What sold me on this game.

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Morstad
Pledge

What sold me on this game.

Post by Morstad »

I was playing the demo on my Mac and was exploring the wine cellar in search of the mithril bar.
At some point I got attacked by two poisonous lizards (Noxymander or something like that). I retreated to the opened porticullis to fight them single file and when one passed under the gate I said to myself "Hummm what would happen if I use the lever while it's underneath it."
BAMMM!!! 385 hp of damage! I laughed out loud. That's the kind of creative thinking I like to see rewarded in a video game (nethack is especially good for that kind of thing).

Congrats for a wonderful RPG, BW!
It's a real breath of fresh air.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: What sold me on this game.

Post by SpottedShroom »

That same effect gets used in more important ways later in the game. You may not think it's as funny next time you run into it :)

In Book II, the game even keeps track of the number of enemies you've killed with a portcullis.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

But you get less experience for letting the portcullis do the killing for you. :(
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Randomizer wrote:But you get less experience for letting the portcullis do the killing for you. :(
That depends entirely on what you kill. Portcullis is more XP for the red salamanders.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.