Second time through glitches

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
RaithenLost
Initiate

Second time through glitches

Post by RaithenLost »

Hi, puzzled over something. My husband is going through the game now, and he can't get some things to work that did for me. The brother was not there to talk to in Vela. The flavour text said there was a figure on the frame but there wasn't actually, and the knife rack was empty. And he can't get Omar to offer him the quest for the skull in Thorndike. Only options offered are to attack or leave, It's been a while since I finished the game, so I don't remember all the exact answers. Maybe I'm forgetting some trigger? But this does seem strange.... Anyone have suggestions?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Second time through glitches

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Sometimes the brother gets killed by the goblins, or by you if you're a mage using area effect spells. If he's dead, then you wouldn't have received the mission to talk to Erubor (in the Mage's tower), and he's the one who tells you to talk to the giants so you can get the skull quest. You can reset the Vela map by replacing the map files in your saved game with fresh ones. Somewhere on the boards there's an explanation of how to do this and exactly which files to replace where. That will put the brother (and all of the goblins) back in Vela and your husband can kill them more carefully this time so he can talk to the brother and move forward.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

This is really interesting to me, since it'd never happened to me before. I guess I just always assumed the brother would hang on (no pun intended) until that very last moment when you finally (surprise, surprise!) walk in. I went through Vela maybe 3 or 4 times different times with diff't characters, and Brother was always there.

This is just the sort of thing I love in a game: more complicated additions like this: the possibility of your brother being killed and taken down before you manage to stumble across him.

(By the way, Raithin: next run through I'd advise avoiding the Glitches. They can be nasty opponents. :D)

(Sorry . . . couldn't help myself.)

(It would be cool, though, were there an additional foe added to Book 3 called The Glitches . . . wouldn't it? They wouldn't attack you by normal means and they'd never, ever be consistent in their tactics, skills or weaknesses, and you'd have to employ various clever strategies in order to defeat them.)
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Nissyen wrote: This is just the sort of thing I love in a game: more complicated additions like this: the possibility of your brother being killed and taken down before you manage to stumble across him.
It's nice when they're planned features, though, since otherwise they tend to interact badly with other bits of the game. Missing out on the giant skull quest is a shame, doesn't make much logical sense, and shouldn't be a punishment for something the player didn't do.
Nissyen wrote: (It would be cool, though, were there an additional foe added to Book 3 called The Glitches . . . wouldn't it? They wouldn't attack you by normal means and they'd never, ever be consistent in their tactics, skills or weaknesses, and you'd have to employ various clever strategies in order to defeat them.)
Wild MISSINGNO. appeared!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Save File Error hits Bif (55%) for 9 damage!

Bif hits Broken Quest (98%)! Broken Quest resists all damage (98%)!

Bif swings at Can't Find File: mypic.gif, and misses! (1%)
Can't Find File: mypic.gif has disappeared!
Can't Find File: mypic.gif strikes Bif (57%) for 13 damage!
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.