Core temperature

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Neueziel
Initiate

Core temperature

Post by Neueziel »

Hey guys, I just bought the game yesterday and from what little I have played U am really enjoying the old school feeling...but the problem is when i monitor my laptop temperature it goes really high, how can this game being 2D and with Ultima like graphics can make my dual core temperature really go up??

I am not a computer expert but if it keeps putting too much strain on my cores I may be risking them right??

I played several 2d games here(divine divinity,lionheart) and even some old school 3D like Gothic and such and my core temperature never went up so much...

My laptop is an intel mobile chip express family(128 MB dedicated RAM), 4GB RAM and Dual core processor by the way so the guy runs with no problems only this temperature rising that is my concern....
Enterian
Apprentice

Re: Core temperature

Post by Enterian »

Hi Neueziel!

Computers normally measure the core temperature and if it rises above the level that is set in Bios as max allowed core temperature, the computer automatically shuts down. So if these Bios settings are still factory default you should be ok.
It's also quite possible that the cooling ribs/fan needs some cleaning. This causes inefficient core cooling.

If a computer is technically ok, it shouldn't be a problem to use the CPU 100% for some time.
How high does your CPU get while playing the game?
Neueziel
Initiate

Post by Neueziel »

Well my speedfan program says that it runs with 98% of the CPU and the temperatures of both cores vary between 58 and 60 Degrees...sometimes 63 but its pretty rare....

My fear is that it may shorten the cores lifespan...i usually avoid playing games that are too taxing for them..and thats why i mostly stick with the Old school ones...never imagined that eschalon would put make the core temp go up so much....and I guess my coolers are not problematic since when the laptop is idle the temps goes to 35 degree at most....
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

While Eschalon has "old school" style graphics, it uses some "new school" style graphical effects (for transparencies, spells, and such). What appears to be happening is the terrible graphics that Intel made is not able to handle some of those effects and therefore passes the work on to the CPU. This in turn cranks up the CPU usage and thereby raises the temperature sharply.

Keep in mind that the titles you used in comparison had larger budgets and dedicated teams of programmers optimizing those games as much as possible. BW doesn't have that level of resources, so he's not going to be able to optimize the game to run "like butter" for every system out there.

Also, have you tried switching between OpenGL and DirectX modes? OpenGL generally gives better performance (and lower CPU usage), even on Intel's horrendous integrated graphics chip.

As far as shortening the CPU's lifespan... CPU's were designed to last 10+ years (well, I suppose that is questionable these days). The most you'd do is lop a couple of years off that. I'd recommend investing in a laptop cooling pad if you're going to be doing any amount of gaming on the system to keep the surrounding components cool.... those are the parts you need to worry about.
Neueziel
Initiate

Post by Neueziel »

Well yeah integrated graphics are really bad i got admit...that´s why i always stick with games that need 68MB videocards the MOST....I use an external cooler and my laptop is on a higher base to prevent direct contact with the wood and is not near the walls or has any wooden structure behind it....

And keep In mind i am not criticizing the Basilisk team...I Know that they are small and I was just caught by surprise since i target games with apparently low graphics and buy them to play here....It wont stop me from playing the game now or in the future....and 60 Celsius degree is kinda high but my model of the Intel Core Duo has an 72,2 Celsius degree limit...If Eschalon or any other game would cross it, my Laptop would shut down by itself to prevent damage....

Well I will think about if I am going to play the game now...i have plenty of other titles to play and lose those ´´few years´´would be worrysome in the future and I never heard about Laptop lasting 10 years,perhaps 5 years the most(right now I am kinda broke and hoped this laptop would last till i got a proper gaming PC)
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Well I've got a Compaq Armada 4131T that is still running like a champ... it's a CIRCA 1996 laptop that came with Windows 95, but I nuked that to run FreeDOS and mess around with a bunch of old DOS games. The battery even still holds a small charge, so it's like a built-in UPS. :mrgreen:
Neueziel
Initiate

Post by Neueziel »

Well older systems has that ´´mystical´´toughness on them that made them really resilient..I have an sega saturn that i bought in 1996 and two years ago I took him out of the box and tested an older CD and it worked flawlessly...

Hell when i was younger my brother spilled Soda on our Super Nintendo and the console was functioning normally for years to come before we sold it....

Nowadays eletronics seems to break/burn for even less...so I dont doubt that my intel core 2 Duo would last longer then five years If put some strain on him(there are other factors that could end my laptop but this is one of the cases)
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

If it's a laptop you are using, no need to stress before your cores reach 80°C.

And they should be able to handle more than 90°C.

Have you cleaned your laptop lately ? I won 10°C using a compressed air bottle (or whatever it's called).
Neueziel
Initiate

Post by Neueziel »

Yes its a laptop...the game reaches at MOST 60/61 Celsius degree....and everytime i have the chance i clean the cooler with an portable vacuum(from the outside not the inside)

I dont have an Air compressor so i cant clean it from the inside unfortunately...
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

You can buy an air compressor for about 10$.

Then just put it on next to the air fan, and watch the dust flow out (carefull, I choke a few times because of that).