Little help please..

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
JHe
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Little help please..

Post by JHe »

Hi all!

Im new in this game so forgive my stupid(?) guestions! :roll:
I have two things whats bothering me in very start of the game. I already tried using search but didnt find answers..

1. How can I get map? That nice thing in right side of the game screen.. :lol:

2. Is it really true that only way to get rid of the dungeon fever is pay 1000gold to that dude in Aridell?

Sorry and thanks!
JHe
_b
Arkos
Council Member

Re: Little help please..

Post by Arkos »

1. You need the Cartography skill. I prefer to have at least five points in it, as that way buildings, water, and different terrain appear on the map. The more points you put into the skill, the more detailed the map becomes. Supposedly, with enough points, you can even see the position of NPCs and monsters on it, although I've never tried that before.

2. Not the only way, but the easiest. There's also a potion and a spell that can remove diseases, too. Are you injured at all? Try sleeping at an inn first, then go visit the priest. The price may be lower then, because you're only asking to cure the disease and not any HP damage, too.
JHe
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by JHe »

Whoa!

Thanks alot Arkos for the fast answers! U really cure my day :!: :D

JHe
_b
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

No problem. I was just in the right place at the right time. Otherwise, I'm sure others would have answered your questions for you.

But I'm glad I could help out. :D
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

And, to confirm from experience what Arkos had heard, living creatures will appear on the mini-map when you have cartography of 17.

The magic shop woman in Eastwillow almost always has a cure disease potion or two in stock (dark green with a single gold ring on the neck). Much cheaper than the priest.
EDIT:
Oops-- forgot this was the Book I forum. Heh. In Book I, the disease potions come in "lesser" and "greater" varieties. The magic shop woman in Aridell will often have a cure disease potion, but I don't remember right now what the color is.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
JHe
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by JHe »

Thanks Kreador!
_b
phaedrus
Apprentice

Post by phaedrus »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:And, to confirm from experience what Arkos had heard, living creatures will appear on the mini-map when you have cartography of 17.

The magic shop woman in Eastwillow almost always has a cure disease potion or two in stock (dark green with a single gold ring on the neck). Much cheaper than the priest.
EDIT:
Oops-- forgot this was the Book I forum. Heh. In Book I, the disease potions come in "lesser" and "greater" varieties. The magic shop woman in Aridell will often have a cure disease potion, but I don't remember right now what the color is.
It's kind of an aqua/green with a single (lesser) or double (greater) gold band around the neck of the bottle. (Lesser should be good enough for Dungeon Fever, and is probably cheaper than that scam artist in the bethel. I always pick atheist because the priests are a rip-off and the no-cursing power is the best.)

It's a favorite potion of mine. 5+ mercantile, 10+ alchemy, go to Gamfari and every week buy his coal, belladonna and some vials. Mix up some greater cure disease, profit.
LordFess
Initiate

Post by LordFess »

I am new but I noticed different diseases cost different amounts to cure....
like dungeon fever is healed at the temple for 50g and ...... knuckles desease its much more. Soemtimes its cheaper to let the preist heal you than buy a potion. I have a question.....Will the mercantile skill reduce the charge for healings and cures at the temple?
Gandaug
Initiate

Post by Gandaug »

No, Mercantile will not help with the priests.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

LordFess wrote:I am new but I noticed different diseases cost different amounts to cure.... like dungeon fever is healed at the temple for 50g and ...... knuckles disease its much more.
In Book I, there were two "tiers" of diseases - "Lesser" Diseases, and "Greater" Diseases. (Incidentally, I don't think the same is true in Book II, for some reason...)

As a result, there are two separate "disease" potions in Book I - "Potion of Cure Lesser Disease" and "Potion of Cure Greater Disease".

Anyway, that's what you're seeing.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Cartography Skill Table For Book I: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1555

7 points is really all you need to have a comfortable, accurate map.

Just 1 point is all you need for the cartography to start working. You'll see a lot of brown traces where the walls and trees are. Not extraordinarily helpful, but it's better than running blind.

I recommend to anyone starting at lvl1 to put at least 1 point in cartography, so you're not running blind.

In Book I, I used to always put 4 points in Cartography starting out. Book II is a little more challenging so I had to start off with just 1 point cartography, which was annoying, but I got through okay.

If I remember right: the shipwrecked cartographer in Aridell will teach you his trade if you retrieve his sextant, which takes a little travel (though not too much at all, if I remember correctly), but if you do that first thing and avoid any fighting if possible: maybe you can get by with 1 point cartography without suffering too long.

(But... then there's the issue of money... at level 1... .)

The "maybe" is because I don't remember how easy it is to keep from fighting anyone and also, at that level, how tough it is to to deal with them at lvl1. Never went there at lvl1 before, and I was always able to take them all out when I did. (Perhaps lvl3.)

Also I don't quite remember if the sextant is in a chest or not. I think it's in a chest. Somebody else please verify this?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Evnissyen wrote:Also I don't quite remember if the sextant is in a chest or not. I think it's in a chest. Somebody else please verify this?
The sextant is in a locked chest, yes, and it's very difficult to get to without some fighting, though if you want to, you can get the various creatures on that map fighting each other to reduce your own danger (also reduces your experience, though).

In the "your mileage may vary" category, I almost never start the game with Cartography. I don't bother with the minimap until I find the cartography trainer and can afford to buy the skill.
---

Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Oh, I'm sure it's easier to start with 0 cartography if you know the map beforehand. :mrgreen:
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Evnissyen wrote:Oh, I'm sure it's easier to start with 0 cartography if you know the map beforehand. :mrgreen:
I did it almost every time I've played both games. In Book II, I never got cartography until I'd reached Port K, and in Book I, I think I tried some cartography to start in my third or fourth play.

What helps is that I have a very good visual memory. :)
---

Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:What helps is that I have a very good visual memory. :)
That can help. :)