Everything respawns?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
noname
Marshall

Everything respawns?

Post by noname »

Having played book 2 I am now in book 1 and was doing very well until: I loaded my latest save to start playing and found that the entire map with the exception of Aridell has respawned. I had previously explored half dozen areas with cartography level 7 and now they are all blank white with respawned monsters. All my quick travel locations are still available but when I go there everything is spawned. This doesn't bother me too much because I have been looking for more fighting for experience anyway before trying any of the underground dungeons. I'm a ranger and have hard time in the dark so I was trying to get leveled up to get some magic, but is this normal? If so it kind of makes cartography useless. By the way, torches are not very bright compared to book 2 are they? Maybe try lantern untill I can get magic. That is if I can continue the game. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks. :(
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Everything respawns?

Post by Randomizer »

They only way for full respawns would be if your saved game file lost the stored map sections for those areas (3 files for each map section). Cartography doesn't affect the monsters. Quick travel locations would be saved in a different file within the saved game folder so that makes sense.

A quick look in the saved game folder should tell you if you have all the files.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Thank you Randomizer, that must be what happened. I will just start a new game. Book 1 is sure short on gold and mana isn't it. Book 2 was a real improvement. I'm getting frustrated. If I buy arrows I can't afford much of anything else. :(
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Not only will you have trouble affording enough arrows, if you aren't proficient (plus lucky) you can run the shops out of arrows before they restock. You need to add some sort of melee weapon to your mix of attributes.....
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

It's certainly possible to play through Book I using only a bow. You do need to load up on Bow skill, though, and use your arrows sparingly until you're skilled enough to use them effectively.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

god forbid a game have difficulty.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.