Can armor be destroyed during combat?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
1unusedname
Apprentice

Can armor be destroyed during combat?

Post by 1unusedname »

Hey I've been playing EB1 for awhile.Lately I have had pieces of armor that somehow vanish.From my last save I have a helm,cloak and bracers that have all disappeared.So I was wondering is this a glitch or does armor have a chance of being destroyed from combat?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Can armor be destroyed during combat?

Post by Randomizer »

Some monsters, acid grubs, can destroy armor.
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

1)Wow someone replied sooner then I thought.Thanks for the info.

2)COOL!!I thought maybe there was some glitchiness occuring,but this is just another fine example of how much thought went into all of the little things in this game.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Randomizer wrote:Some monsters, acid grubs, can destroy armor.
More specifically, when the acid grubs explode, if you're standing next to them, you have a chance to lose any item you have equipped. Another reason why I love ranged combat. ;-)

Interestingly, other acid grubs are also not immune to the spray of exploding acid from their fellows. This can be very useful.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Also, you can break melee weapons if you use them to try to bash open barrels, chests and doors.
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

Painted Lady wrote:Also, you can break melee weapons if you use them to try to bash open barrels, chests and doors.
Yeah I knew that,first from reading some of the manual,second from my own experience once I discovered the joys of using the shift key :o I'm surprised there is no mention(at least from my limited reading of the manual) that armor can be damaged as well.I like to read,but when it comes to games and manuals I'm the kind of person that likes to just jump in and figure things out as i go along.
1unusedname
Apprentice

Post by 1unusedname »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Randomizer wrote:Some monsters, acid grubs, can destroy armor.
More specifically, when the acid grubs explode, if you're standing next to them, you have a chance to lose any item you have equipped. Another reason why I love ranged combat. ;-)

Interestingly, other acid grubs are also not immune to the spray of exploding acid from their fellows. This can be very useful.
When I rolled my first character I made sure all of my stats were no lower than 10,and I have a good amount of points in Dodge,so most of the time i can dodge the acid spray.Now that i know acid grubs can destroy my armor,I just quick save and after battle check to make sure what armor I have left is still there before saving again.But yeah,I miss my helm and black cloak. :( DAMN YOU ACID GRUBS!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Painted Lady wrote:Also, you can break melee weapons if you use them to try to bash open barrels, chests and doors.
Yes, it's always bothered me how in too many games you can bash away at a door, stone golem, metal golem, stone statue, metal structure or device and your delicate sword never breaks or blunts or receives any damage whatsoever.

Why a golem receives damage from sword strikes or arrow hits is totally beyond me.

...Or a spirit, for that matter. A spirit receiving damage from a simple melee weapon? Silly, silly, silly.

I'm not quite sure I remember if the ghosts in one part of Book I are damaged by melee weapons . . . if I recall correctly, it's only spells and magical weapons that damage them.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
dawnmaster
Pledge

Post by dawnmaster »

Yes, there is a possiblilty that armor can be destroyed during combat.
phaedrus
Apprentice

Post by phaedrus »

Evnissyen wrote:...Or a spirit, for that matter. A spirit receiving damage from a simple melee weapon? Silly, silly, silly.

I'm not quite sure I remember if the ghosts in one part of Book I are damaged by melee weapons . . . if I recall correctly, it's only spells and magical weapons that damage them.
Just magical weapons. And the bonus has to be to damage. If you only use ectoplasm and mercury to add a to hit bonus, you won't be able to damage the poltergeists. Just tried this the other day.