Dungeons?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Dungeons?

Post by Saxon1974 »

Hello,

Im curious about the dungeons. What are they going to entail? Of course I wouldnt want spoilers, but do they have their own stories within the dungeons, or are they more hack and slash areas?

I have always found that hack and slash dungeons with nothing new to discover get rather boring.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Oops, I meant to post that in the QA section.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Back in the Olden Dayes of RPGs, dungeons were places of ancient mystery, myth and legend. The dungeons were places where things existed that comprised the stuff of local rumour and stories to tell children to scare them into behaving, places where things dwelled that people really didn't believe in anymore, or would just prefer to forget. Sites of old evils, or recently excavated ruins. These days they're just monster and loot pits, with no purpose other than to give xp and loot to PCs.

I'd love to see a return to the Dungeons Of Yore.. Have them mean something to the adventure and game world.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Gallifrey wrote:Back in the Olden Dayes of RPGs, dungeons were places of ancient mystery, myth and legend. The dungeons were places where things existed that comprised the stuff of local rumour and stories to tell children to scare them into behaving, places where things dwelled that people really didn't believe in anymore, or would just prefer to forget. Sites of old evils, or recently excavated ruins. These days they're just monster and loot pits, with no purpose other than to give xp and loot to PCs.

I'd love to see a return to the Dungeons Of Yore.. Have them mean something to the adventure and game world.
Very well said and exactly how I feel....
screeg
Marshall

Post by screeg »

Ditto. I'd like to see more mystery in dungeons, strange s*** going down, bizarre characters, talking monsters, creepy stuff like you used to get in D&D modules and games like Phantasie.

Temple of Elemental Evil captured that a bit. There was an organization in the temple with competing factions and personalities and politics, not just a bunch of monsters who bum-rushed you at the door.
Cyclopean - an HP Lovecraft inspired Role-Playing Game
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Yeah, TOEE did get some of that, though in the end it hardly mattered if you took the time to talk to them or just marauded your way through.

I should play it again with an evil bunch intent on taking over, see how that works out. Do you know if those horrible slowdowns that plagued the game were ever remedied?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
screeg
Marshall

Post by screeg »

I don't know about slowdowns since I never had any problems running the game, but Circle of Eight has released several mods, the first bunch to correct quest and rule issues, then many more that added content, NPC's, even new areas.

I'd definitely check out what they've done if you're going to reinstall:
http://www.co8.org/forum/
Cyclopean - an HP Lovecraft inspired Role-Playing Game