Sales?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Fleisch
Marshall

Sales?

Post by Fleisch »

If it's not prying too much, could you tell us whether sales so far are encouraging, disappointing, or about what you expected? (Or didn't you have any particular expectations?) :| Just wondering how it affects development prospects for a second game.

Personally, I'm loving the game. I even blew up one of my characters trying to find out if it was possible to throw a torch. :oops: (It isn't. Or if it is, I didn't figure out how.)

Incidentally, is there some sort of hidden derived luck stat? My second character got way better stuff than my first from the get-go.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Luck isn't a factor in the game...unless you personally feel luck has a factor in your life, they maybe you were just luckier on your second character. :) Seriously, most drops are random so you will see a lot of different things every time you play.

Keep some stones or darts on you, even if you are not skilled in Thrown Weapons. They come in handy for popping powder kegs at a distance.

Sales- they have been good, but I expected them to be good the first day. Ask me again in two weeks and I'll have a better forecast for the success of Basilisk Games and the future of the series.

Thank you everyone who has made a purchase in the past 12 hours. Seriously, you people are the best!!
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Re: Sales?

Post by Gallifrey »

Fleisch wrote:
Incidentally, is there some sort of hidden derived luck stat? My second character got way better stuff than my first from the get-go.
Heh.. I asked Thomas the very same thing when I was beta testing the demo! My first character made it through with really very little in the way of good treasure, but my second character was awash in good loot.
BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Thank you everyone who has made a purchase in the past 12 hours. Seriously, you people are the best!!
And the rest of us are currently broke :(

Anyone wanna lend me $30? ;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

Well I have my 30 bucks on standby here ready to add to your encouraging sales. In fact I'm desperate to give you my money after seeing the wonderful game you've made, what do I do?

Thing is my internet connection is messed up at the moment so now would be a great time to buy Eschalon and play it now; since I can't get much work done anyway due to lack of internet. But I'd rather have the Linux version for long term play once it comes out, that way I don't have to bugger about in windows. The sad thing is by then, I won't have as much free time to play it...)

Is the upgrading the license from Windows to Linux still a possibility?

As an aside; it runs fine on my Pentium M 1.6Ghz / 1GB Ram / Intel Graphics / laptop.
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.
Tomereader
Initiate

Post by Tomereader »

Another lurker here decloaking, its great to see an indie game make it to publication, very impressive, as are all the possitive comments on the board here.

Expect to see spikes in sales when you release the mac and linux versions as people like myself will be waiting (mac user), expect my money before christmas. Meanwhile I will have to keep away from the boards to avoid spoilers from members on PCs. Congratulations on a job well done.
Gods it's wet here
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

You might look into posting a link to buy the game on http://www.versiontracker.com . They support both PC and Mac. I check there every day for new Mac software. Urging people where I can to checck out the demo and buy the game. Great so far by the way.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: Sales- they have been good, but I expected them to be good the first day. Ask me again in two weeks and I'll have a better forecast for the success of Basilisk Games and the future of the series.
OK, I waited more than two weeks. Any updated forecast? Any support from the Mac and Linux gaming community? How does the future look?

Oh, and Merry Christmas and thanks for a great old-school gaming experience! :)
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Hmm I will answer this....things look good as far as I know....lets hope sales keep looking good, spread the owrd guys, we basically can make basilisk succeed or fail just by getting or not getting word out.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Well, we are going to continue doing what we've done all along- we are still planning on making Book II and Book III. I'll go one step further and say that we are even throwing ideas around and doing some design work on another RPG outside the Eschalon series.

Sales have been okay. We've had a decent first 30-days and are hoping for continued steady sales as reviews get posted and more people learn of Book I. As long as the projected sales hold out (based on first month performance) then we will continue to work on Book II, going into full production in January.
dak
Marshall

Post by dak »

That's great news, I just want to press how important it is to keep promoting and marketing book 1, having some experiance with this I know that an indie game is not like a big release into stores that will sell best the first days, and after that start to slumber, instead sales can increase after some months have passed and more and more people learn about the game! It might even be worth it to invest some money in marketing to get the word out even more.

So don't forget to keep promoting and get book 1 listed on as many portals and other places as possible. Even if work on book 2 started! It has been said you should spend as much time marketing the game as you spent on making it if you want it to be a big succses I think this guy had a point.
joshuapurcell
Initiate

Post by joshuapurcell »

I'm ready to purchase the Linux version, and from the looks of the demo it should be released soon. The only minor issue I've had was with sound, but the graphics and game control work without any issues.
Joshua Purcell
vid
Senior Steward

Post by vid »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I'll go one step further and say that we are even throwing ideas around and doing some design work on another RPG outside the Eschalon series.
Please let this be a eob/dm/lol-clone! :)
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Well, I'm sitting here waiting to become another sales statistic when the Linux version comes out - are we nearly there yet? Are we nearly there yet? Are we nearly there yet? Are we nearly there yet? Are we nearly there yet? Are we nearly th... awk!

But seriously, it's really good to see a games developer producing a game of this quality and preparing what promises to be an excellently working Linux version.