Who will you play?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Michael
Pledge

Who will you play?

Post by Michael »

One of the cool things about non-party RPGs is that you've really got to decide how to tackle the game - you're either going to be a thief, a warrior, healer or mage. No fitting into a well-balanced party here...

So just curious, as the clock winds down, what kind of character do you all like to play when you're solo?
Dagon
Initiate

Post by Dagon »

A warrior with social skills probably :)
I like playing warrior-type characters when i'm running through the game for the first time, but i would like to get as much as I can through conversation as well
Last edited by Dagon on November 18th, 2007, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asharak
Apprentice

Post by Asharak »

Warrior, definitely - I always find 'tank'-type characters to be the easiest to handle while trying to learn a game. That said, given the one-person nature of Eschalon, I'll probably spend a little time during character creation trying to squeeze in as many of the bare-bones thief/healer skills as possible.

- Ash
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Isn't there a Ranger type available as well?

If so, that's what I will play. I like Ranger's because you can still have decent melee abilities and use swords and stuff, but still cast some spells and I will probably put some skill points into lockpicking abilities. I hope I can play this way.
Michael
Pledge

yep

Post by Michael »

warrior tends to be the default when going it alone - there's always the fear when you play a thief that you'll end up a sneaky featherweight. Ditto for healers when the chips are down, which is a shame.
Sol Invictus
Initiate

Post by Sol Invictus »

I always play Rangers. I think they will be a good class since there is so much area to explore. I really like having the versatility of good melee, a bit of magic, and ranged combat. Now if we could only have a wolf as a pet. :wink:
Dhruin
Initiate

Post by Dhruin »

I think rogues get the most love from the skill system, but you have to be careful you still have some combat ability. You don't really need to stick to archetypes, though, with the open skill system.
Beorn
Pledge

Post by Beorn »

I'll probably aim for a jack-of-trades type character, unless I find out that it just doesn't work in this game. I'll be curious how the game deals with casters wearing armour, though.
Xian
Pledge

Post by Xian »

I usually play a warrior/melee character the first time through. It seems easier to jump right in that way, where if you play a mage or healer you have a slight bit of a learning curve figuring out the magic system.
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

It will try a Ranger. I always take the Fighter or Paladin. Time for something new. I like the idea of a bow-master with a deadly short-sword.
"FUL IR"
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Dhruin wrote:I think rogues get the most love from the skill system, but you have to be careful you still have some combat ability. You don't really need to stick to archetypes, though, with the open skill system.
Rogues do get a lot of love, but at the same time get a lot of responsibility. To go the thief route you've really got to plan to be successful (much like the profession itself). You can make a great thief but won't be able to fight at all and be missing some potentially profession-friendly skills like magic or alchemy.

What I found great about the skill development system is that you can make many different builds of one archetype. Not every thief, ranger, mage, warrior will be anywhere near the same, even though their goals may be.
It's a tricky and fun balance to maintain.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

So If I understand correctly, you can use skill points in any type of skill regardless of your character type however some types start higher in some skills than other.

For example, a thief would start much higher in lock pick skill then a ranger, however I could use a ranger and give him lock pick skill? Im guessing he would need high dexterity for this skill to work well.
Sol Invictus
Initiate

Post by Sol Invictus »

That's how I understand it.
Old School Gamer
Initiate

Post by Old School Gamer »

Some skills might cost more to raise for certain classes? I haven't studied much into the game but I'd imagine it'd be this way? I'm looking forward to the game too, just wanted to put in this thought.

But I'd think that for instance a warrior wouldn't find it as easy to learn magic skills as a magik user would.
ilui
Initiate

Post by ilui »

Classes just give you one free skill at creation.