OOPS!! Interface and Cartography discussion....

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
syrio
Apprentice

Post by syrio »

About the interface.. I have to say that i don't really like it. It seems that you're intentionally trying to cover as much of the gaming space as possible. All those wide borders around the screen, especially at the top. Huge spaces around the hp/mana bars. And where it says Next(lvl): 2000, why isn't it like the hp/mana , being XP - 500/2000? (just a small example)
So in short I'd prefer a much more compact interface and more visible gaming area. :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

The interface has shrunk a bit since the last round of screenshots. Specifically, we've trimmed away the unused top and left framing. Here's an exclusive forum-only screenshot of the updated GUI.

Yes, the interface is still undergoing changes and will probably continue to change all the up until the release. Features get cut out, other features get added....the current interface has undergone about 6 major design shifts since we started because of different items getting added and removed.

We will continue to experiment with it. :)

ZAP!! Screenshot removed. New screenshot with updated GUI coming soon.
Last edited by BasiliskWrangler on August 30th, 2006, 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ledorax
Initiate

Post by Ledorax »

"You are to far away to speak."

I guess that's why you need beta testers, eh? :)

Great screenshot though, the interface looks more stylish now.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yes, that "to" has already been changed to "too". I just caught that. {edit} Screenshot updated, 7th revision GUI, ver 2.
Last edited by BasiliskWrangler on August 22nd, 2006, 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Since we're analysing the interface.....

The way the top right icon bar juts into the main screen is a bit on the intrusive side. Could the icons perhaps be made smaller to the left edge of that bar lines up with the rest of the left edge, creating a tidier, less intrusive look?
Or could the icons be double-rowed, perhaps at the expense of the Experience meter; I'm not sure I see the reason to have your experience points being on the main game screen; you could just check the character sheet if you want that information.

Is the size of the text window at the bottom of the screen adjustable? In other words, could a player shrink and expand it to include only a few lines of text, or as many as they like? Nine lines seems a lot, unless there is constant feedback being given throughout the game.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

The interface si sweet :D
I wouldn't change anythig or maybe just make it more sinister(some skulls)
May the sky never fall on your head
syrio
Apprentice

Post by syrio »

It's good to hear you're trimming down the interface! Thanks for the screen and the answer.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Gallifrey wrote:Since we're analysing the interface.....

The way the top right icon bar juts into the main screen is a bit on the intrusive side. Could the icons perhaps be made smaller to the left edge of that bar lines up with the rest of the left edge, creating a tidier, less intrusive look?

Is the size of the text window at the bottom of the screen adjustable? In other words, could a player shrink and expand it to include only a few lines of text, or as many as they like? Nine lines seems a lot, unless there is constant feedback being given throughout the game.
I, too, would find the jutted out section a bit annoying after a while. A double row would be better, if at all possible.

As for the text window. I like the size you have it. Perhaps, the size or number of lines showing could be changed by each user in a preference file before starting the game?
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

The people have spoken! :D

Thanks for the input...we will make some changes. Expect a new screenshot in a week-ish.
blade
Pledge

Post by blade »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Yes, that "to" has already been changed to "too". I just caught that. {edit} Screenshot updated, 7th revision GUI, ver 2.
Don't worry about spelling and/or grammatical errors (if there are any). 13+ years of proofreading and writing speeches will take care of that 8).
Mark Deaton
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

blade wrote:There is no greater harm than that of time wasted.
A fine thing to have said on the forums for a fantasy role-playing computer game! ;)

Looking forward to the next interface screenshots!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
blade
Pledge

Post by blade »

Think of it in terms of a release date :lol:.
Mark Deaton
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

YAY new screen
I wanna see it
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

For those of you who don't regularly stop at the News page, we put that new screenshot up in the gallery section showing off the reduced interface.
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

Cool pic
I like the interface but as I said I woul like some skeletons on it(at least skulls)
And yeah I at least only enter the forum so no news visiting regularly :D