Late to the Game

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Arkos
Council Member

Late to the Game

Post by Arkos »

I realize I'm a bit late to the game here, but I finally managed to finish Eschalon Book I (I just don't have the free time I used to, so I could only play a few hours a week).

I was a Paladin (Virtuous Fighter), standard sword and board, with a smattering of Divination. Basically, I would buff myself up and then hack away. It was as close to an old AD&D paladin as I could get.

I really have to express my love for this game. For one, it actually runs on my computer! But also, I just love the fact that this game focused on the fun parts of a game--the story, the stats, etc., instead of just the graphics. I hate the fact that big name game companies nowadays pour 90% of their budget into making a game look pretty (and unable to run on any but the most advanced computers).

For me, it was the little things that really got me into Eschalon and made it immersive. For instance, the text descriptions that cropped up whenever you explored a new area. Now there is something you don't see anymore. No matter how pretty the graphics are, they can't tell you how something smells or feels like text descriptions can.

Also, the sound effects and music are great. I loved how when I walked past the blacksmith, I could hear the ringing of hammer against anvil, or the clatter of cutlery and hum of conversation in the tavern. I liked the sounds I heard in the desert. Often I would stop what I was doing, wondering, "Was that the wind? Or someone screaming? Dang, this place is creepy!"

I'm all ready sold on the two subsequent games. The day they are ready, I will be among the first in line to buy them. My only regret is I was too late to get a hard copy of Book I. I just prefer having a hard copy of any game I own, you know?

I'm curious, does Basilisk Games have any plans for games once Eschalon Book III is complete? Even rough ideas? I realize it's far off still, but I'm still wondering what's in store in the future.

Anyway, consider me an official fan of Basilisk Games from here on out. I can't wait for part II to come out. Good work!
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Re: Late to the Game

Post by King_ov_Death »

We're happy you loved the game!
Arkos wrote:I'm curious, does Basilisk Games have any plans for games once Eschalon Book III is complete? Even rough ideas? I realize it's far off still, but I'm still wondering what's in store in the future.
BW talked about a sci-fi themed RPG some time ago... If you want some info, just search here about it.
Arkos
Council Member

Re: Late to the Game

Post by Arkos »

King_ov_Death wrote:BW talked about a sci-fi themed RPG some time ago... If you want some info, just search here about it.
Ooh, that sounds pretty cool. Good to know there will be things to look forward to after Eschalon Book III is done.