(Book I Mod) RD's Book I Mod

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

(Book I Mod) RD's Book I Mod

Post by raverdave2k »

I decided to have a little play wtih xolotl's very awesome map editor to see what it could do and very quickly got hooked and have spent the last week making a bit of a modification for the game.

To install v1.05 and under:
Extract the contents of the zip file to your Eschalon Book I\Data folder
(besure to make a back up of this folder first)

To install v2 and above:
  • 1. Create a new game and save as soon as the game loads.
  • 2. Exit back to the main menu
  • 3. Navigate to your save game slot (This can found in your My Documents folder on a Windows machine)
  • 4. Extract contents of zip file into the correct slot, over writing any files if asked.
  • 5. Return to game, reload your save and enjoy.
If you want to use an existing character you can skip steps 1 and 2 but if you don't return to the start house and save before installing you will not be able to enter the house later (you are not required to do so to carry out the quest)

Raver Dave's Book1 Mod v2 - This version uses save game maps.

Raver Dave's Book1 Mod v1.05 - Last version using global map files.

What does the mod include?
  • Island added off the coast of Aridel complete with dungeon / maze as part of a new side quest to earn another set of eggs.
    (See Eleanors office in Aridell for a clue on where to head.)
    While this area is avaliable right from the start I recommend you wait until you have a good character before heading in.
  • Rebuilt start house, inc second floor and a few secrets.
  • Rebuilt buildings in Bordertown, added a new building for Philip + some secrets areas and a tunnel to Darkford.
  • Extended Darkford, several new rooms including a secret enterance so you can come and go as you please.
  • Gates at Blackwater can now be opened with out commiting a crime (avoids paying a toll), south gate now functions.
  • Added hidden area in Blackwater with a stash of treasure.
  • Minor modifications to Underground Repository, Shadowmirk and Tangletree Forrest maps to accomodate new story.

Enjoy and please let me know what you think.

Updates (Previous versions avaliable here)

05/02/12 - v2.0 - Converted to save game maps, all codes replaced with keys and most of the letters relating the quest are now actual items that can be picked up.

04/02/12 - v1.05 - Added map file that had been missing from previous three versions.
Any one part way though a game using the older version can just copy island1_ug.map and island1_ug.ent from the new zip over to the data folder and then just continue on.
31/1/12 - v1.04 - Fixed broken sign in Aridell.
28/1/12 - v1.03 - Restored several missing Salamanders and Fungal Slimes on the starting map.
21/1/12 - v1.02 - Minor adjustment to stop goblins opening a locked door in the Secure Facility.
19/1/12 - v1.01 - Fixed a few walls that were not solid, fixed cabinet in start house.
Attachments
RDs_Book1_Mod-v2.7z
(199.39 KiB) Downloaded 1167 times
Last edited by raverdave2k on June 30th, 2017, 7:19 am, edited 16 times in total.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Raver Dave's Book I Mod

Post by IJBall »

raverdave2k wrote:I decided to have a let play wtih xolotl's very awesome map editor to see what it could do and very quickly got hooked and have spent the last week making a bit of a modification for the game.

To install extract the contents of the zip file to your Eschalon Book I\Data folder
(besure to make a back up of this folder first)

http://raverdave.co.uk/eschalon/RDs_Book1_Mod.zip

What does the mod include?

Island added off the coast of Aridel complete with dungeon / maze as part of a new side quest to earn another set of eggs.
(See Eleanors office in Aridell for a clue on where to head.)
While this area is avaliable right from the start I recommend you wait until you have a good character before heading in.

Rebuilt start house, inc second floor and a few secrets.
Rebuilt buildings in bordertown, added a new buuilding for Aaron + some secrets areas and a tunnel to Darkford.
Extended Darkford, several new rooms including a secret enterance so you can come and go as you please.
Gates at Blackwater can now be opened with out commiting a game, south gate now functions.
Added hidden area in Blackwater.

Minor modifications to Underground Repository, Shadowmirk and Tangletree Forrest maps to accomodate new story.

Enjoy and please let me know what you think.
Thanks for this, Dave! :)

I'm currently trying to finish up the 'mod' portions of Jedi_Learner's Book I mod (hoping to finish that today or tomorrow), so it may be a week or two before I try to take a look at your mod (I suspect that I'll try to take a look at your mod with a pre-existing and developed character...).

