Time played mechanism

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Lynott
Initiate

Time played mechanism

Post by Lynott »

Hello,

I am a new player. I tried searching for this and didn't find anything, so I apologize if this is redundant.

Seeing this is a turn based game, if I need to walk away from the game and do something I don't hit a pause button or anything. Does the time played that displays when you save and load include the passage of time away from the game? Does the function just measure raw time or does it time out after a certain amount of inactivity and retrigger?

Deleted reference to Lilith is a Liar.

Thanks.
Last edited by Lynott on November 17th, 2009, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Time played mechanism

Post by Painted Lady »

Actually the "Lilith is a liar" posting was referring to something 99% of the people who play will never be aware of - it was more of a humorous aside than anything else. Don't read the post, but also don't assume that the title bears any relationship to the game you are playing.

I have never checked the game clock when I have walked away to do something else, but one hint about the answer might be seen in what happens when you are resting. If you wait too long to wake up and look around, you stand a high probability of some enemy sneaking up on you. So, even though you are not doing anything but camping, some sort of clock is still running.

Hope you are enjoying the game :)
Lynott
Initiate

Post by Lynott »

I deleted the bit about spoilers in titles as it was ill placed in this thread.

I would think that resting would count toward time played as turns are actually passing. I just wondered if it sensed inactivity and stopped counting at a certain point until you clicked something. I don't really want to be manic about it, I just want my time played to be kind of accurate. I am not racing or anything, I just wondered if I play fast or slow.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

I think the clock function counts the amount of time the game is running, whether your character fighting Taurax or just standing there while you go and make a sandwich.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Yeah, sorry I didn't chime in sooner. Book 1 tracks the time that the game is loaded, whether you are actually playing or not.

Book 2 tracks this as well, but also total number of turns played, and total "game days" played. Since the game functions on turns, it'd be a bit hard to make an accurate function to track how much actual time you are sitting and playing the game.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Lynott
Initiate

Post by Lynott »

Thanks for the replies. I am not complaining, just curious. Now I will do my best to not go make a sandwich in the middle of a battle.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Interesting... and I was sure it only tracked time expended while actually doing things, including camping of course, and that if you left the game in place for 10 hours and came back then it wouldn't count those ten hours.

I like being proven wrong.

At any rate... Lynott: I don't think the clock was intended as an admonishment?

...Although I could be wrong about that, as well.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
DewiMorgan
Initiate

Post by DewiMorgan »

I think of it more as a "you have extracted THIS much fun from the game!" counter. It's not 100% accurate, since if you die and reload, it doesn't count the time you spent between saving and dying. It also doesn't spend the time I spent hacking savegames and stuff :)

Even without counting that, though, compared to a music CD or movie DVD, I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of it. Games are GREAT value for money ;D