Early Game (?) Spoiler wanted

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
DTravel
Initiate

Post by DTravel »

I finally got in to the office. Wandered the wilderness running from everything except toothed salamanders at level 5 because all my hits generate "no damage incurred". :roll: Finally scrapped together a half-dozen spare weapons and used them all up to batter down the one door. Used the key and then ran in to the invincible pair of zombies. Saw another thread about those but the advice there doesn't work. Can't outrun them and the gate you came in is closed by the same pressure plate that opens the zombies gates, something the "smash them with the gates" people apparently didn't notice.

The game is going away, at least for a while. I've been playing since the days of TSR-80s and Apple IIs and I've seen too many games that are just an excuse for the developers to prove how tough they are by beating up on the players and can only be completed by following a very exact sequence of keystrokes with no clues as to what those are. This one is showing all the signs of that and life is too short to put up with it.

Maybe I'll try it again in a few weeks, I don't know, but I doubt it.
Madmarcus
Initiate

Post by Madmarcus »

I found the walking dead to be too hard at 5th level also. So I just waited until later. At 7th level it wasn't bad.
Jaesun
Senior Steward

Post by Jaesun »

DTravel wrote:Used the key and then ran in to the invincible pair of zombies. Saw another thread about those but the advice there doesn't work. Can't outrun them and the gate you came in is closed by the same pressure plate that opens the zombies gates, something the "smash them with the gates" people apparently didn't notice.
**SPOILERS**

Wierd, I just re-loaded my save from that spot, my character is level 4, and I lure the undead into the room and outrun them just fine. I am not using any potions or anything. I don't believe stats or level effect running speed? Anyways, perhaps you are not staying in the room long enough to lure the undead into the room? I wait until the one to the right is about 3 or 4 tiles away from me, and then run.

As for the "smash them with the gates" people, if you run to the right, there is an Emergency Exit. Run through it and return to the area where the undead now are. Lure them to the portilicus door, and smash them. Maybe this helps?
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

I was level 3 in this dungeon, and I could run away and snipe at them just fine. Used up my arrows, but killed both of them with just lvl 1 Cat's Eye and Bless spells.
swapoer
Initiate

Post by swapoer »

DTravel wrote:I can get to the corpse preparation room. If there is a door from it to the office, I can't find it. No door visible and moving the pointer along the walls doesn't highlite one.
I have a hard time with this door too!There is some back door in the game,with the front door be locked.Maybe it is a good idea to add some tips to the game.I never think there is a back door existing.