But I'll try and add a link to this thread in the Book I "Strategy Central" post in the next couple of days...
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

Whoops, I have just realised I missed some rather important files out of the zip so anyone who may have downloaded before this post will have a few problems (namely no NPC's on any of the new maps / in wrong place on the edited ones, and unable to go upstairs in starting house)

I have now reuploaded the zip, sorry for the error :oops:
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Will this work on a Mac version or is it only PC compatible?
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Dragonlady wrote:Will this work on a Mac version or is it only PC compatible?
'Mods' just involve swapping game maps in and out - they should work on any of the three OS's, as long as you have the complete Book I game app...
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

I tried it out. I'm running v1.06 on a Mac.

The expansions are pretty neat. Well done! I've visited the new home, the prisons under Aridell, Aridell Island, and Bordertown. I have encountered a few bugs, though -

1) The cabinet in the house at the start won't open. It highlights when I move my mouse over it, but when I click it, nothing happens.
2) The building behind Aaron in bordertown has a broken door. I can walk right through it without opening it first.
3) The fungal slimes at the start of Aridell Island could somehow see me through the rock wall and started trying to attack me. But I couldn't get to them, or they to me.
4) The stairs on level 1 of the prison says "Debry covers the stairs". It should be "Debris".
5) I didn't find any clue to the switch puzzle on Aridell Island, so I gave up on that for now.

I'll let you know if I find any others.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

Hi,

Thanks very much for the feed back, points 1, 2 and 4 have been sorted and a new version uploaded.
MyGameCompany wrote: 3) The fungal slimes at the start of Aridell Island could somehow see me through the rock wall and started trying to attack me. But I couldn't get to them, or they to me.
I have checked and the rocks are all set as normal walls so I'm not sure if there is a way to stop them seeing you when your on the other path, you will get your chance to kill them though.
MyGameCompany wrote: 5) I didn't find any clue to the switch puzzle on Aridell Island, so I gave up on that for now.
Spoler below (highlight to view as the normal
[+] SPOILER
[/spoler] tags don't seem to work for me)
The answer is avaliable on the island, somewhere between the boat and the puzzle :wink:

Considering your number 5 did you get into the prision via the emergency exit and guessing the combination?

MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

I was walking toward the top of the Aridell map, heading to the funeral home to get the cemetery key, and I noticed the ladder with a guard next to it back in the trees. So I went back to Aridell, found the new path back into the woods that led to the ladder, and went down. I haven't figured out yet why the goblins are there and what they're doing, but I found a pit to the next level, went down, and was quickly snuffed by a huge spider. That's when I stopped playing for the night.

I don't remember a combination...

About the switch puzzle, though - I found the guy in the water and the note on him, but I didn't see a correlation between the note and the switches. So I assumed that was a clue for something else...
Troy
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

The ladder behind Aridell is the exit for the Secure Facility, the enterance is on the island. The door at the bottom of the ladder should have required a combination to open, I've just checked and it's definately got the combo enabled on the uploaded maps so I don't know why it didn't ask you.

Do you need to enter a code to get out of your house or enter the room with all the chests?

And yes the note on the body is a clue for something else, I'm sure you'll kick yourself when you work it out but if you wan't me to tell you, let me know.

MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Yeah, the combination locks worked out the house. And I didn't have the combination for the treasure room, so I didn't enter there.

I can't remember how I got through that door... it's open, I didn't bash it. I do see a blood splatter on the ladder side of the door, and I remember battling a goblin. Maybe he had the combination on his person...? I can't remember.

Edit: I just played it again, and the goblin opened it from the other side.
Troy
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

Hmm, I guess the goblins can just open locked doors then. I've made a minor alteration that should prevent this from happening again.

Thank again for the feedback.

MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

No problem! Thanks for tinkering. It's fun to have some new places to explore!
Troy
ach1949
Initiate

Post by ach1949 »

I know I'm going to like this mod you've created. I went back to book 1 with the mod, and I have a short question. The very first map (screen) missing the fungal slimes along the path to Grimmhold East and salamanders & fungal slimes along the shoreline. Is this correct?
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

It may be missing some enemies on that map yes, I accidently deleted the .ent file for that map which contains the location of all the npc's, I had to re add them all manually and I might well have missed some off.

I'll reinstall the original file so I can compare, if there are many missing I'll fix it and put up a new version.

MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Yeah, I noticed that too. I thought maybe you had done that on purpose. Glad to hear those enemies will be coming back. I like the xp!
Troy