Resting record

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Resting record

Post by King_ov_Death »

How many time were you able to rest without being "startled awake by a nearby sound"?

My current record is 42 hours and 10 minutes.

Wish I could take a screenshot, but I'm running the game in OpenGL.

I have an "extra record":
Record.jpg
Record.jpg (192.3 KiB) Viewed 9400 times
Last edited by King_ov_Death on March 1st, 2010, 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jenna
Apprentice

Re: Resting record

Post by Jenna »

Hmmm I never waited around to find out! I would just sleep for 10HP then wake up, then sleep for another 10HP then wake up, etc. I never got bothered that way.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Jenna wrote:Hmmm I never waited around to find out! I would just sleep for 10HP then wake up, then sleep for another 10HP then wake up, etc. I never got bothered that way.
I usually do that, too; but I wanted to see how far I could go.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

Unless I am looking to level up on goblins, I watch the sun/moon dial at the top of the screen. One quarter of the dial and then hit esc. I never tried to see how long I could rest without a disturbance.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

After much trial and error, I have discovered that the longest you can consistently sleep without being rudely awakened is 4 hours. You can occasionally stay down for longer, but once you get in the habit of pushing the limit even 4 hours 1 minute can be too much.

Also, as the game progresses you can get back more hit and mana points with each nap because you recover points more quickly.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Jenna wrote:Hmmm I never waited around to find out! I would just sleep for 10HP then wake up, then sleep for another 10HP then wake up, etc. I never got bothered that way.
Are you sure this is wise? I hear that depriving your body of deep sleep can have negative physical and psychological effects in the long run.

Maybe BW can add deep sleep, as well as REM sleep, to Book III... the more dreams you have the more vivid they become, and with enough vivid dreams you gain bonuses to... to... Perception? And deep sleep adds bonuses to Concentration.

And getting woken up suddenly wrecks your nerves over time.

But this can be mitigated by putting points into your Tent Building skill, and your Hide In Tent skill.

...Or by drinking lots of vodka.

There should be vodka in Book III.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Evnissyen wrote:
Are you sure this is wise? I hear that depriving your body of deep sleep can have negative physical and psychological effects in the long run.
In all seriousness, sleep (or lack thereof) was actually what I considered to be an 'exploit' in Book I, and if it's not dealt with in Book II, I'll be adding it to my Book III wishlist.

But, yeah - if you've been awake a certain amount of time with *no* rest (like, say, 72 hours in game time), I think your character should just drop asleep on the spot for, say something like, 12 hours, and any "attacks" on your character during that time should be undefended. :shock:

Bottom line - I think there should be some game penalty for trying to avoid resting/camping after a certain amount of time (or possibly even for resting in odd short bursts...). :idea: :)
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

For the sake of remaining on topic: I've either slept in bursts, or at the nearest inn. I have enough sleepathons in real life (current record is about 20 hours). :mrgreen:

To me, sleep in a game is one of those "realism" mechanics that is totally unnecessary, other than the "rest at an inn to recover your total hitpoints/spellpoints" deal. It's one of those things you should be using your imagination for. Think about it... even with sleep, the epic quest that is Book I only takes a few weeks in game. It's no more "realistic" than the sleep feature itself. An epic adventure takes months, even years to complete.

It seems to me that just as I have become spoiled with shiny graphics, that others have become spoiled with imagination limiting features. :P

But, I suppose you need your challenges to overcome.... 0_o
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Edited with my new record!
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

I've made a super-mega new mark!! :lol:
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Hmmm... I don't think resting in an area where you won't get attacked can really qualify as a challenge. =P
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

CrazyBernie wrote:Hmmm... I don't think resting in an area where you won't get attacked can really qualify as a challenge. =P
Bastion Spire must be the only location in the game where you can not be ambushed while resting.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

CrazyBernie wrote:Hmmm... I don't think resting in an area where you won't get attacked can really qualify as a challenge. =P
Originally, my idea was to be awaken by Taurax, rush to where the Chancellor was and see if he would (try to) fight those beasts. And I wanted to see what would happen when all the Spire Guards appeared.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

IJBall wrote:But, yeah - if you've been awake a certain amount of time with *no* rest (like, say, 72 hours in game time), I think your character should just drop asleep on the spot for, say something like, 12 hours, and any "attacks" on your character during that time should be undefended. :shock:
¡Yes! Sleeping Sickness! Sleeping Sickness should be a challenge option for Book III. Say you're in the middle of a fight... .

It can make the game extra interesting. You'll never know when you might just drop off and fall asleep.

Anyway...

As for King's new record... I was going to suggest he'd edited the pic . . . before Bernie came along with his sensibility.

...See, I saw it and I was thinking it was Grimmhold.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
phaedrus
Apprentice

Post by phaedrus »

AK_Marty wrote:
Bastion Spire must be the only location in the game where you can not be ambushed while resting.
Lurik's (sp?) Basement. I've never gotten attacked there, and I've done some marathon rests in his basement. It also has the advantage of being a place you get access to really early in the game.