Rebuilding Elderhollow

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Re: Rebuilding Elderhollow

Post by Iane »

King_ov_Death wrote:
Iane wrote:have you figured out how to add a whole new map yet ;)
Yes. I started to design the Inn's wine cellar from scratch (I used Leurik's basement) and it actually works! (although there is not much to see, just a barrel with 8 bottles of ale :mrgreen: ).
You will find you will get a Savegame conflict or have the explored area overwritten as your wine cellar will be saved as "Leurik's basement"
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Iane wrote:
King_ov_Death wrote:
Iane wrote:have you figured out how to add a whole new map yet ;)
Yes. I started to design the Inn's wine cellar from scratch (I used Leurik's basement) and it actually works! (although there is not much to see, just a barrel with 8 bottles of ale :mrgreen: ).
You will find you will get a Savegame conflict or have the explored area overwritten as your wine cellar will be saved as "Leurik's basement"
I didn't replace the basement, I made a whole new map.
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

So when you play test your new map and save your game - what is the name of the save game map explored ?
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Iane wrote:So when you play test your new map and save your game - what is the name of the save game map explored ?
35_inncellar.map
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

From my understanding on how the maps are called on, you can create a "map link" and call it whatever you want... so theoretically you can create as many maps as you want, and as long as you put those maps in the /data folder, they'll be there when you start a new game.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

CrazyBernie wrote:From my understanding on how the maps are called on, you can create a "map link" and call it whatever you want... so theoretically you can create as many maps as you want, and as long as you put those maps in the /data folder, they'll be there when you start a new game.
That's what I did. I can access the map if I want and go back to Elderhollow too. If you wanna know something interesting, read below:
The stairs to the cellar are located inside what is now a room, where you find two salamanders, a chest and a skeleton that is no longer ther now.
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

So how did you create 35_inncellar.map as the map editor does not create new maps (unless I've missed something).

Also working on a Maze now.

Maze of Misery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQeGQAn92p0

Only 16 seconds and it's just a test for maybe a larger maze :)
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Just copy another file and rename it. Easy as pie. :mrgreen:

The hard part is deleting/adding tile-by-tile to build your new map.
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

CrazyBernie wrote:Just copy another file and rename it. Easy as pie. :mrgreen:
No it's not - Maybe I've not worded things correctly when asking King things (that's my fault) Since the editor does not create new maps just a Copy of another map will not work as intended in the game - in map editor bring up "Map Properties" for the copy of the map you are using (Say it's Leurik's Basement for example) Now look at the "MAP ID" and it says 25_basement
now unless you edit that ID name - when you Save your game after being in your new basement you have created it will save as 25_basement even if your map is called "35_inncellar.map".
CrazyBernie wrote:The hard part is deleting/adding tile-by-tile to build your new map.
Not any more :wink:
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Iane wrote:No it's not - Maybe I've not worded things correctly when asking King things (that's my fault) Since the editor does not create new maps just a Copy of another map will not work as intended in the game - in map editor bring up "Map Properties" for the copy of the map you are using (Say it's Leurik's Basement for example) Now look at the "MAP ID" and it says 25_basement
now unless you edit that ID name - when you Save your game after being in your new basement you have created it will save as 25_basement even if your map is called "35_inncellar.map".
Man, you just want all of the answers, don't you? :mrgreen:

It still works though. For instance, I copied "35_cellar.map" and renamed it "Bernie.map" And then opened "Bernie.map" and changed the Description from "A Dank Cellar" to "A Smelly Cellar." Then I made the Stairs Link on "35.map" call for "Bernie" instead of "35_Cellar" and sure enough, when I loaded the save and walked down the stairs, I was in "A Smelly Cellar" instead of "A Dank Cellar" even though the 35_Cellar.map was sill in the save folder. Apparently it's just another title header... maybe it's something linked to the .ent files... but as long as you have the map name in the folder, and link it properly it will load as many files as you want.

I did try opening the map file in notepad and changing the title designation that way, but then the map editor won't recognize the map... *shrug*
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

hahaha yes :lol: most of the time :mrgreen:

It still works yes - in a dirty way - that's why a Hex Editor is needed until map Editor generates clean new maps :wink:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Iane wrote:Also working on a Maze now.

Maze of Misery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQeGQAn92p0

Only 16 seconds and it's just a test for maybe a larger maze :)
This is a very cool implementation of a maze, BTW. :mrgreen:
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Oh man, how did I miss this thread? Way cool, hope this sees the light of day at some point. :)

FWIW, the issue with the map ID in the map file should be squared away as of more recent versions of the editor, which should make writing custom Book 1 maps easier.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

I'd like to let you know that I've started working again in the mod a few days ago. Soon I'll make a new topic with screenshots and some info.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Don't forget to back-up your files this time. :P
Don't worry, I will. :mrgreen:

Now, time to tune up a few things and take some screenies!