Help, I killed all the Giants before getting the quest.

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
SiliconGod
Pledge

Help, I killed all the Giants before getting the quest.

Post by SiliconGod »

What is the consequences for killing off all the Giants early? And can I still complete the game?

OK, so I felt guilty while doing it, but the experience was too tempting.
Earlier in the game I was exploring and found the Giant village in Northern Crakamir. I tried to steal the key from the chest, but the giant chief wouldn't move and it's too well lit. I tried talking to him, but you're only given two choices. Killing him seemed the best thing to do, and easy since the Giants are so slow. And I think they are 300exp each. I killed them all.

Now I'm nearing the end (or so it seems) and am ready to enter the Goblin Citidel, except that the wizard Erubor urges me to befriend the giants. I came here and read about the skull quest (so that's what that was for!) and that the Giants help you in the end!

Should I continue on, or load an old saved game and play nice from now on?

Thanks,

Almost there!

SiliconGod
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Help, I killed all the Giants before getting the quest.

Post by Vroqren »

As long as you've got the red key from the chest, you should be fine. The fight in the goblin citadel may be harder, but it will be much easier with the "Flask of Incinerator Fuel" If you do now know how to obtain that, my walkthrough explains it under Chapter 4 of the Main Quest, Killing the Queen. Here is my walkthrough.
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... f=3&t=5067
Good Luck!

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Vroqren wrote:As long as you've got the red key from the chest, you should be fine. The fight in the goblin citadel may be harder, but it will be much easier with the "Flask of Incinerator Fuel" If you do now know how to obtain that, my walkthrough explains it under Chapter 4 of the Main Quest, Killing the Queen. Here is my walkthrough.
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... f=3&t=5067
Good Luck!
Hey, cool Vroqren! I never noticed that thread before.

I'll take a look at that in the next day or two, and I'm pretty sure I'll be adding that to the "Strategy Central" post for Book I. :)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

For maximum XP and comedy value, I suggest:
  • Kill all the defenders at the goblin citadel
  • Return the skull to the giant camp
  • Kill all the giants at the camp
  • Go back to the goblin citadel. More giants spawn - I guess they didn't hear that I killed all their buddies. There's no one left for them to fight, so you can kill them yourself.
SiliconGod
Pledge

Post by SiliconGod »

Thanks to everyone who answered. I did continue on to the Goblin Citidel, but it bothered me that there was an unfinished quest (the skull). So I dug around the forums and found the trick about deleting map files.
I found the map file for the goblin camp, deleted it, and it worked great!

I completed the skull quest and finished the game with the Giant's help.
But SpottedShroom is right. I couldn't help but think that now there are twice as many giants as before. Once the quest is complete, there's nothing stopping you from going back to kill the whole village and all the giants that helped you defeat the goblin defenders.

I didn't do it though. I finished the game, which is over pretty quick. Then tried the "Destroyer" ending and completed that too with help from my Oil stockpile, the Incinerator Fuel, and healing elixers.

Great game! I can't wait to see what has been improved in Book II.

SiliconGod