I need some info on Alchemy

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I need some info on Alchemy

Post by deathknight1728 »

Ive read under both the faqs for book 1 on alchemy and i am still not sure what to do. I have just been thinking on what to do with my guy and alchemy. I dont have the skill but would like to get it.

Do i have to invest a lot of points into it to imbue a weapon?

How do i imbue a weapon?

And finally what can i imbue the weapon with? (Poison? Fire, Extra Attacks)?

Im sorry if this has been clarified already but i cant seem to find any info on book 1. Any help is appreciated as i dont know much about this game.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: I need some info on Alchemy

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Imbuing weapons is much more limited in Book I. You can add bonus To Hit and bonus Damage. That's it. Up to +3 for each. And you can add +3 Armor to any armor.

Here's the table for what you can do at particular levels with Alchemy: http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... f=3&t=2364

And here's the recipe list: http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=591

Note that in Book I, Brewmaster's Rings are +3 Alchemy each, the teacher can give you the first 5 levels (for 1500 gold), and the book will give you 2 more, so for maximum imbuing power you need add only 2 points to Alchemy from your level-up skill points (do so after training and book reading, clearly).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Also, be careful! I always do a Quick Save before playing with Alchemy. If you make a mistake you can get a fizzle and loose precious ingredients.

The most common mistakes I have made are:
- trying to mix a potion beyond your skill level
- forgetting to put on your rings and not having a high enough skill level
- putting the reagents and the reactants in the wrong slots
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Thanks for the info everyone!! Very Helpful. Im gonna see if i can learn the skills without putting many points in. I still dont know the difference between imbuing weapons with damage or with armor penetrating. Which is better?
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

You can do both most of the time. Any item can hold three enchantments, but only one of each particular type. So if you find an item with, say, bonus strength and to hit, you can add bonus damage to it but can't do anything about the to hit.

Both are good to have as one helps you hit more often and the other helps you do more damage.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Is my char lost?

I know this doesnt have to do with alchemy but im starting to wonder if i made the right skill choices in book 1. I am level 3 and spent most of my stat points in dexterity and speed. I am a rogue and i tagged these skills-

1 Dodge
2 Pick Locks
3 Skullduggery
4 Spot Hidden
5 Short Blades

I have no doubt that dodge will get better as time goes on and the same can be said for short blades. However, skullduggery and spot hidden seem like a lot just to disarm traps. I only get 3 skill points per level, how am i supposed to work on all of them? Shouldnt you get 5 or 4 skill points instead of 3. I cant wear armor either as there are no one around with the books to learn it. I really dont want to restart the game, can someone give me some advice on what to put points into. I dont need any help with stats, just skill points.