busy and we are still sending out links. I'm sure yours will come through in the next few hours.
aniruddha
Initiate

Post by aniruddha »

It seems that 1.05 puts save files in a different location :? eschalon_b1_saved_games instead of .eschalon_b1_saved_games. In Linux this means the folder is no longer hidden. Is this a bug?
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

Why would you put saved games in a hidden folder (it would be hidden under Mac OS X, too)? This would make it very easy for someone to leave saved game files on your hard drive after deleting the game, using up space, unknowingly.

Just dis a search on my hard drive. It looks like, on the Mac, the games are saved in the Documents folder, under "Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games".

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
The Noid
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by The Noid »

It's the way things are normally done on Unix like systems.
Any files or folders that a user normally does not need to interact with directly are made "hidden" by adding a . in front. This also includes configuration files and the like. It will keep the overview clean when a user is browsing for his documents.

And showing hidden files is just 2 clicks away. Or one, depending on the viewer.
Getharn
Marshall

Post by Getharn »

The Noid wrote:It's the way things are normally done on Unix like systems.
Any files or folders that a user normally does not need to interact with directly are made "hidden" by adding a . in front. This also includes configuration files and the like. It will keep the overview clean when a user is browsing for his documents.

And showing hidden files is just 2 clicks away. Or one, depending on the viewer.
I don't think that game save files fall into the category. Typically this is done for the sorts of applications which are installed system-wide, and which have a global config default in /etc somewhere, and then allow per-user overrides via hidden files and folders in the user's home directory.

These files tend to be quite small, however, so they don't cause too much of a problem. Things like game save files can be a lot bigger, so it's rather more important that they don't build up too much without being noticed by the user. I realise there are other cases where this becomes large (.mozilla springs to mind), but these examples annoy me as well. Storing your browser cache in your home directory isn't a great idea if your home is mounted over a relatively slow NFS link.

Also, game save files are notionally "documents" as opposed to "configuration", so I'd say it's even less appropriate to put them into a hidden folder. Of course, this means that it should probably be configurable in the game, just like any other application that saves "documents", and I believe in Book II it will be.
The Noid
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by The Noid »

Getharn wrote:I don't think that game save files fall into the category. Typically this is done for the sorts of applications which are installed system-wide, and which have a global config default in /etc somewhere, and then allow per-user overrides via hidden files and folders in the user's home directory.
I have lots of games installed, and they all save in . directories.
my .wesnoth directory is huge for example.
Getharn
Marshall

Post by Getharn »

The Noid wrote:I have lots of games installed, and they all save in . directories.
Hm, that would irritate the hell out of me, I can't stand flat structures, I put everything into hierarchies. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I guess it's just more evidence that it's always better for these things to be configurable so you can please as many people as possible (except the coders who have to take out all those fiddly little hard-coded strings, of course :-) ).

You can take these things too far, of course - I've seen code where one of the config variables was seconds_per_minute... Maybe you were supposed to change it, very briefly, every time there was a leap second. :?