Thaermore Revisited - A Mod

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Thaermore Revisited - A Mod

Post by xolotl »

Well, it only took me nearly a month, but I finally got around to doing a runthrough of Book 1 using this mod, and I think it turned out great! The new content really is seamless and blends in with the base game very well; I'd actually recommend that anyone starting a new playthrough of Book 1 (newcomers included) go ahead and use the mod; you won't be disappointed.
Spoiler wrote:My favorite moment was probably in the new basement that the Thugs had taken over; the closing door and the ambush once you go through. Very well done! I was also rather startled by the sudden appearance of the spider in the new cave. Very nice!
So yeah, great work! Thanks again for putting this together!

Oh, if you ever do come out with an updated version, I wouldn't say no to having some of the spider egg sacs on the second floor of the Goblin Citadel contain Spider Silk rather than just being decoration. It usually bothers me that they don't, by the time I'm there, because typically by that point I've run out of my own stock (I rarely remember to hold on to it, earlier in the game) and would like to imbue some armor, y'know? :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

This mod looks really great.

I am actually excited to see what people can do with some of the tools we release with Book III.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

I haven't gotten to this yet - am planning to save it for my Winter Break! ;)

Will report back here when I do play it...
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Jedi: What tool did you use to modify the Eschalon files, other than Xolotl's editor? Since his editor, as cool as it is, seems only to allow you to edit maps and player characters. I'm interested in seeing if I can add new material -- new [interacting] NPC's and new quests... without having to learn how to program, preferably.

BW: I'm looking forward to the toolset you release with Book III.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

I've made a couple of updates to Thaermore Revisited. If you've already played with the mod you can safely ignore this as nothing substantial was added. Updated download link is on the first post.

- - - - - - - -
  • The name of the cellar underneath Eastern Salted Coast has been changed from "A Dank Cellar" to "Cellar".
  • Based on feedback I've moved the sinkhole in the ruined building in Northeast Thaermore and removed a couple of trees at the entrance so players can go anti-clockwise around the building. Originally the sinkhole was next to the window but nobody walked on the tile. (img)
Evnissyen wrote:What tool did you use to modify the Eschalon files, other than Xolotl's editor?
I only used the editor.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Originally the sinkhole was next to the window but nobody walked on the tile.
Heh, it did get me on the way out rather than the way in. Would have been a bit more dire if that Noximander had been alive when I fell through; my char (a mage) didn't have much HP to spare. :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:I've made a couple of updates to Thaermore Revisited. If you've already played with the mod you can safely ignore this as nothing substantial was added. Updated download link is on the first post.
  • The name of the cellar underneath Eastern Salted Coast has been changed from "A Dank Cellar" to "Cellar".
Why? I kind of like the name "A Dank Cellar" better! :wink:
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Jedi_Learner wrote: Based on feedback I've moved the sinkhole in the ruined building in Northeast Thaermore and removed a couple of trees at the entrance so players can go anti-clockwise around the building. Originally the sinkhole was next to the window but nobody walked on the tile.
Actually, I did walk on that tile. What a surprise it was to be mindlessly wandering around and then to suddenly find myself in a sinkhole! Thought it was a great touch.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

I've made one more update to Thaermore Revisited which should be my last for this year. The basement in Northeast Thaermore was incorrectly set as an outside map, rather than a dungeon. :oops:
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Ever since April 2012 I've had 197 downloads of my mod and none of these people have said anything about it. You were the only person to go into real detail SpottedShroom and that was back in 2010.
Quoted from another thread. Thought it would be more appropriate to respond here. Anyway, I did download this awhile back, and I thought it was an excellent mod. I loved all the new little places it added to the game. In fact, you might like to know that each time I replay Book I, I always make sure your mod is installed. That storage space in Aridell is invaluable, and a must-have after playing Book II and having my own house to store stuff in.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
john1v6
Apprentice

Post by john1v6 »

I just discovered this mod and want to try it out. How do you install it on a Mac? I don't seem to have a "data" folder for Eschalon I (but there is one for the E1 demo, oddly). I tried to copy the files into the Saved Game folder of a brand-new character, but now Eschalon crashes when I try to load that game, so obviously that's not the solution.

I did a search on "35.ent" (choosing a file at random), and nothing showed up besides the E1 demo data, this mod's data, and my saved games. Am I missing something?
There are two kinds of people in the world: Us and Them
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

john1v6 wrote:I just discovered this mod and want to try it out. How do you install it on a Mac? I don't seem to have a "data" folder for Eschalon I (but there is one for the E1 demo, oddly). I tried to copy the files into the Saved Game folder of a brand-new character, but now Eschalon crashes when I try to load that game, so obviously that's not the solution.

I did a search on "35.ent" (choosing a file at random), and nothing showed up besides the E1 demo data, this mod's data, and my saved games. Am I missing something?
I don't have a Mac version of Book I, but I'm guessing that the data folder is inside the Book I app bundle. Try control-clicking on the app and selecting Show Package Contents, then look in Contents/Files.
john1v6
Apprentice

Post by john1v6 »

SpottedShroom wrote:I don't have a Mac version of Book I, but I'm guessing that the data folder is inside the Book I app bundle. Try control-clicking on the app and selecting Show Package Contents, then look in Contents/Files.
There it is! I didn't even know Mac apps had "Show Package Contents". I always assumed it was a single chunk of self-contained code. Now I've learned something today. Thanks!!
There are two kinds of people in the world: Us and Them
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

If anyone has an original copy of this mod I would be very grateful if you could provide a download of it.
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:If anyone has an original copy of this mod I would be very grateful if you could provide a download of it.
Check your IM
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.