Re-download?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
madrigan
Initiate

Re-download?

Post by madrigan »

I emailed Basilisk with this question twice, but no response so far. I ran into an issue where the game wouldn't start after the initial preferences screen, it would just go to a black screen forever. I read a suggestion somewhere on the support forum about deleting and re-downloading. But, the download link from my purchase no longer works. So now my questions are: 1) Does Basilisk usually not reply to emails? and 2) How do I download the game again? It doesn't seem super complex to allow re-downloads in case of a problem.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Re-download?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Hi madrigan-

Yes, I actually respond to nearly 100% of the emails that come to me. Sometimes it takes a couple days to respond to an email depending on my schedule and the number of emails I have to respond to. I have been sending out a lot of download links recently, so I can't confirm whether or not I've responded to your email yet.

I will gladly send you a new download link, although I don't think a fresh install would help you. Here is some tips:

- Delete the entire "Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games" folder, if this folder has already been created. The system will try to rebuild it the next time you run the game. Doing this will correct any corruption you may have with the saved games folder or .cfg file. Note that if you have uninstalled an old game, the Saved Game folder (and .cfg file) will still be there and any corruption that might exist will plague you even if you do a fresh install.
- Check your Add/Remove Programs list and remove any OpenAL drivers that you see. We have found that OpenAL driver conflicts can sometimes hang the game- this is especially troublesome if you have changed sound cards and may have legacy drivers still on your system.
- Make sure your sound and video drivers are up-to-date.

If these things don't work, please post your full system specs in the Eschalon: Book I Support Forum and perhaps someone with a similar setup may provide you with some good advice.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
madrigan
Initiate

Post by madrigan »

Hi, thanks. I'm on a Mac, so I suppose your advice about Add/Remove programs doesn't apply. Would a corrupt saved game cause a crash before I had even tried to restore it? The game wouldn't even go to the title screen.

At this stage I need the new link anyway, because I deleted all the associated files aside from saves, including the installer.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

No problem. Send me another email so I can be sure I get your order information, or a private message here on the forums.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
madrigan
Initiate

Post by madrigan »

Everything is working again now.