Excellent game!

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Excellent game!

Post by MyGameCompany »

Just wanted to pop in and say "kudos" to the developer for this great game!

I played the Book 1 demo back in April, and enjoyed it so much I signed up as an affiliate and featured it on my web site. I know I've generated a at least a few sales for you! I also wrote a brief review in our newsletter that month. But I was too busy at the time to get the full version and play it through.

However, last weekend I bought the full version for my Mac and I've been playing it every night. I can really tell while I'm playing that this was a labor of love on the part of the developer. All the attention to detail is wonderful, and has resulted in some pleasantly surprising and very satisfying gameplay so far. For example, as I was nearing Bordertown I ran across a group of bandits. I was badly outnumbered, with half health and no healing potions, so I ran along the road with bandits in pursuit, hoping to find the town and a shop I could duck into to buy some healing potions. As I got near the town, I was surprised to see the townspeople rush out to intercept the bandits and start fighting them! In some RPGs, the townspeople would just stand there and watch you get killed. But this little detail made the game world feel so much more real and immersive! And I've had lots of other experiences like that, where the game world just seems to come alive. Awesome game!

Anyway, I just wanted to add my voice to the many you probably already hear and let you know how much I'm enjoying this game. Well done! And I'm really looking forward to Book II. Fortunately for me, Book 1 will keep me busy for a little while. Looking at the map in the user manual, I've only explored maybe 20-25% of the game world so far. So I better get back to my quest!

By the way, I may also write a full review of the game and post it on my site, once I finish the game. I don't do too many full-length game reviews... only for the games I really enjoy. This one certainly belongs at the top of that pile!

Thanks again!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Aldbeski
Marshall

Re: Excellent game!

Post by Aldbeski »

you know what i think thomas (BW) will really Like that
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

SuPeR RaPPeR wrote:you know what i think thomas (BW) will really Like that
I do too. It will make his day. :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

I've finished writing my review of Eschalon: Book 1. If anyone is interested in reading it, you'll find it on my web site here:
http://www.mygamecompany.com/Reviews/eschalonbook1.htm

I'm really enjoying this game. Still not done yet. Might be getting close. I've got 3 of the 4 goblin keys, and am looking for the elusive 4th key. (No hints please!)

Better get Book 2 wrapped up soon, I'm going to be ready to play it before too much longer! :D
Troy
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-Great. I read your review. Great. =]
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Thanks for the review! News link posted on front page.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Thanks for the review! News link posted on front page.
BW it looks like you have aquired another rabid fan! Quite the glowing review he has written, and I agree whole heartedly.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Just finished the game! I'm a bit bummed that the Goblin Citadel wasn't larger. I didn't expect to run into Gramuk so soon. But a satisfying game, nonetheless.

I'm also bummed I didn't get a chance to spend all that goblin booty! haha I hope we get to carry some of it forward into Book 2, and not start with empty pockets.

One comment: not sure if this is a bug or not, but after I finished reading the text at the end (above the scene of Tanglewood Forest), I clicked to skip ahead, and the game window vanished. I don't know if it crashed or just quit. It was a bit disconcerting. If it was really done, I would have expected it to take me back to the main menu so I could resume a game, start a new one, or exit normally.

Thanks for the great game! I'm ready for Book 2 now... hint, hint
Troy
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

MyGameCompany wrote:One comment: not sure if this is a bug or not, but after I finished reading the text at the end (above the scene of Tanglewood Forest), I clicked to skip ahead, and the game window vanished. I don't know if it crashed or just quit. It was a bit disconcerting. If it was really done, I would have expected it to take me back to the main menu so I could resume a game, start a new one, or exit normally.

Thanks for the great game! I'm ready for Book 2 now... hint, hint
Yeah that's how it exits after the end, I also found it rather disconcerting and slightly annoying that I'd have to go reopen the game so that I could go for a different ending.