Where is Phillip?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
ZXZXZX
Initiate

Where is Phillip?

Post by ZXZXZX »

I have killed all the slimes and now Phillip is no where to be found.

I suspect he may possibly have been killed by bandits who raided the town as I tried to rest. Could he have been killed? Did he chase a bandit away into the wilderness? I want my gold, dammit!

Is his quest vital to me traveling beyond Bordertown? Is he a game stopping NPC if he goes missing?
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Re: Where is Phillip?

Post by Unclever title »

Is Phillip the husband of a woman at a crossroads that asks you to find him? (Can't recall)

If so then no, he's not a game stopping NPC in any respect. However you might want to inspect the route to Bordertown a little more carefully. If I recall correctly he was in a hurry and might have tried to find a shortcut.
ZXZXZX
Initiate

Post by ZXZXZX »

Thanks for the quick replies.

Coincidentally, I had just returned the wedding ring to the woman at the crossroads before alt-tabbing to this window.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

Ah! Now I remember. Yeah I was off.

Come to think of it there are few NPCs that would break the game if they died.

There is the soldier who is your exit out of Darkford and there's Siam (more game crashing) though he doesn't even have to die! Then a couple others who could be considered as such but they still leave at least one game ending open.
I can't think of any others... and so long as you have the portal spell you don't need that soldier, so pretty much everyone in the game is expendable. :mrgreen:

Except for Siam because he kills the world when threatened.

Edit: I suppose you could kill Siam if you did so in one hit or from an unseen position (and were undiscovered in the process).
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Unclever title wrote:Edit: I suppose you could kill Siam if you did so in one hit or from an unseen position (and were undiscovered in the process).
I think in 1.05 BW fixed the crashing bug when Siam starts to cast a spell, but even before that, you could kill him if you are hidden in shadows the whole time so he doesn't see you, or if you use something like Supernova so you don't even have to open the door to his shop to kill him.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Unclever title wrote:Edit: I suppose you could kill Siam if you did so in one hit or from an unseen position (and were undiscovered in the process).
I think in 1.05 BW fixed the crashing bug when Siam starts to cast a spell, but even before that, you could kill him if you are hidden in shadows the whole time so he doesn't see you, or if you use something like Supernova so you don't even have to open the door to his shop to kill him.
I thought that he fixed that too but I tested it in 1.05 not too long ago and Siam killed the world again.

One potentially important caveat though... I used a save file that I had made from when I was still using version 1.04... I'll have to try it again with a more recent character.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Unclever title wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I think in 1.05 BW fixed the crashing bug when Siam starts to cast a spell...
I thought that he fixed that too but I tested it in 1.05 not too long ago and Siam killed the world again.

One potentially important caveat though... I used a save file that I had made from when I was still using version 1.04... I'll have to try it again with a more recent character.
No, I think as far as anyone can tell, Siam attempting to cast a spell still crashes the game, even in 1.05 - see for example Randomizer's post here (and my follow-up post on the following page of the thread).

Though whereas under 1.04 the game would instantly crash and dump out as Siam cast, under 1.05 it crashes and dumps out after about half a second (long enough for some combat text to pop up in the Display Text window.

(Though, now that you mention that, I'm not 100% sure I tried this one with a 100% v1.05-created character. I may have to try this again with one of my newer v1.05-created characters...)
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Um... for some reason, I don't remember, but . . . who was Siam, again?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Evnissyen wrote:Um... for some reason, I don't remember, but . . . who was Siam, again?
He's that guy that does the thing... with that thing...!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Jedi-Learner:
Ah, okay, I just opened a save file there and found him where he belongs. Thanks.

I actually had him in mind, but wasn't at all certain . . . the name, obviously, didn't ring any bells . . . or telephones, or coffeecups, or anything, really . . . well, I suppose it rang up an old Pink Floyd song... .

I wasn't aware that he destroyed the world when angered. Never tried to anger him before.

Note: But I did just notice, as noted by others, that the game does indeed crash if you attack him. Odd, but totally unimportant. I suppose that qualifies as 'destroying the world'... Solipsistically speaking. Anyhow: first time I've ever seen Eschalon crash. Interesting.

Speaking of bugs: Why does this new forum software keep negating spaces when you submit a post, so you have to go back in and fix it? It just did it again, except this time when I italicized the word "did", rather than after hitting Submit.

Why , why , why?

EDIT: Just found out who made that original comment about Siam:
Unclever Title wrote:Except for Siam because he kills the world when threatened.
I like that very much. Is Unclever a Solipsist, then?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

Evnissyen wrote:EDIT: Just found out who made that original comment about Siam:
Unclever Title wrote:Except for Siam because he kills the world when threatened.
I like that very much. Is Unclever a Solipsist, then?
Not in real life. :mrgreen: But that is my ad hoc explanation from an in game point of view explaining a game crashing bug.

Where in this case "world" is the current instance of an active program set to be ended at a particular point in time, wherein the creator have already left and the great intervener comes in and brings destiny to fulfillment through the actions of one being defined and chosen by the creator and raised by the intervener to choose the ultimate outcome and bring apocalypse to fruition.

Siam is a tricky character who through (or perhaps outside of) the creator's inscrutable will gained the impossible power to bring the "world" to an early end circumventing apocalypse and leaving the intervener with one burning all encompassing question. "WTF?"
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Unclever title wrote:Siam is a tricky character who through (or perhaps outside of) the creator's inscrutable will gained the impossible power to bring the "world" to an early end circumventing apocalypse and leaving the intervener with one burning all encompassing question. "WTF?"
Except that in this case, of course, your spirit does not pull away from its fleshy prison, and find itself surrounded by stars, many many stars.

Interesting talent, this Siam guy has. He not only kills you, and the whole world, but he kills your soul as well.

Little did we know: he, not Gramuk, nor Erubor, nor anyone else, is the one with the Power.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

WalterArcher wrote:I realized that parents were Philip- George Philip and Elizabeth .......... I wonder if Philip George will became George Philip could have? It was also his father, Philip was born in 1811 in England. I'm trying to connect my Winzer is. Winzer also spelling varies considerably in the archives of Winzer, Winsor, Winser.
Are you trying to sell me something?