An even better destroyers ending

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

An even better destroyers ending

Post by Vroqren »

I was going for destroyers ending about a year ago, and I found out an interesting fact that might be a bug. I killed every living creature in the game, including shop owners, but excluding creatures from camping, or other ways to get infinite enemies. I eventually got bored. I went back to the goblin citadel, and teleported into the spire. There, I skipped putting the Crux on the pedestal, but rather went and killed the guy there. About 20 of the guards pooped up, and then I proceeded to retrace my steps and put the Crux on the pedestal. The guy appeared again, this time one square above the other spawn point - for when you don't put the Crux on. I was going to go and talk to him from this view, when a guard that was already there killed him. Then, another 20 or so guards came out, and I had doubled my problem. After I killed them all, it gave me the message of getting the destroyers ending, but I thought it was weird that a guard would kill him. Anybody else ever had a similar experience?

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: An even better destroyers ending

Post by Painted Lady »

What great idea for getting more points!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Awesome!

As for why a guard killed the second king, it probably has to do with the way the game handles alignment for NPCs. "Good" NPCs don't attack you unless they see you commit a crime, but will attack "bad" NPCs. "Bad" NPCs will always attack you and other NPCs that aren't the same kind as themselves. There's also at least one "team" of bad NPCs that includes all the goblins, spiders, and taurax so they don't fight each other.

Since the guards should be hostile as soon as they spawn, they have to be "bad" aligned. There probably isn't a good mechanism in the engine to spawn them "good" and have them instantly become hostile to you as though you'd committed a crime.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Alright, I suppose that makes sense. I still wonder if anyone else ever did this for the experience etc.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests