all books you find.

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Tranceman600
Pledge

all books you find.

Post by Tranceman600 »

Hi Everyone,
l'm new to this forum. My question is as follows: is it important to hold on to
all of the books that you find?
Be Well,
Tranceman600
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: all books you find.

Post by Vroqren »

There are a couple of books that are important, but most can/should be sold. Spoiler: Secrets of Transference Circuits from the Crypt is important - don't sell that. In Book II, Orakur: Of Fact or Fiction is also important. Other than that, I would read every book you find, and then sell it. Some might not give you skills, but they may prove useful, like the Light Armor field guide, or whatever it's called.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Vroqren wrote:There are a couple of books that are important, but most can/should be sold. Spoiler: Secrets of Transference Circuits from the Crypt is important - don't sell that. In Book II, Orakur: Of Fact or Fiction is also important. Other than that, I would read every book you find, and then sell it. Some might not give you skills, but they may prove useful, like the Light Armor field guide, or whatever it's called.
There is one book that's important. You have to hold onto it until you find where to take it and get a nice reward..after you do some more searching for what's needed. But any you read and it gives you a skill, sell. If it's a child's book, sell. Hold everything else until you find what to do with the special one. You don't have to carry books with you. Find some place convenient to store them and come back later. :)

One small hint: doing a quest for Wendy will start you on the road for what I mentioned above. :wink:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Dragonlady wrote:
Vroqren wrote:There are a couple of books that are important, but most can/should be sold. Spoiler: Secrets of Transference Circuits from the Crypt is important - don't sell that. In Book II, Orakur: Of Fact or Fiction is also important. Other than that, I would read every book you find, and then sell it. Some might not give you skills, but they may prove useful, like the Light Armor field guide, or whatever it's called.
There is one book that's important. You have to hold onto it until you find where to take it and get a nice reward..after you do some more searching for what's needed. But any you read and it gives you a skill, sell. If it's a child's book, sell. Hold everything else until you find what to do with the special one. You don't have to carry books with you. Find some place convenient to store them and come back later. :)

One small hint: doing a quest for Wendy will start you on the road for what I mentioned above. :wink:
Dragonlady gives great advice...for when you do Book II. ;-) In Book I, there are some interesting reads, and some useful books, but none that is as special as the one in Book II.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

In B1, there's the transference circuits book (or whatever it's called) that the gal in Aridell asks you to find. That's one that probably shouldn't be sold, so you can get the quest experience.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

:oops: sorry, I've been playing II and had that on my mind. :oops:

Thanks for corrections. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Tranceman600
Pledge

Post by Tranceman600 »

Hi Everyone,
l just want to thank all of you for the fast replies to my question. Dragonlady
stated that l could leave my books anywhere l find a spot. So if l terminate someone in there home l could make that my home then? lf l drop some items l still will have them when l return ? Do l have to put them in a chest?
l would appreciate some replies.
Thanks From the Tranceman60
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

You can store things in barrels or chests, and they'll remain there. Just make sure nobody sees you taking something out of a chest, or the townsfolk will brand you a thief. For that reason, I find that barrels are best for storing stuff. But either will do.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

MyGameCompany wrote:Just make sure nobody sees you taking something out of a chest, or the townsfolk will brand you a thief.
Just clarifying - they brand you as a thief even if they see you taking your own stuff out of the chest. So be very careful, a suggest barrels. In Book I however *spolier*:Once you have reached the underground repository, that is a great place to store stuff. If I recall there are two big chests in there, maybe only one. Either way, it's fairly simple to get to.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

MyGameCompany wrote:In B1, there's the transference circuits book (or whatever it's called) that the gal in Aridell asks you to find. That's one that probably shouldn't be sold, so you can get the quest experience.
Thanks for the reminder, Troy. I had completely forgotten that book. I clearly need to play Book I again sometime soon.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

MyGameCompany wrote:You can store things in barrels or chests, and they'll remain there. Just make sure nobody sees you taking something out of a chest, or the townsfolk will brand you a thief. For that reason, I find that barrels are best for storing stuff. But either will do.

I really wish I had known this when I went through book 1 the first time :oops: . I had to drop off my armor into a chest in the blacksmith's shop in order to carry that darn really heavy thing I can't remember the name of, an anvil or something that had to be delivered to the next town over? Anyway, I go make sure all the monsters are cleared out, then drop my armor and take the object, deliver it, fast travel back, take my armor... and he tries to kill me. I killed him and lost a good shop... as well as the majority of the rest of the town. :mrgreen: