My God, it's full of win...

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
GrimRook
Pledge

My God, it's full of win...

Post by GrimRook »

A few weeks ago, I ended up with the strangest urge to replay one of my all-time favorite RPGs, Exile. A straightforward but well-told narrative set in a fully-realized, immersive world made it game that's still memorable 18 years later. Sadly, the game doesn't have a version that will run on my OS, and after struggling with DOSbox for a while, I did a Steam search.

The search turned up Eschalon, and I thought, "Why not? Looks like a simple, low-impact RPG." (I'll pause here for the laughing to die down.)

Instead, I got exactly what I'd been looking for in the first place - an old-school RPG with a well-told story in a beautifully executed setting. And it's even better than what I wanted, since it's a brand new game!

All told, the game took me just under 40 hours to finish (according to what Steam tells me, anyway); about 20 of those were with my second build (set my first attempt aside after I got Cursed by a Poltergeist - ouch).

This game is at least three different kinds of awesome, and I'm about to start Book II - but first, I had to say thanks. Thanks for keeping the torch lit, Basilisk Wrangler and Co. It's appreciated.

And if you're curious, here's what my character looked like after I returned to Crux of Ages:

http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w46 ... _00005.jpg

http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w46 ... _00006.jpg

You can't see it, but I've also got Thrown 2.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: My God, it's full of win...

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Welcome, GrimRook. Glad you found the game. It is all kinds of awesome, isn't it.

By the way, Spiderweb Software, makers of Exile, are still around and making games and just released Avernum: Escape from the Pit (also on Steam), which is a remake of Exile.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Now go back, kill the king and try to survive!
whitknight26
Pledge

Post by whitknight26 »

Just purchased EB:1 and wanted to comment about Spider web games. I own all of Geneforge, bought their new remake of a remake..and they also have a new line up called avadon. This is basically an inane comment..but ahh..maybe these two companies should merge and get these wonderful games out faster..:)
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

whitknight26 wrote:Just purchased EB:1 and wanted to comment about Spider web games. I own all of Geneforge, bought their new remake of a remake..and they also have a new line up called avadon. This is basically an inane comment..but ahh..maybe these two companies should merge and get these wonderful games out faster..:)
Cute comment, and interesting idea. However, way deep down BW and Spidey are artists with their own unique visions. It's kind of nice to have two indie studios making RPGs for those of us who love them.

Must admit, however, that I wish Book III were coming out sooner rather than later. It's been a long, two-year wait and we aren't done yet. It will be worth it because we all know how awesome the game will be...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Painted Lady wrote:
whitknight26 wrote:Just purchased EB:1 and wanted to comment about Spider web games. I own all of Geneforge, bought their new remake of a remake..and they also have a new line up called avadon. This is basically an inane comment..but ahh..maybe these two companies should merge and get these wonderful games out faster..:)
Cute comment, and interesting idea. However, way deep down BW and Spidey are artists with their own unique visions. It's kind of nice to have two indie studios making RPGs for those of us who love them.

Must admit, however, that I wish Book III were coming out sooner rather than later. It's been a long, two-year wait and we aren't done yet. It will be worth it because we all know how awesome the game will be...
Yes. What would be more useful was some background network of talented folks in specific fields that guys like Thomas and Jeff could call on to provide specific things they need, but which would take them a lot longer to do than someone who focuses on that (like generating series of sprites for character and creature animation, or whatever). Things that could make the development more efficient and improve the overall quality without losing the individual character.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
whitknight26
Pledge

Post by whitknight26 »

Alrighty, finished the first one. Loading up the second one now on steam - this game really should receive more publicity....I will admit...it has a pretty brutal learning curve if you don't read the forums(which ruin the game for me)..lol. Finally beat it with a hybrid build at level 14 (Tenth character attempt)..basically a paladin/cleric as far as NWN standards go.

Quick save says 10.0 hours right before talking to Malcomb.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Gotta agree with you guys on this one. Im currently approaching the end of book 1 and its alot of fun. Im hoping that book 3 comes out soon, however, ive yet to beat book 2.

One of the things i like about the eschalon series is the stat system that you have. You can really go about playing the game/replaying the game in so many ways.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
whitknight26
Pledge

Post by whitknight26 »

A game I'm playing now is Drakensang, I really don't understand the fan love it has, or why I"m even still playing it. Guess I'm just trying to figure out the appeal.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I have to agree with you all, especially this -
whitknight26 wrote:This game really should receive more publicity.
I have always tried to advertise these games in my signature (Only in places that allow it, don't worry), and don't think that anyone has ever regretted buying this game. All in all, it is easily my favorite RPG, whether because of the well developed plot, the extreme variety in each game, or the unique monsters and characters.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Nyte
Pledge

Post by Nyte »

How's this for a compliment?

I tried the demo, enjoyed it, then bought the game (Book 1) while waiting for Diablo 3 to be released. I bought Diablo yesterday but didn't install it; I just got into Shadowmirk and want to finish Book 1 before even starting Diablo.

Great job, Thomas.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I envy you being able to go right into Book II without having to wait. Personally I'm waiting until Book III is announced, then am going to replay the first two books just to get ready........