how to bind spells? and few other questions.

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
smokemk3
Initiate

how to bind spells? and few other questions.

Post by smokemk3 »

Im trying to bind spells the same way as in eschalon book2 and i cant.Please assist :D

Also other questions: Do i need to eat and drink in E.book1 ?
Weapons and items break, but how to know when i need to repair my weapons or items?
Last edited by smokemk3 on November 17th, 2010, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: how to bind spells?

Post by xolotl »

smokemk3 wrote:Im trying to bind spells the same way as in eschalon book2 and i cant.Please assist :D
It should be the same:
  1. Open the Magic window
  2. Choose a spell
  3. Choose a casting level
  4. Hold down the number key of the slot you want to use, as you click on "OK"
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

From a PM here:
smokemk3 wrote:1. there is no thirst and food bar, but if i click on well my character drinks, does that mean i still have to eat and drink water?
Nope, you can safely ignore (or rather, sell) all food/water items in the game. You can consume them, but they provide no actual benefits. Note that there are a few wells scattered around Book 1 which will do things like heal you when they're used, so it's worth it to explore wells at least once.
2. i noticed weapons gets destroy if i bash them to objects, yet there is no condition on items. Do items are cheap to sell if they are in bad condition(again, i dont see any health bar on them) Also, i can repair items right? How to know when i need to repair items?
There's no item condition in Book 1, like there is in Book 2... Items are always at 100%. Each time you bash inanimate objects (doors, chests, etc) with a weapon, there's a chance that it'll break, and the chance is primarily determined by your skill level in the weapon type you're using. If you have a very high Bludgeoning Weapon skill, you'll very rarely (if at all) have a weapon break on you. It's possible that "better" weapons have less chance of breaking as well, but I'm not sure about that.

Note that Bludgeoning and Cleaving weapons are much more efficient at breaking things down - other weapon types will break far more readily. If you have a single point in Unarmed Combat, you can bash with your bare fists without losing any HP, which is one way to make sure you never break a weapon.
smokemk3
Initiate

Re: how to bind spells? and few other questions.

Post by smokemk3 »

thanks for answers :)
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

xolotl wrote:If you have a very high Bludgeoning Weapon skill, you'll very rarely (if at all) have a weapon break on you.
Oh, and what I meant to say there was: If you have a very high Bludgeoning skill, and you're using a Bludgeoning weapon to break things, you'll very rarely (if at all) have a weapon break on you. Likewise for the other weapon classes.
thanks for answers
No problem! Enjoy the game. :)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

xolotl wrote:Nope, you can safely ignore (or rather, sell) all food/water items in the game. You can consume them, but they provide no actual benefits.
Not entirely true. Apples, as I recall, give you a couple mana points back when consumed.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Not entirely true. Apples, as I recall, give you a couple mana points back when consumed.
Aha! Right you are; forgot about those.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
xolotl wrote:Nope, you can safely ignore (or rather, sell) all food/water items in the game. You can consume them, but they provide no actual benefits.
Not entirely true. Apples, as I recall, give you a couple mana points back when consumed.
I think I remember eating fish will do that too. After all eating fish is good for the brain! :lol: Not sure though, been a while since I played.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

xolotl wrote:Note that there are a few wells scattered around Book 1 which will do things like heal you when they're used, so it's worth it to explore wells at least once.
Oh god, really? I found that way, way more wells in Book I do bad things to you than good. When Book II came out I was afraid to use wells and would always save first.
If you have a single point in Unarmed Combat, you can bash with your bare fists without losing any HP, which is one way to make sure you never break a weapon.
I like the footwear that gives you an Unarmed Combat bonus for this. Unlike a lot of gear swapping optimization, it even kind of makes sense - you have to put on your big crazy boots before you kick a sealed barrel to pieces.